Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Yeah I honestly thought it was terribly boring (which made it more difficult), but A+ is definitely possible if you can overcome that haha. I heard 1000 is easier than 1001 anyway, and I wouldn't take 1001 without 1000 (I don't think you can anyways, can you?), so doing 1000 is a good option, I think :) .

Thanks, I will pick it up.

I can usually get prereqs waived for classes in econ, business or anything related to stats because of my prior degree in math, but it is too much work for an elective.

Thanks, I will pick it up.

I can usually get prereqs waived for classes in econ, business or anything related to stats because of my prior degree in math, but it is too much work for an elective.

Lol, definitely. I think you'd be at a slight disadvantage taking 1001 anyway, b/c apparently the first half of 1001 is review of 1000. Also try to take it with Sadia Malik. She is exceptional! She is an amazing person in general and has the easiest tests! Class is not mandatory to attend either.

conflicted about taking Bio2070. It's a prereq for a lot of the upper year biology courses and I may want to pursue research after I finish at York, but I'm not 100% sure. It's a huge time commitment.

Try taking 2070 in the summer if possible. It eats up plenty of valuable time which could be used to study for other courses.

Try taking 2070 in the summer if possible. It eats up plenty of valuable time which could be used to study for other courses.

I would if I could. I have to retake Physics in the summer because I originally took it 8 years ago and McGill wants prereqs to be taken within 8 years of application. I can't retake it during the regular terms because Western doesnt count retakes.

Massive piss off.

Are biomechanics of human movement and psychology of physical activity and health lecture captures (videos) posted on moodle?

How achievable is an A+ in both courses?

What studying tips would you guys recommend?

KINE 3000 is not posted. I got an A (and close to A+) by memorizing lecture slides and adding info from the text. However, in retrospect, I think the best way to get an A+ is to have your lecture slides ready and go to every lecture and write the obvious notes down (i.e. when there are titles and subtitles but no info beside them). I hate kine courses b/c they are never explicit with whether or not you need the textbook lol - they said you did need the text, but on the final, I only recognized 1 out of 130 questions being explicitly from the textbook, but since it was just 1 Q I may have missed it (so it's possible that there are no Qs from text only). Also, you can miss tests and have the weight transferred to the final - I would definitely recommend to NOT miss the first test (the average was an A!), but as for the second test, it was a bit more challenging so it wouldn't be terrible if you missed that one :) . Another thing worth mentioning, b/c a lot of people complained about it, is that names of athletes, educators, etc. are fair game, and so are statistical findings (but only to an extent i.e. the higher end or lower end statistics). All in all, it's an easy A and harder, but totally possible A, but the course was a little too disorganized for my liking. There's also an assignment which is fairly easy to get an A, but hard to get an A+ - I heard if you choose to do it based on a book vs. movie that they're easier marking for books (which is probably true since the TAs have probably watched the movie, but not read the book).

KINE 3000 is not posted. I got an A (and close to A+) by memorizing lecture slides and adding info from the text. However, in retrospect, I think the best way to get an A+ is to have your lecture slides ready and go to every lecture and write the obvious notes down (i.e. when there are titles and subtitles but no info beside them). I hate kine courses b/c they are never explicit with whether or not you need the textbook lol - they said you did need the text, but on the final, I only recognized 1 out of 130 questions being explicitly from the textbook, but since it was just 1 Q I may have missed it (so it's possible that there are no Qs from text only). Also, you can miss tests and have the weight transferred to the final - I would definitely recommend to NOT miss the first test (the average was an A!), but as for the second test, it was a bit more challenging so it wouldn't be terrible if you missed that one :) . Another thing worth mentioning, b/c a lot of people complained about it, is that names of athletes, educators, etc. are fair game, and so are statistical findings (but only to an extent i.e. the higher end or lower end statistics). All in all, it's an easy A and harder, but totally possible A, but the course was a little too disorganized for my liking. There's also an assignment which is fairly easy to get an A, but hard to get an A+ - I heard if you choose to do it based on a book vs. movie that they're easier marking for books (which is probably true since the TAs have probably watched the movie, but not read the book).

