Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

What the actual fuck ... I got 91 in a 4th year bio course and the prof said that 31% of the class had A/A+ and he had to take it to a committee and they made a "decision". Ended up with an A... I would imagine that in a class of 40 people that one extra person that had an A would be bumped down, not the only fucking person in the class with an A+

Who's face do I rip off? 

What class was this?

Go to the program director. If you're friendly with one of the secretaries at the UG bio office, talk to them first. Secretaries know everything.

FELLOW YORKIES:

Has anyone ever started an organization/club at York? I have an idea for one but it invovles a greater organization outside of York and Im not sure how to go about this, and if I need to actually be working for the greater organization before I suggest it to York. But I really want to make this work, I've slowly become a genuine huminitarian, ha (not for med, I probably wont even end up doing med hence my absense on the forums) and would like this program to work out, so we can get some donations in.

I thought asking a premed forum might generate the most responses since people here tend to be go-getters.

FELLOW YORKIES:

Has anyone ever started an organization/club at York? I have an idea for one but it invovles a greater organization outside of York and Im not sure how to go about this, and if I need to actually be working for the greater organization before I suggest it to York. But I really want to make this work, I've slowly become a genuine huminitarian, ha (not for med, I probably wont even end up doing med hence my absense on the forums) and would like this program to work out, so we can get some donations in.

I thought asking a premed forum might generate the most responses since people here tend to be go-getters.

Hey, I'm the president of an affiliate club at York. It's a pretty tedious and burdensome process to register a club and you do need to go through some formal procedures to have an affiliated club at york. PM me and I will guide you through everything. I will respond as soon as I have time.

I've dropped around 8 courses (most full-year) in order to maintain my A average at York and thank heavens none show on my transcript. What a blessing, best decision I ever made choosing to attend this institution. I still maintained a full course-load of 30 credits as they were replaced with others.

Though the class averages posted beside the grade is a serious pain, when you got an A and class average is B+ or you got B+ and class average is a B+.

I've dropped around 8 courses (most full-year) in order to maintain my A average at York and thank heavens none show on my transcript. What a blessing, best decision I ever made choosing to attend this institution. I still maintained a full course-load of 30 credits as they were replaced with others.

Though the class averages posted beside the grade is a serious pain, when you got an A and class average is B+ or you got B+ and class average is a B+.

That's ..a lot of money wasted though lol. I dropped one course last year and watching my online stTement take a hit was pretty sad.

That's ..a lot of money wasted though lol. I dropped one course last year and watching my online stTement take a hit was pretty sad.

You are absolutely right, but I figured it was a return on investment once I got into med school. Sucks really, the system we are in. In many European countries tuition is free and people enter professional programs directly from highschool.

You are absolutely right, but I figured it was a return on investment once I got into med school. Sucks really, the system we are in. In many European countries tuition is free and people enter professional programs directly from highschool.

Agreed. I also understand because when I was about to drop that course last year, I paid close to no attention to the financial consequence. If it takes me $10k to get into med school, then so be it, I'll pay it haha.

Does anyone know how to submit an NSERC USRA for york? 

York's website says explicitly not to attach a transcript to your application but the goddamn NSERC website won't let you submit without the document. How did you guys get the thing to go through? Attach a random document? 

I attached a transcript, but someone was telling me that you're supposed to get a special transcript from the undergrad office. I submitted my application before I saw the transcript thing, so I'm not really sure. My professor said he signed off on everything on his end, so I'm not sure if there is an issue.

I attached a transcript, but someone was telling me that you're supposed to get a special transcript from the undergrad office. I submitted my application before I saw the transcript thing, so I'm not really sure. My professor said he signed off on everything on his end, so I'm not sure if there is an issue.

Gotcha thanks. I've tried calling NSERC probably 12 times and left 2 messages, I'll just get a transcript and scan it I give up trying to figure this out. 

Gotcha thanks. I've tried calling NSERC probably 12 times and left 2 messages, I'll just get a transcript and scan it I give up trying to figure this out. 

I don't think it will be an issue. With that said, my friend told me that last year people with 8/9 GPA got NSERC, so maybe people with better grades screwed up the application like we just did LOL

I don't think it will be an issue. With that said, my friend told me that last year people with 8/9 GPA got NSERC, so maybe people with better grades screwed up the application like we just did LOL

dear god I just submitted the application today and the lady at the department told me it has to be submitted online with a screenshot of your unofficial transcript attached!!! THE DEADLINE IS TODAY 

oh yeah my prof already submitted it today the caps lock was more for you

Yeah, I attached my unoffical transcript because it was the only way for it to go through. My supervisor said he submitted it a few weeks ago. I almost don't want the award because I want to take molec I and II over the summer, but if I get it, I won't be able to turn it down.

Yeah, I attached my unoffical transcript because it was the only way for it to go through. My supervisor said he submitted it a few weeks ago. I almost don't want the award because I want to take molec I and II over the summer, but if I get it, I won't be able to turn it down.

Hey all you had to hand in physically was your Part 1 202, Part 2 202, and an unofficial transcript. I went to the biology undergrad office, and the lady told me that just take a screenshot of your grades at yorku grades and print it out.

BTW!!!! They are doing it differently this year. So there are 40 NSERCS handed out, but instead of giving them from highest to lowest gpas, they divide them up by faculty. They do this because they realized engineering students weren't getting any even though the faculty had many nserc grants to offer. This is because engineers have lower gas. So i checked in with the nserc people at york, and I also asked 3 different profs to confirm, but apparently the faculty of health (kin and psych) will get 7, faculty of science will get like 15 or so, and engineers will get like 13 I think, and I'm not sure how it else it is broken up.

Also, the lowest gpa to get it last year was a 8.3ish (but thats back when they just gave it out from high to low gpa). So a GPA of just 8, has absolutely 0 zero chance.

How long does it take for a grade to be changed? Prof said it was done but it doesn't show on my grade report?

Once the department's put in the request it takes a week or so to show up on your transcript.

Keep in mind the prof saying it was done means it's on the department secretary's to do list so add a week to when that person gets around to it. If you wanna accelerate the process you can always call your department and ask them to file it.

Anyone take Biochemistry with Emanuel Rosonina? Any info on midterms, i.e. how difficult and are they similar to kubiseski's midterms?

Sorry, I don't know anything about Rosonina except he's a pretty nice dude.

Anyways, Declan Williams Biol3010 midterm was ridiculous. For every MC question, he said there may be multiple correct answers and to get the mark you have to circle all correct options. There weren't any options like "A and B". Literally every question could have had every combination of answers.