Premed 101 Forums

New Year's Resolutions

Cerena

Every new year, many people look back at all the events that happened and think of how to move forward into the new year. While the thought of new year's resolutions might be cliche, I like to have some optimism that with there can be changes made that will be beneficial in my own future. And, while I understand that these changes can implemented at any time during the year, there's something special about New Year's Eve. Maybe it's the party, or all the fuss associated with it... Or maybe it's the champagne and time spent with friends and family :D

I'd love to hear what you're resolutions are for the new year. And, just for fun, you can even write beside it how likely think you are to stick to them.

fireworks-300x240.jpg

Last year I followed my very vague resolutions!

-Be more gutsy!

-Take more risks, don't be a pushover, trust my instinct, and go for my dreams :D

(for the regulars, it would be fun to see what you wrote down last year!)

This year I'm undecided but will write them down shortly!

Every new year, many people look back at all the events that happened and think of how to move forward into the new year. While the thought of new year's resolutions might be cliche, I like to have some optimism that with there can be changes made that will be beneficial in my own future. And, while I understand that these changes can implemented at any time during the year, there's something special about New Year's Eve. Maybe it's the party, or all the fuss associated with it... Or maybe it's the champagne and time spent with friends and family :D

I'd love to hear what you're resolutions are for the new year. And, just for fun, you can even write beside it how likely think you are to stick to them.

fireworks-300x240.jpg

Last year I followed my very vague resolutions!

(for the regulars, it would be fun to see what you wrote down last year!)

This year I'm undecided but will write them down shortly!

Getting a 4.3/4.3 in my first semester of university. :P

What I wrote last year:

My New Year's resolution for 2010 was to get rid of emails that I'm not going to read in a timely fashion so that I don't end up with thousands of unread emails stressing me out. And I actually did it! This year my resolution is to take the pile of clothes that is several sizes too big for me out of my living room and donate it to a women's shelter. I like to pick resolutions that are pretty doable.

Well, I got rid of the pile of clothes (kind of had to since I moved across the country). And the email was doing pretty well too, until about a month ago. This year I have a whole list of things that are mostly small but just things I would like to be doing regularly. And also, I am going to try to get my driver's licenses. Let's see if it happens. :P

My goals from last year were:

-Get healty enough to run again and stay injury free [X]

-Read more books [O]

-Go the the gym more often [O]

-Start practicing Judo [O]

-Not to give up things half way [X]

My goals for this year are:

Learn olympic lifts and hit the books hard...

i've been playing guitar and bass for over 10 years and have never done much recording, i definitely want to figure out how to record since i have a bajillion songs and partial songs written, and now with new technology it makes it a ton easier to record, espec since you don't need a drummer anymore :). another thing i'm finally getting is waking up early, even if i go to bed late, that is something that i will do in the new year (as yoda said, there's no try, only do, or do not, haha).

life's pretty kosher, i'm in good shape, only smoke a couple cigarettes a week, not really an alcoholic, don't have to worry about getting good grades since i've already been there, done that, got enough a's on the transcript to do whatever. so i guess all the traditional resolutions are out, lol.

add 5lbs of muscles

Do you know what it takes to actually add 5lb of muscle?

Never missing a workout and alwahs training as brutally hard as possible, eating 5-7 meals *every* day and meals that are clean and *high* in calories getting plenty of rest because muscle grows when resting.

Do that every day for 365 days. Its totally doable but its nowhere near as easy as people think. Hope you do it :)

Case in point the following pic. Fouad is a good friend of mine and a pro bodybuilder. From 2001 to 2008 he's added 46lbs of stage muscle or roughly 6.57lbs per year and he's doing all the above to absolute perfection and then some. My point? It's not easy :)

386404_312483652116116_131874590177024_923998_1349661643_n.jpg

Never missing a workout and alwahs training as brutally hard as possible, eating 5-7 meals *every* day and meals that are clean and *high* in calories getting plenty of rest because muscle grows when resting.

Do that every day for 365 days. Its totally doable but its nowhere near as easy as people think. Hope you do it :)

Case in point the following pic. Fouad is a good friend of mine and a pro bodybuilder. From 2001 to 2008 he's added 46lbs of stage muscle or roughly 6.57lbs per year and he's doing all the above to absolute perfection and then some. My point? It's not easy :)

k, 3lbs. LOL. I know it's tough; what do you think when you always read/hear about NBA/NFL/NHL players who "added 20lbs of muscles in the offseason", i lol @ that.

It's definitely not that hard to add 5 lbs muscle per year.

If you are working out hard, getting a calorie surplus of clean foods, getting lots of rest, a reasonable amount is 20lbs muscle per year.

That works out to 1.67lbs per month, quite modest.

5 lbs per year is only "hard" if you are a bodybuilder like that guy, have injected tons of steroids into your ass, and finally reached your LIMIT. Then gains are hard.

1. Continue working on cooking more for myself, in order to be healthier and produce less packaging waste

2. Keep working on producing less non-biodegradable waste (this is an ongoing one every year)

3. Start karate, start volunteering with Big Sisters, continue volunteering with the Salvation Army, and take advantage of attending every single outside-of-class workshop/health expo/volunteer or educational opportunity that my teacher mentions to us in class. Fill my life with more education, fun and good things and limit my couch time while still allowing myself rest!

4. Maintain an 85% or higher in all my classes

5. Most importantly- regularly do nice, thoughtful things for my boyfriend to make him feel appreciated. He mentioned it the other day and I didn't even recognize that he always does these things for me and I've gotten forgetful the past 6 months or a year- be romantic sometimes!

Archived