Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Orgo 1 and 2 in the summer? bad idea?

I've read it's very difficult at York U, but I also read that Pietro's Chem 1000/1001 were super hard and lol

Good idea in my opinion, it's better to get it out of the way when you don't have a FCL. It's definitely manageable if you don't have any other major and time consuming activities.

Good idea in my opinion, it's better to get it out of the way when you don't have a FCL. It's definitely manageable if you don't have any other major and time consuming activities.

Awesome thanks.

I always get the impression that people who talk about courses being difficult online did very poorly, and people who do well in courses never mention that the course was easy.

After my 3 years at York, I've learned to not always trust RateMyProfs. I'd read about the "worst professor ever", and they'd turn out to be great lol

I know right! Keith White has terrible reviews on rate my prof but he's actually fine, I don't know what people are complaining about.

Orgo 1 and 2 in the summer? bad idea?

I've read it's very difficult at York U, but I also read that Pietro's Chem 1000/1001 were super hard and lol

I'm also taking orgo in the summer. The prof is new this year and he has good feedback from people who have him this year.

I heard the Ryerson orgo is easier though but i hate how Chang School has laboratory component as a separate course. I'm still deciding on which to go with but probably sticking with York.

I'm also taking orgo in the summer. The prof is new this year and he has good feedback from people who have him this year.

I heard the Ryerson orgo is easier though but i hate how Chang School has laboratory component as a separate course. I'm still deciding on which to go with but probably sticking with York.

Yeah, he did get good reviews, but I'm very skeptical on the quality of online reviews. Rate my Profs said Di Pietro was an incredibly difficult professor. I took high school chemistry in 2007 (and was never particularly good at it), and I'm excelling in his class (and actually enjoying chemistry).

Having said that, I am more likely to accept the good reviews online than bad reviews. If a prof gets a 1 for easiness, I'm going to disregard it. If a prof has a 4.5 for easiness, I will assume the professor is halfway decent lol

Also, a bit off topic: is there anywhere on campus where I can buy fresh fruits or veggies? Even cut up fruit or veggies.

Yeah, he did get good reviews, but I'm very skeptical on the quality of online reviews. Rate my Profs said Di Pietro was an incredibly difficult professor. I took high school chemistry in 2007 (and was never particularly good at it), and I'm excelling in his class (and actually enjoying chemistry).

Having said that, I am more likely to accept the good reviews online than bad reviews. If a prof gets a 1 for easiness, I'm going to disregard it. If a prof has a 4.5 for easiness, I will assume the professor is halfway decent lol

Also, a bit off topic: is there anywhere on campus where I can buy fresh fruits or veggies? Even cut up fruit or veggies.

I think there's a farmer's market every Thursday morning in the TEL building.

Berries and Blooms in York Lanes :)

Thanks Ill check out Berries and Bloom.

Does anyone know what happened to the 4.00 credit second year biochem courses? Most of the third year biochem courses list the 4 credit courses as prereqs, but only 3 credit biochemistry and cell biology are available.

A few years ago there was a lab component for the biochem, cell bio, and genetics courses. But then the bio department removed those lab components (changing the credit weighting from 4 to 3) and combined them all into one lab course, which is 2070.

I think you need Gr12 Physics to take 1410

Not too sure about this, one of the guys in my class said he hadn't taken grade 12 physics. I think high school prerequisites no longer count once you're in university, but maybe that guy got an exception from the professor or something.

A few years ago there was a lab component for the biochem, cell bio, and genetics courses. But then the bio department removed those lab components (changing the credit weighting from 4 to 3) and combined them all into one lab course, which is 2070.

Is 2070 now required in order to take the upper year Biochemistry courses?

edit: Nevermind, the upper year courses also list Chem 2020 6.00 as a prereq which (presumably) is satisfied by taking 2020 and 2021.

Guest mmhs12345

for anyone who every made an aamc account.

did it take a long time for the confirmation email to be sent to your email?

Im making my account and its not coming into my inbox. I need it to activate my account, so I can sign up for mcat.

How is the Biochem 2020? Easy/hard?

Easy in my opinion.

for anyone who every made an aamc account.

did it take a long time for the confirmation email to be sent to your email?

Im making my account and its not coming into my inbox. I need it to activate my account, so I can sign up for mcat.

Check your junk mail. I got mine right away.

Hey everyone, I am running for the science student caucus and would appreciate it very much if you can vote for me at evote.yorku.ca. All you gotta do is sign in, look for the science student caucus elections and click my name to vote! I don't want to disclose my name on this forum so when you are choosing who to vote for, I am the 6th name, between Ilya and Mansi. Thank you all! :)

Hey everyone, I am running for the science student caucus and would appreciate it very much if you can vote for me at evote.yorku.ca. All you gotta do is sign in, look for the science student caucus elections and click my name to vote! I don't want to disclose my name on this forum so when you are choosing who to vote for, I am the 6th name, between Ilya and Mansi. Thank you all! :)

Will do.

Has anyone been a peer tutor through Bethune College? I'm wondering if it looks decent on applications. I'm considering applying simply because its another EC and i find that teaching helps me retain and properly understand information.

Will do.

Has anyone been a peer tutor through Bethune College? I'm wondering if it looks decent on applications. I'm considering applying simply because its another EC and i find that teaching helps me retain and properly understand information.

They generally take ppl who have already taken the course and who achieved 90+ in the course as a starting point.

They generally take ppl who have already taken the course and who achieved 90+ in the course as a starting point.

What I meant was, i'd like to retain the information from courses I've already taken so that if future courses build on that material (or if its relevant to the MCAT), I don't have to relearn the content.

Will do.

Thanks!

Also I have been a peer tutor for the past 2 school years. It's a very common EC among med applicants but it won't hurt to have it! The time commitment is minimal with only about 2 hours a week (although you can choose to take more shifts) aside from bi-weekly 45 min meetings. You'll meet plenty of new people which is great, and if you're tutoring bio or chem, you'll get a sweet study room to yourself in the LSB study hall.

Also just want to say that if you're tutoring bio, don't expect many students to drop by. But if you're tutoring chem, you'll be teaching multiple people at once often.

One last note: Their rule is that you must have achieved an A in the course in order to be a tutor.