Premed 101 Forums

New Year's Resolutions

Cerena

It's definitely not that hard to add 5 lbs muscle per year.

If you are working out hard, getting a calorie surplus of clean foods, getting lots of rest, a reasonable amount is 20lbs muscle per year.

That works out to 1.67lbs per month, quite modest.

5 lbs per year is only "hard" if you are a bodybuilder like that guy, have injected tons of steroids into your ass, and finally reached your LIMIT. Then gains are hard.

It's a very fine line. As a regular guy, it is NOT unreasonably difficult to add 20 lbs of muscle in a year. There is a lot of room to improve and the goal is easily attainable with adequate diet and exercise. As a body builder, you have essential hit your plateau phase where it is harder to put on that last 10% than it was to put on that first 90% of muscle. Personally, I have put on 20 lbs of muscle in about 9 months when I was 17/18 for football. It also depends on your physique. Some guys can put on muscle easier than others, it's just genetics. 5 lbs is an easily reachable goal for 99% of people. If you put in the work, I can guarantee you will see the results.

To add to what aaron is saying- I am an Ironman competitor.ultramarathon competitor and have done races of up to 6 days in length. I just have to say, there are NO athletes I know who have more discipline than bodybuilders/figure competitors. None.

I absolutely need to add more muscle to my back since it's completely atrophied from my injury, but at least I know what is wrong with me now, so I can go forward. If I can gain muscle and lose fat this spring I will be super happy- back down below 20% bf is my goal for now. :)

Do you know what it takes to actually add 5lb of muscle?

Never missing a workout and alwahs training as brutally hard as possible, eating 5-7 meals *every* day and meals that are clean and *high* in calories getting plenty of rest because muscle grows when resting.

Do that every day for 365 days. Its totally doable but its nowhere near as easy as people think. Hope you do it :)

Case in point the following pic. Fouad is a good friend of mine and a pro bodybuilder. From 2001 to 2008 he's added 46lbs of stage muscle or roughly 6.57lbs per year and he's doing all the above to absolute perfection and then some. My point? It's not easy :)

386404_312483652116116_131874590177024_923998_1349661643_n.jpg

[*]say "no" more often to things that are not my responsibility and that I don't have time for

Ky, I resolved to at some point. Not for the new year, but sometime during last year. This is an excellent resolution and, though it is a hard one to keep, it can make a huge impact.

To get diagnosed with ADHD.

Scumbag doc today told me "change your school subjects to things you enjoy, you enjoy problem solving, go take ONLY problem solving courses for the rest of your life".

lmao, thats funny. and btw, everyone in alagaesia hates and fears you, still a cool username tho.

I have a system in place to achieve my goals for 2012. First off, I make a list of about 10 reasonable goals. Too many people make a big list of lofty, unrealistic goals that will probably not be reached. After I make a weekly table with all of my goals to chart my progression where I mark down if I'm on track or need to get back on the right path. This gives me a weekly reminder of where I am and where I want to be as far as my goals and helps me stay on track. I also make a list of a few "reach" goals that I would like to achieve but are extremely difficult to hit.

Mmmm... it's really easy actually, if you know how to work out with that goal in mind. A lot of people just go to the gym and work major muscle groups, no one does whole body exercises, or focuses on flexibility, agility or balance. It sounds like these exercises are really easy, but they're not when you get good at them, one of my faves is to start at the bottom of staircase with a wall with decent grip, press my back aganst the wall, foot against the other, and slowly climb to the top (about 15 feet, so not too dangerous), then go perpendicularly across the length of the staircase. These kind of exercises are really fun because they require extreme concentration, balance, and you develop muscles you never knew you had... you also can't quit because well, actually you can, if you think you can land the jump :P. Stuff like rock climbing and more intense forms of yoga, plus cardio (cycling, doing staircases and running are my faves, even though i know i'm destroying my knees, o well) will get you into this kind of shape, you wont be huge and bulky, but you will have very little body fat, washboard abs, great calves, and something people don't notive, great feet (you wont believe how much having strong feet and being able to balance on toes etc. improves your whole body co-ordination). The other thing is you'll get extremely strong, as least in your core and lower body. I can never bench as much as some of the guys at the gym, but when they go to some of the leg machines and see me doing the entire stack of weights with ease, they're shocked, i think they're also a little freaked when i go to do chin ups, get my legs pressed against my shoulders, flip backwards, and suspend myself doing an upside down reverse L for a minute, then calmly get my feet back in front of me, under the bar, and start doing chin-ups, i've actually never been in such good shape in my life since i started training with my friend who's a rock climber and ex-gymnastics guy. this isn't to trash gym buffs in any way, the gym is a valuable tool for low rep, heavy weight exercises as well as to make sure you do get hard work for major muscles, but i think a lot of people lack balance in their fitness, which is why a lot of people don't continue, you have to make fitness fun, and for a lot of newbies, deadlifts aren't fun :P.

reveal my 6 packs. same resolution 3 years in a row still no results :(

I would like to use this thread to make a note:

WORST. SAYING. EVER. I dislike it so much. I seriously feel like I die a little inside whenever I hear this:

"New Year, New You!!"

It took a piece of my sanity to even type that.

Also:

Mmmm... to start at the bottom of staircase with a wall with decent grip, press my back aganst the wall, foot against the other, and slowly climb to the top (about 15 feet, so not too dangerous), then go perpendicularly across the length of the staircase. ... great feet ...they're also a little freaked when i go to do chin ups, get my legs pressed against my shoulders, flip backwards, and suspend myself doing an upside down reverse L for a minute, then calmly get my feet back in front of me, under the bar, and start doing chin-ups....

You must be a very weird person to be around in real life.

Archived