Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Did anyone here take intro to ethics with Susan Dimock?? (PHIL 2070). how do essays in philosophy work in general?

Haven't taken that course but have taken a few phil courses and unless you are a very strong writer who consistently gets A and A+ marks on argument style papers then I don't think it's something you probably want to chance.

Doing well on Lab reports don't count either.

Any of you taken NATS 1740 6 credit Astronomy condensed in winter with Radu I Campeanu

or NATS 1745 6.00 history of astronomy with Robin Metcalfe condensed in winter?

Any feedback, tips and past material you can provide me? Thanks.

1745 with Metcalfe is interesting, and quite fair as well. I recommend it. She gives you chapter questions that you need to answer and if you know every single question, you're almost guaranteed 95+ on midterms and tests. Assignments are really easy, I've gotten 100% on all of them so far. Term projects are also fairly easy and not too time consuming. The course breakdown is 30% midterm, 30% final exam, 8% quizzes (which are easy), 20% term projects (which I've been getting 90s on), and ~monthly assignments worth 12% (gotten 100% on all of them).

doesnt york have its own set of forums? and theres so many fb groups regarding bird courses/regular courses at york. go post in those for quick replies.

The calibre of student on this forum and on other places is like night and day thus likely to more accurate assessment here than there.

Not sure what the quick reply comment has to do with anything.

Guest mmhs12345

So im in Kin, and it's hard to take some of the prereq med school courses in 2 years (i.e Biochem and orgo for Ottawa) during the year because we have a lot of mandatory courses to take.

Is it doable to do chem 1001 and biol 1001 and a social science during the summer? That's what im planning on. Btw, does anyone know who usually teaches chem 1001 in the summer?

Also, anyone know any easy social science and or humanities courses?

Any of you taken NATS 1740 6 credit Astronomy condensed in winter with Radu I Campeanu

or NATS 1745 6.00 history of astronomy with Robin Metcalfe condensed in winter?

Any feedback, tips and past material you can provide me? Thanks.

I'm in that astronomy class with Campeanu this semester. Seems easy.

Haven't taken that course but have taken a few phil courses and unless you are a very strong writer who consistently gets A and A+ marks on argument style papers then I don't think it's something you probably want to chance.

Doing well on Lab reports don't count either.

Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't take it, but its a prereq for the Optom program.

Really? I find him hilarious. Can't really judge his teaching and testing style just yet though.

Yeah he's pretty funny and laidback as a person. As an instructor, he's pretty clear. His tests though are very, very specific. If you don't say something the way he wants you to say it, he'll take marks off. The questions themselves are fair, but be very detailed and specific in your answer. He'll mention this to you guys I'm sure.

Hasn't been a post here in a couple of days so I thought I'd continue. Just started my 2nd undergrad at York in the Health Studies program (switching to Kin in the summer) and just wanted to get some feedback on the courses I have and the profs if possible.

HLST 1011 Foundations of Health Studies 2 Dr. Nicole Tenn-Lyn

HLST 2030 Health Policy: Health Management 1 Dr. Peter Tsasis

HLST 2040 Intro to Health Informatics Serban Dinca-Panaitescu

HLST 3010 Social Determinants of Health Dr. Dennis Raphael

So far I like the classes. The textbooks are hella expensive though so I'm also wondering how useful they actually are for the classes.

Thanks

Hasn't been a post here in a couple of days so I thought I'd continue. Just started my 2nd undergrad at York in the Health Studies program (switching to Kin in the summer) and just wanted to get some feedback on the courses I have and the profs if possible.

HLST 1011 Foundations of Health Studies 2 Dr. Nicole Tenn-Lyn

HLST 2030 Health Policy: Health Management 1 Dr. Peter Tsasis

HLST 2040 Intro to Health Informatics Serban Dinca-Panaitescu

HLST 3010 Social Determinants of Health Dr. Dennis Raphael

So far I like the classes. The textbooks are hella expensive though so I'm also wondering how useful they actually are for the classes.

Thanks

Current Health Policy major with minor in psych. Also a second degree for me and have taken all the courses you list.

HLST1011. Tenn-Lyn is amazing. Couldn't ask for a more engaging professor and as an ER physician, she "gets" the policy aspects that affect medicine and health care - moreso than academics as she's on the front line. When I took it with her it was a purely writing-based course including the final exam. I don't recall the textbook being expensive as I believe it was just a course reader. If that's still the set-up you'll need the course reader for the summary assignments (if they still do them) and for the final exam. I got an A+ in this course (barely, 91) but am also a strong writer to begin with. Find out what your TA wants and deliver it. Also be prepared for the final. It is open book but you'll need to know where to find info quickly and be able to form strong arguments to the question being asked. Its not a simple regurgitation exam.

HLST2030. Tsasis is also amazing, unfortunately the course content is dry. He tries to levy as much discussion (despite a large class) as much as possible. If his course is structured the same, there is 1 exam and 1 final. The final will also have a case study. Each week he lectures on the theory and then discusses a case study to be able to interpret the theory and analyze into practice. Hes not hard but you do need to put in work for the concepts and how they apply in a HC setting. Got an A (83) in this course but I also have a degree in business, although I know I could have received an A+ if I hadn't taken it for granted thinking that I "knew" it already.

