Premed 101 Forums

UBC Rotation questions

Hi, I heard that med students will start their rotation beginning 3rd year. Do all of you have to go out-of-town or even out-of-province? Are the locations assigned by the school or do you apply for them? Do you have to pay for all transportation (air fare/gas) and hotels? I assume the costs are tax deductible, right? Have you heard of anyone who just does the rotation in local hospitals? Just curious, thanks!

I had bizarrely good luck at UBC with respect to electives... albeit not without their cancelling my original placement about 3 weeks ahead of the time it was meant to start. Sent a very apologetic letter and got me something else, which ended up being much more convenient (to be fair, it was the particular department at the original hospital that cancelled).

If you're a UBC student you have to do a rural placement at the end of 2nd year. It would help to know if you're at UBC student or not.

Yes, hopefully! :)

I was talking to someone the other day about his son who's in UBC Med. He said his son has to travel all over the country starting in his 3rd year after doing rotations at various Greater Vancouver hospitals. According to him, all his son's classmates are also doing this. I didn't want to sound too desperate and kept on asking. Just want to find out more from you guys.

If you don't mind, could you also give me an overview of how this rotation works? Do you do each particular area (Gyn, OB, Cardio, ENT...) for a particular length of time and move on to the next subject? You guys used the term "electives". Does it mean you get to choose what area to do rotations on? I thought as a med student (except residency), you have to do all areas.

yes you rotate from one rotation to the next, probably at another hospital in the city. they last 4-6 weeks. there's no time to do all areas. there are certain areas that are more important than others, called core rotations. everyone has to do them. they are internal, pediatrics, gen surg, obgyn, psych, and family. the rest of 3rd is a few weeks of elective time. you can use that time however you want wherever you want. you can even do nothing.

At UBC, the 3rd year students are basically broken up into groups and each group has a different schedule and sent to various hospitals in Vancouver if you're in the VFMP. There are surgery, anaesthesiology, emergency, OB/GYN, orthopaedics, dermatology, ophthalmology, psych, paeds, and IM rotations. You have two weeks near the end of the year for "electives", which can pretty much be anything you want it to be, ie. clinical electives in the UBC program or an out-of-province elective or something non-clinical like playing video games.

As a clerkship student:

1. you pay your own gas, parking and transport expenses when on core rotations, even if it means you are driving 45 minutes each way for 6 weeks.

2. you pay for any elective fees, flights, rental accommodations while away from your home school (people spend upwards of $10K in 4th year on away electives plus CaRMs tour)

3. The only time you may possibly get reimbursed is for the drive to and from a mandatory rural elective. You may or may not (though likely the former) have provided housing if you're on scheduled rural.

The only way to get funding for any of the misc expenses is to apply for bursaries which are few and far between. Just add it to your LOC or student loans.

As a clerkship student:

1. you pay your own gas, parking and transport expenses when on core rotations, even if it means you are driving 45 minutes each way for 6 weeks.

2. you pay for any elective fees, flights, rental accommodations while away from your home school (people spend upwards of $10K in 4th year on away electives plus CaRMs tour)

3. The only time you may possibly get reimbursed is for the drive to and from a mandatory rural elective. You may or may not (though likely the former) have provided housing if you're on scheduled rural.

The only way to get funding for any of the misc expenses is to apply for bursaries which are few and far between. Just add it to your LOC or student loans.

Oh, that's why you need a LOC! Are those costs incurred tax deductible? I know usually you won't have enough income during clerkship years to claim the tax, but can you defer it like your tuition and claim it as a tax credit when you do have higher income later on? Also, do BC med students get any compensation while doing their clerkship years (I know some provinces give ~ $9000/year) ?

At UBC, the 3rd year students are basically broken up into groups and each group has a different schedule and sent to various hospitals in Vancouver if you're in the VFMP. There are surgery, anaesthesiology, emergency, OB/GYN, orthopaedics, dermatology, ophthalmology, psych, paeds, and IM rotations. You have two weeks near the end of the year for "electives", which can pretty much be anything you want it to be, ie. clinical electives in the UBC program or an out-of-province elective or something non-clinical like playing video games.

Wow, I like your guys' mandatory rotations. Lots of variety and some specialties that are not mandatory at other schools (e.g. ophtho), but are definitely useful.

Archived