Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Instead of doing homework, I made a GPA-AQ correlation chart. R^2 = 0.99422 so for GPAs from 85-90 it should be reasonably accurate. There is also a spot where you can enter your GPA and have the AQ interpolated from that.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6252028/GPA-AQ%20Correlation.xlsx

Would AQ scores calculated by this for GPAs below 85 be biased higher than what they should be?

Instead of doing homework, I made a GPA-AQ correlation chart. R^2 = 0.99422 so for GPAs from 85-90 it should be reasonably accurate. There is also a spot where you can enter your GPA and have the AQ interpolated from that.

Wow, going by that...

90.68 = 48.24

90 = 46.73

89 = 43.93

88 = 41.23

87 = 38.47

86 = 35.73

85 = 32.98

That would be one strict curve!

Wow, going by that...

90.68 = 48.24

90 = 46.73

89 = 43.93

88 = 41.23

87 = 38.47

86 = 35.73

85 = 32.98

That would be one strict curve!

Sort of makes sense--most applicants are probably in the 80-90% range so this allows for separation.

WRT accuracy at the extremities: probably not great, considering ~92% and up yields >50. 75% gives ~5, which may or may not be right...

Wait, why are you guys saying that the AQ this year is reasonable and expected?

Looking at the previous years, isn't this year's GPA for applicants invited for interview really high?

They have an Adjusted GPA (AGPA) this year. Your worst year is ignored.

I believe such a system did not exist in previous years.

Cool stuff, but where did you get the parameters to make this chart? did you use people's stats from last year?

Cool stuff, but where did you get the parameters to make this chart? did you use people's stats from last year?

They're from this year's interim stats. It gives, for various groups of applicants, the average AQ and average OGPA/AGPA. Since OGPA/AGPA are the only things that determine AQ at this point ("The first cut-off for invitation to interview is based on a score derived from applicants’ Overall Academic Average or Adjusted Academic Average (if applicable)..."), that's where I took the data points from.

The admissions blog now has a a post about FAQs for not invited applicants. Does this suggest that all regrets have now gone out?

http://admissionsblog.med.ubc.ca/

Probably haven't even begun yet, I'd wager

Keep in mind this curve only takes into account the OGPAs. Your pre-req and last 60 credit GPA is also considered.

Not for the pre-interview score

Keep in mind this curve only takes into account the OGPAs. Your pre-req and last 60 credit GPA is also considered.

Not yet... at this stage it appears the prereq GPA is not considered, and there is no longer any last 60 GPA.

Pre-Interview: The first cut-off for invitation to interview is based on a score derived from applicants’ Overall Academic Average or Adjusted Academic Average (if applicable) and a Non-Academic Qualities Score. At this stage the academic and non-academic scores are weighed equally.

It's definitely linear from the 85-90 range. Most applicants probably have GPA's within that region, so it's a stupid idea to use a linear fit.

Well, applying a curve in this range (to differentiate these more) would put much more emphasis on AQ over NAQ (assuming the NAQ distribution does not change), which presumably is not what UBC wants. Conversely, giving applicants in this range more similar AQ scores would do the opposite.

They're from this year's interim stats. It gives, for various groups of applicants, the average AQ and average OGPA/AGPA. Since OGPA/AGPA are the only things that determine AQ at this point ("The first cut-off for invitation to interview is based on a score derived from applicants’ Overall Academic Average or Adjusted Academic Average (if applicable)..."), that's where I took the data points from.

Ahh.. Well done. But I guess the actual thing may be slightly lower (ie people's actual AQ score maybe slightly higher than the output of your excel file), because some people will have 92+ GPA and would max out the AQ points but still contribute to the GPA score.

But for all intensive purposes, I agree with you.

Ahh.. Well done. But I guess the actual thing may be slightly lower (ie people's actual AQ score maybe slightly higher than the output of your excel file), because some people will have 92+ GPA and would max out the AQ points but still contribute to the GPA score.

But for all intensive purposes, I agree with you.

Agreed, which is why I included the caveat that it's probably only accurate in the 85-90 range. :P

Some other thoughts -

Interview decisions had been finalized last week or perhaps Monday to allow for the dissemination of the interim stats.

I guess they are exercising checks and balances over the course of the week as a precautionary measure?

In other words, the 640 interviewees had been determined prior to this week.

The "cut-off" is an arbitrary one that's probably set by the lowest TFR score invited to interview. They probably rank all the IP applicants by TFR from 1-560 and set the 560th's TFR score as the "cut-off". This is done separately from the OOP pool.

There are 48 fewer "interview seats" for IP applicants this year - and this is probably reflected in a comparatively higher (normalized) TFR score needed this year vs. last year.

Some other thoughts -

Interview decisions had been finalized last week or perhaps Monday to allow for the dissemination of the interim stats.

I guess they are exercising checks and balances over the course of the week as a precautionary measure?

In other words, the 640 interviewees had been determined prior to this week.

The "cut-off" is an arbitrary one that's probably set by the lowest TFR score invited to interview. They probably rank all the IP applicants by TFR from 1-560 and set the 560th's TFR score as the "cut-off". This is done separately from the OOP pool.

There are 48 fewer "interview seats" for IP applicants this year - and this is probably reflected in a comparatively higher (normalized) TFR score needed this year vs. last year.

Dont for get taking out the 10 year rule, which I thought would have brought down the GPA a bit, but i guess not.

Archived