HLST2040. Took it, boring as f$%$ but easy enough. Didn't have the prof you have but the course was pretty easy. Midterm, final plus a glossary assignment. Exams, we basically all memorization. Mileage with this info will vary depending on prof. Got an A here as well (81)

HLST3010. Took it last year, got an A (87) but I had Gorman instead so course format might vary. In my course we had 3 writing assignments and no exam although one could view the final writing assignment as a take-home exam. Dennis is THE guy on SDOH (numerous books and even more papers on the topic) so he absolutely knows what he is talking about and so you better know too during your assignments. If you want an A expect to be able to write very well argue very well, and understand the topics very well.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Current Health Policy major with minor in psych. Also a second degree for me and have taken all the courses you list.

HLST1011. Tenn-Lyn is amazing. Couldn't ask for a more engaging professor and as an ER physician, she "gets" the policy aspects that affect medicine and health care - moreso than academics as she's on the front line. When I took it with her it was a purely writing-based course including the final exam. I don't recall the textbook being expensive as I believe it was just a course reader. If that's still the set-up you'll need the course reader for the summary assignments (if they still do them) and for the final exam. I got an A+ in this course (barely, 91) but am also a strong writer to begin with. Find out what your TA wants and deliver it. Also be prepared for the final. It is open book but you'll need to know where to find info quickly and be able to form strong arguments to the question being asked. Its not a simple regurgitation exam.

HLST2030. Tsasis is also amazing, unfortunately the course content is dry. He tries to levy as much discussion (despite a large class) as much as possible. If his course is structured the same, there is 1 exam and 1 final. The final will also have a case study. Each week he lectures on the theory and then discusses a case study to be able to interpret the theory and analyze into practice. Hes not hard but you do need to put in work for the concepts and how they apply in a HC setting. Got an A (83) in this course but I also have a degree in business, although I know I could have received an A+ if I hadn't taken it for granted thinking that I "knew" it already.

HLST2040. Took it, boring as f$%$ but easy enough. Didn't have the prof you have but the course was pretty easy. Midterm, final plus a glossary assignment. Exams, we basically all memorization. Mileage with this info will vary depending on prof. Got an A here as well (81)

HLST3010. Took it last year, got an A (87) but I had Gorman instead so course format might vary. In my course we had 3 writing assignments and no exam although one could view the final writing assignment as a take-home exam. Dennis is THE guy on SDOH (numerous books and even more papers on the topic) so he absolutely knows what he is talking about and so you better know too during your assignments. If you want an A expect to be able to write very well argue very well, and understand the topics very well.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks so much for the reply. What you wrote helps a lot. HLST 2040 the prof gave us 4 10% quizzes instead of a midterm and a group writing assignment worth 25% and a 35% final exam. For HLST 3010, we got chapter summaries worth 10% (1% for each one), 2 10% short papers, a 35% term paper and a 35% final exam.

I feel pretty confident with my writing capabilities, but I don't want to take anything for granted this second time around.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mmhs12345

Question.

If someone's grade is 0.5 away from a letter grade, will you automatically be rounded to the upper letter grade?

Ex: If I get 89.5 in a course, do I get rounded automatically to a 90?

And does that happen in all courses?

Also, has anyone ever got an 89 or 88 in a course, and asked the course instructor for you to be rounded up? Have they done it?

Question.

If someone's grade is 0.5 away from a letter grade, will you automatically be rounded to the upper letter grade?

Also, has anyone ever got an 89 or 88 in a course, and asked the course instructor for you to be rounded up? Have they done it?

They don't have to at all and most won't. It's not fair if they only raise your mark. As far as I know from the classes that I took, 89.5 got rounded, 89s sometimes get rounded and 88s occasionally get rounded (in 4th year courses). It's all based on how many students already obtained A+s

Question.

I think they always round it up if you are within 0.5% away from the next letter grade. Whenever I end up with a mark of 88-89, I usually approach the professor and ask for a bump. I did this 3 times and it worked 2 of those times.

EDIT: Don't take this out of context and refer to next post:

Just to be clear, I only approached professors for a bump when I really felt I deserved a higher grade. I would not randomly walk in their office and ask for them to raise my mark for no reason. We would review tests/exams together and I would make valid points. When they felt my arguments had some merit, they'd award me the extra 1-2%. Ironically though the one professor that did not agree to bump my mark (Hempstead); I had an 89.3% and I was graded pretty harshly by some TA on the final for CHEM 1001. Oh well

I think they always round it up if you are within 0.5% away from the next letter grade. Whenever I end up with a mark of 87-89, I always approach the professor and ask for a bump. I did this 4 times and it worked 3 of those times.

What? People actually do this?! Seems seriously unfair for the rest of us who suck it up and take the grade we earned.