Premed 101 Forums

Academic ranking of worldwide universities in medicine and pharmacy

• 2 weeks later...
The ranking criteria on this is ridiculous.

Why do I care if an alumni received a Nobel prize?

Where is the criteria on facility, programs, fund ?

Actually that should be a criterion on which to rank schools. Canadian schools really can't compete because they have no money when you compare to big name schools in the US. Hence, they can't attract big talent. UBC's endowment is a paltry 1.09 billion.

Actually that should be a criterion on which to rank schools. Canadian schools really can't compete because they have no money when you compare to big name schools in the US. Hence, they can't attract big talent. UBC's endowment is a paltry 1.09 billion.

Most graduates don't win a nobel prize. Not to mention those who do are likely to be the 'special' ones that does not represent most of the graduating students in the program. So how does one special person determine how good the university is?

Most graduates don't win a nobel prize. Not to mention those who do are likely to be the 'special' ones that does not represent most of the graduating students in the program. So how does one special person determine how good the university is?

You're right. One person doesn't. But when you have an institution that has a history of producing 10, 20, even 30 Nobel laureates, that says something.

UBC has had one Nobel laureate. UC-Berkeley has had 22 (living and deceased) former faculty and 28 former students win Nobel prizes. Small numbers? Sure, but this is a way to separate the best from the very best. And trust me, UBC is hardly among the very best in the world, despite what you're spoonfed from day 1.

I've had many friends who have graduated with me from math and physics go to big-name US schools for their PhD who say they were never challenged like they were at UBC.

You're right. One person doesn't. But when you have an institution that has a history of producing 10, 20, even 30 Nobel laureates, that says something.

UBC has had one Nobel laureate. UC-Berkeley has had 22 (living and deceased) former faculty and 28 former students win Nobel prizes. Small numbers? Sure, but this is a way to separate the best from the very best. And trust me, UBC is hardly among the very best in the world, despite what you're spoonfed from day 1.

I've had many friends who have graduated with me from math and physics go to big-name US schools for their PhD who say they were never challenged like they were at UBC.

But challenging != good.

It seems that these mid-tier universities like UBC etc. tend to want to be super hard in order to justify their reputations as places of higher learning. That's all fine and good, but it doesn't really work. What works is how much money a school gets. That's really the only criterion.

By going to UBC rather than going to a better option just to be challenged, you're making the same move as trying to work a janitor job for minimum wage rather than getting a good career just to be "challenged" - sure its harder, but its not as good. Not even close.

I'm sorry when did I say that UBC was one of the best ? Or that it should be on the list? In fact I am not even in med school. I have also heard graduate students who went off to Harvard for PhD and said that they felt the difficulty was the same.

Also just to note that those numbers are way off for the Nobel prize laureates...

And how do you think those US schools produce so many Nobel laureates? Maybe because as you mentioned, more funding, more research, more opportunities and the schools have been established for a long period of time.

I am talking about medical schools. I am sure that most graduates do not go into researching in fact most med students that I know don't look at how many Nobel laureates the school has created when looking to enter, because they have no interest in researching. They might look at more like umm idk facility, residencies, matching rate , etc?

EDIT: Academic rankings... nevermind my posts, didn't see that part.

I find this list and their methodology hilarious.

Just as an example, check out number 14 and 15 on the list. While Minnesota is a great school, I doubt many would choose it over Mayo... and University of Arizona outranking Case Western, University of Virginia, and NYU?? Try telling that to the posters on SDN.

The criteria used have almost nothing to do with the quality of the education.

Chose any school you want in this country and you will be fine.

It's all up to you to learn the material and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I would still chose Ottawa because it has everything I want. Way too many things to ennumerate, but I almost feel like it was built for me. UBC on the other hand was not, but it sure seemed to be a better fit for my younger fellow students.

Agree completely, how good a school is is really dependent on what you want out of school, and if you enjoy seeing hot girls (of which there are exponentially more than provinces which will go unnamed) run in spandex in december then ubc's a great school (excuse the flagrant misogyny, lol).

The criteria used have almost nothing to do with the quality of the education.

Way too many things to ennumerate, but I almost feel like it was built for me. UBC on the other hand was not, but it sure seemed to be a better fit for my younger fellow students.

Agree completely, how good a school is is really dependent on what you want out of school, and if you enjoy seeing hot girls (of which there are exponentially more than provinces which will go unnamed) run in spandex in december then ubc's a great school (excuse the flagrant misogyny, lol).

UBC has an unbelievably high concentration of pretty young women, but for a family man, they are a forbidden fruit. I must emphasise again, though - unbelievable! Great for young, unattached men.

Not just UBC.

I can only speak from experience.

In addition, I must declare I have a thing for asian women. They look like delicate flowers but are tough as nails. I find them prettier, very charming and feminine. That's why, for me, UBC has the highest concentration of hot women.

Archived