Premed 101 Forums

PRAISE program @ SickKids?

Crane

I've heard about it and I work with a lot of the PRAISE volunteers regularly. It's primarily focused on screening and recruiting patients that come in for specific studies such as fracture studies, IV effectiveness for diarrhea/vomiting etc.

The volunteers are well involved in the screening process and they look up patients as they come into the department and determine if they meet the criteria for any of the studies. You work with both the doctors and nurses (but primarily the research nurses) along with other volunteers. It seems like an excellent way to get involved in clinical research and it can DEFINITELY open up a lot of avenues for you in the future. I would definitely recommend you applying and if you have any other questions about the program I can try to help you out

I just looked it up. Sounds like the kind of program that would be great for people with zero research experience, not so great for everyone else. I wouldn't apply...would be wasting 5 hours/week and it's not even paid.

Well consider that a lot of clinical research positions that are paid usually require clinical research experience from before

Sorry to hear about it. Do you think you'll apply in the future for it?

P.S. Very off-topic, but I love your username.

I hope not, I'm hoping I'll be in med and get clinical research experience there ;)

As for my username... I find it pretty amusing myself. I was trying to pick something random that wouldn't oust who I am, but it seems like I had a pretty fitting Freudian slip :P

• 11 months later...

Hey! Are you going to an interview this year too?

I just went today. The questions are pretty basic interview questions. Why do you want to be a part of the program? Describe a past experience when you had to ______ (something related to the position). It was pretty informal. I went in with another candidate and we did the interview together.

If you are going for an interview, good luck! Perhaps we'll end up working together!!

haha, me2... just seems fun besides the interest in the research itself. plus sick kids makes me feel like i'm a kid again :)

If I lived in the area and was enrolled in studies I would definitely apply. Even with my current research job I probably would apply because I think what they do is interesting.

Hm, that's odd. I do have research experience, including independent projects which I presented at international conferences (one of which I'm trying to make into a paper). With that being said, my experience is not in clinical research, so maybe that's why?

Archived