Premed 101 Forums

Here's an example of what NOT to do in a surgical emergency

ghost dog

I don't know if anyone has posted about this medical menace yet, but whomp here it is:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/toronto-doctor-involved-in-liposuction-death-banned-for-two-years/article2279373/

http://www.cpso.on.ca/uploadedFiles/Discipline_Decisions/U-Z/YazdanfarB.pdf

I can not believe she didn't get her license yanked; this is just a travesty of justice.

This family " doc " decided it was a good idea to start doing plastic fantastic surgery awhile back. In 2007 she had a catastrophic surgical outcome: death.

In a nutshell, this is what happened: Yazdanfar (Y) saw a 32 year old pt , who decided she wanted liposuction of multiple regions, whom Y thought would be a great idea to do simultaneously. As documented in this "surgeon's" other cases , Y exceeded the recommended 5000 mls of total aspirate that the plastic surgery guidelines / standard of care recommend. However, Y doesn't " believe in " these guidelines.

I should note that it isn't clear if the total aspirate exceeded 5000 mls in this particular case.

Following the procedures, the pt started to go downhill: in a major way. she started to become tachy, hypotensive, then oliguric. The recovery room nurse got concerned, and alerted Y; what does she do ? Literally glances at the pt for 30 secs, and then returns to perform another procedure in the next pt. Yes , this actually happened. Her previous pt was crashing, and this doc decides it's OK to go to the next procedure. Dolla , dolla bills y'all.

Things pretty much get worse from here:

1.Pressors weren't used.

2. They waited more than 1 hour to call 911.

Y can be seen nervously pacing back and forth on the security camera, as it is obvious she has no god damn idea what to do. Finally she calls for help.

One of the worst things : anesthesia shreds the resusct'n notes taken that day on the pt. He lost his license.

When an ambulance and paramedics arrive, the pt is VSA. She died later that night in hospital.

How did this person not lose her license ?

How did this person not lose her license ?

Her defense lawyer was too good and the prosecution too poor. Part of the problem of our legal system.

I agree that it's a complete miscarriage of justice that she hasn't lost her license, but I console myself slightly in the fact that she won't likely be able to do this again. It's small help.

Her defense lawyer was too good and the prosecution too poor. Part of the problem of our legal system.

I agree that it's a complete miscarriage of justice that she hasn't lost her license, but I console myself slightly in the fact that she won't likely be able to do this again. It's small help.

And the fact she'll be royally screwed financially. One can only hope she still has mecical loans, a brand new bwm and a mansion in forest hill PLUS the $219K in fines and fees from the Royal College.

That's almost sweet poetic justice rkght there.

i agree, in this case anything short of having your license taken away is too light a punishment, if conrad murray and her had switched spots she'd be facing criminal charges right now... i'm not for throwing the book at every negligent doc, but stuff like this, where you are grossly, grossly, beyond are you mentally retarded negligent should come along with some sort of involuntry manslaughter tag.

I totally agree that this doctor should lose her license permanently. This was gross and intentional negligence.

I have to say however, that in general the college gives out fairly lenient penalties. I'd encourage you to take a look at "Dialogue", the magazine of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. Each issue has a section at the back where the describe the discipline cases the college has dealt with. I'm often surprised by how easily people get off.

Here's a link to the back issues of Dialogue:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/publications/dialogue/default.aspx?id=1866

I doubt it will in this case given the media attention and the pressure from specialty cosmetic groups on the college to snuff out their family medicine competition.

I still don't understand why we continue to let those with no surgical training run cosmetic surgery clinics. It's insane.

Buyer beware medicine is the future.

The increasing scope of practice of lower level providers in a number of areas is evidence of one thing: governments in this country do not (as much as they did in the past) see their role as one of protecting the public by restricting choice.

This has two components. One, they want to increase competition and lower costs by allowing more people into any given market for heathcare services. Two, they think that the public is sophisticated enough to take responsibility for their own healthcare decisions. The second one is often merely a justification for the first.

And the fact she'll be royally screwed financially. One can only hope she still has mecical loans, a brand new bwm and a mansion in forest hill PLUS the $219K in fines and fees from the Royal College.

That's almost sweet poetic justice rkght there.

Au contraire, mon frere.

This jackwad actually owns (or is part owner) of the cosmetic surgery clinic where this disaster took place (and yes: this clinic is still up and running with other cutters). The fine of $ 219000 will likely be not a big deal to her pocket book.

This is straight up ****ed.

I doubt it will in this case given the media attention and the pressure from specialty cosmetic groups on the college to snuff out their family medicine competition.

Thanks to this case, I believe family MDs doing truly invasive plastic surgery in Ontario is now a thing of the past.

I looked up some of the family docs who were doing this a few years ago, and they have now been stopped.

Archived