Okay I see. I'll definitely focus more on the slides in that case. Thanks! And have you taken biomechanics?

Guest mmhs12345

Any advice on other kine courses

-Phys 1 and 2

-Anatomy

-Research Methods

-Stats

-Bio mechanics

My thought process so far is:

-Anatomy: Memorize all slides+rewatch lectures and add in small details

-Phys 1 and 2: Same thing as anatomy+ add in small parts from textbook for supplemental

-Stats+Biomechanics- Make notes from book/slides and do all the practice problems in the book.

- I dont even know what we are learning in research methods this year.

Is that how I should approach them?

-Phys 1 and 2

-Anatomy

-Research Methods

-Stats

-Bio mechanics

-Phys 1 and 2: Same thing as anatomy+ add in small parts from textbook for supplemental

-Stats+Biomechanics- Make notes from book/slides and do all the practice problems in the book.

That seems just about right. For physiology with Birot especially, I've heard that lecture slides suffice for what you need to know for tests.

Can modes of reasoning courses aid in allowing students to do better in Verbal Reasoning on the MCAT?

Most MODR courses teach concepts that help students to rationally distinguish right from wrong in arguments. Personally, this seems like something that can really help students correctly answer certain types of questions on VR (i.e. which of the following options support the author's argument...)

-Phys 1 and 2

-Anatomy

-Research Methods

-Stats

-Bio mechanics

For 2049/2050 I don't recommend skipping the exams, for some people it works out in the end but writing a lighter final takes away some unnecessary stress.

Anyone take any of these KINE courses?

HH/KINE 4420 3.00 Relaxation: Theory and Practice with Mark Cummings (i think)

HH/KINE 3465 3.00 Regional Human Anatomy II with Nicolette Richardson

HH/KINE 4448 3.00 Advanced Human Physiology: Endocrinology with Michael Riddell

HH/KINE 4240 3.00 Applied Human Factors with Mayzar Fallah

HH/KINE 4450 3.00 Advanced Exercise Physiology: Cardiovascular with Olivier Birot

Guest mmhs12345
Anyone take any of these KINE courses?

HH/KINE 4420 3.00 Relaxation: Theory and Practice with Mark Cummings (i think)

HH/KINE 3465 3.00 Regional Human Anatomy II with Nicolette Richardson

HH/KINE 4448 3.00 Advanced Human Physiology: Endocrinology with Michael Riddell

HH/KINE 4240 3.00 Applied Human Factors with Mayzar Fallah

HH/KINE 4450 3.00 Advanced Exercise Physiology: Cardiovascular with Olivier Birot

What do you think about my studying techniques for second year kine codes

courses

-Phys 1 and 2

-Anatomy

-Research Methods

-Stats

-Bio mechanics

Yeah, looks good.

I didn't use the textbook for phys really but it would help clarify things.

Is stats with mosher? Mosher is really easy.

Would a research practicum course be considered as an activity in medical school applications? Would it go under "research"?

Technically it is a course but the stuff I got to do in the course are actually significant and I've had to put a lot of effort into it and I will be continuing the study after the course is over.

Guest mmhs12345
Yeah, looks good.

I didn't use the textbook for phys really but it would help clarify things.

Is stats with mosher? Mosher is really easy.

Stats, research methods is with mosher.

Also, if I can get an a plus in stats 1, could I get an a plus in stats 2 or does the level of difficulty jump drastically?

I have my SHAY interview in a couple of days and I was wondering how is the interview like? In previous interview they have told the format for the interview, so we can prepare before hand, but for this interview we were given nothing. Also is it really hard to get to this club?

Stats, research methods is with mosher.

Also, if I can get an a plus in stats 1, could I get an a plus in stats 2 or does the level of difficulty jump drastically?

i don't think there is a jump in difficulty. i think both are easy. i think i actually preferred stats over research methods cuz it was more numbers based. but i guess for most ppl research methods is easier