Premed 101 Forums

Asking multiple profs for summer research

happy_happy

Hi

Currently, I am volunteering in a lab, but I want to be able to work over the summer in a lab. My PI at the moment said she will be my supervisor for NSERC, and my GPA is extremely high. But for some reason, I am concerned that I may not be able to get a NSERC fund, so would it be reasonable/appropriate if I contacted other profs for research opportunities? I know some profs are looking for summer student, or should I just stick with my current PI?

Hi

Currently, I am volunteering in a lab, but I want to be able to work over the summer in a lab. My PI at the moment said she will be my supervisor for NSERC, and my GPA is extremely high. But for some reason, I am concerned that I may not be able to get a NSERC fund, so would it be reasonable/appropriate if I contacted other profs for research opportunities? I know some profs are looking for summer student, or should I just stick with my current PI?

No because the profs will find out from eachother (because they like to sit down and show eachother the list of people that applied for summer positions every once in a while). Then they will all get mad at you and then noone will want to work with you

That is what I am worried about. I go to U of C, and I think many people are submitting an application. Is NSERC based entirely on GPA?

From what I understand, each school has a certain amount of funding from NSERC to fund undergraduate awards, these awards are then separated into different faculties within the school. Individual schools have different criteria of determining which students win the award, ie. highest cumulative average, with those best meeting the criteria being considered first and going down the list until all awards are distributed for the faculty. Typically, NSERC is awarded based on academic performance, but this measure varies widely with the school. The best thing to do would be to consult the research office at your institution responsible for NSERC USRA and ask for historical grades/gpa/etc. needed.

hehe, i've met thousands of university students and i only know of 2 (one was valedictorian of arts, i'm pretty sure he got a full ride to u chicago phd program), and the other got like all a+'s with a few a's, shes in conservation ecology... so yeah, not too many for sure

you know that there aren't that many students with an A+ gpa at any school right?

i had 3.88 the year i got my nserc and i'm pretty sure the prof i worked with helped me out a bit (i had a seminar class beforehand with her and got an a, plus was an uber keener and loved the class)

Depends on the school though...that's not high enough for an nserc at York psych. My prof said you need a minimum of an 8.3, which is ~a 3.86.

Archived