Premed 101 Forums

Gender composition in OT/PT

Hi everyone,

I know that PT and OT are mainly composed of women (even more so in OT). I was wondering what the gender ratio is in OT/PT classes today. Are more men being admitted in these programs or is it still mainly women. I have read that for OT the ratio is around 9:1. Is that an accurate number? Would a male going through the OT program be considered "out of place"?

Any comments or insights on this topic are welcome.

Thanks!

I don't know now, but 10 years ago I did one semester of PT at McGill and there were I think 5 guys out of around 60 students. I think it's still mostly women, but a man wouldn't feel out of place for that really I think.

(after PT I switched to computer science where the ratio was completely reversed and it was just fine)

The ratio in my med class is similar (around 7:3) and the guys seem to be doing just fine also.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone' date='

I know that PT and OT are mainly composed of women (even more so in OT). I was wondering what the gender ratio is in OT/PT classes today. Are more men being admitted in these programs or is it still mainly women. I have read that for OT the ratio is around 9:1. Is that an accurate number? Would a male going through the OT program be considered "out of place"?

Any comments or insights on this topic are welcome.

Thanks![/quote']

Still mainly women. In my OT class of 2010 at Mac, we had 4 guys enter a class of 68 I think. 3 graduated of about 60. More men in physio, but my guess would be no more than 1/4 from what I've noticed.

Male out of place? I'd say not at all (although I'm female). In fact, I interviewed one year and among other interviewers, we felt that since few men came by, they stood out (especially among more females). During the program, they fit in very well and the 3 that graduated each I think were quite successful in that they had a strong voice in debates/topics and were highly respected in the group. At this level, I found that the class was incredibly mature and professional. There didn't seem to be any issue about men feeling excluded.

It's less about more women accepted into these programs than it is about more women choosing these programs than men. I guess the reasons for that would be a hot topic.

Archived