Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invitations Are OUT!!!! Accepted/Rejected

It makes sense. They are taking off applicant's worst year (assuming they qualify for this which I'm guessing many will) which should boost the average GPA seeing tons of people have one year in particular (often first year) which dramatically lowers their GPA. Also, they invited fewer to interview this year so it would also make sense that those invited have higher overall scores than the non-invited people thus further driving up the average.

Ya, that sounds reasonable...I guess Im just sad

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried a polynomial line and it seems that it is a much better fit.

the equation is

AQ SCORE = -0.1022*(GPA%)^2 + 20.682*(GPA%) - 987.19

R² = 0.9999

EDIT: This is a fitline for the 85-90 range dont think it applies to <85 or >90

you didn't factor in pre-req % in your regression..

"Qualified applicants received an academic file review which included: review of prerequisites, calculation of the overall average (OGPA), derived from all university-level transferrable courses and the removal, when applicable, of the worst academic year to give an adjusted academic average (AGPA)."

From the interim stats .pdf:

British Columbia Applicants (BC)

File reviews were completed for 1066 applicants who were identified as BC residents. A total of 560 BC residents who achieved a total file review score of 60.49/100 or more were invited to interview.

I did the same calculation last year (I don't have last year's interim stats handy however), and I remember that 60% of BC applicants received an interview.

We're down to 52% now, folks.

you didn't factor in pre-req % in your regression..

"Qualified applicants received an academic file review which included: review of prerequisites, calculation of the overall average (OGPA), derived from all university-level transferrable courses and the removal, when applicable, of the worst academic year to give an adjusted academic average (AGPA)."

You are correct, I did not know that pre reqs are looked at pre interview. That just adds a whole nother layer making the math very difficult if not impossible lol.

You are correct, I did not know that pre reqs are looked at pre interview. That just adds a whole nother layer making the math very difficult if not impossible lol.

Quick question. What does it mean that the prereqs are looked at? Is that to imply there is a separate AQ calculation for just your prereqs and a separate one for all your other courses and both somehow effect your score. Or basically how is the system different from just taking all your courses and averaging them and entering that into a formula that gives you your AQ (assuming no dropping of lowest marks etc). Thanks for any insight you can provide

i don't think the prereq average is used in the AQ calculation.

taken from the blog:

Admissions

November 8, 2011 at 12:10 am | Permalink | Reply

Yes, MCAT scores will be looked at later on in the process. MCAT scores have never been looked at pre-interview. The cut-off for determining who will get invited for interview has always been derived from your academic score, based on grades (this year your overall or adjusted academic average, whichever applies) and your non-academic score.

I need about 45/50 on my NAQ to get an interview, which is about what I would have guessed before the process- basically I'm still a long shot but we'll have to see if they seem to be using std dev to do NAQ this year. :)

well u deserve a chance kyla, i've seen you posting away for a long time and im pulling for u!

The Academic requirements at UBC seem to be getting higher and higher with each batch. I am going to start recommending to young students to seriously consider going to Kwantlen or Langara as a way to get easy percentage points without having to fight the the death for a 92% GPA at UBC. Unless UBC takes into account the degree difficulty and school prestige, I predict the phenomenon of taking easy courses at a college will be the next big thing for UBC admissions.

If I was going to give advice to someone who was young and flexible at this point:

-Go to Yukon college for 2 yrs, get your AB, BC and almost SK residency status, plus points for NOSM, and the YT seat at MUN

-Transfer out to UofSask or UofRegina for the next 2 yrs

lol

I seriously thought about moving to AB. But my husband cant find a job there so I gave up this idea.

I seriously think admissions is making a huge mistake by making the focus more and more on the pure numbers. It think it's like basketball, and the GPA is like the player's height. I think while one has to be sufficiently TALL to play in the NBA it doesn't then logically follow that the taller the player is, the better the basketball player he's going to be. I mean, a 6'5 player could easily trump a 7'4 player in terms of skill and success in the NBA. Likewise I think a 84% could easily be a better physician than a 94% but tough luck folks who got cut.....sorry :(

But a 94% could just as easily be a better physician than an 84%. That's why there's a criteria or you'd have no way to determine who gets admitted and who doesn't even if the physician-like qualities of a 94% and an 84% are not very different. There are so many qualified applicants out there that this is more about how to select people for the sake of selecting people rather than for the sake of selecting future doctors in a way. There's been an upward trend in grades of those interviewed and admitted because there's been an upward trend in grades of those who apply.

Archived