Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

What? People actually do this?! Seems seriously unfair for the rest of us who suck it up and take the grade we earned.

I rarely hear people getting bumped to the next letter grade if they are not at least 0.5% away from it. Yeah it is unfair I guess but the York school system itself is pretty messed up. How is an 80 the same letter grade as 85-89?

The only way I got a bump in letter grade was when my instructor reviewed my exam and awarded marks where necessary.

This is my logic, if you get a high 80 final mark, you might as well ask the instructor to check over your assignment or exams to see if you can get more marks or if the TA marked harshly (in my case). Even if they deduct marks, the likelihood that you drop a letter grade (since 80-89 is A) is unlikely.

I rarely hear people getting bumped to the next letter grade if they are not at least 0.5% away from it. Yeah it is unfair I guess but the York school system itself is pretty messed up. How is an 80 the same letter grade as 85-89?

The only way I got a bump in letter grade was when my instructor reviewed my exam and awarded marks where necessary.

This is my logic, if you get a high 80 final mark, you might as well ask the instructor to check over your assignment or exams to see if you can get more marks or if the TA marked harshly (in my case). Even if they deduct marks, the likelihood that you drop a letter grade (since 80-89 is A) is unlikely.

No that just annoys your professor, they don't want to deal with 0.5 mark differences and such. Profs will remark and take marks off else where because you are annoying them.

No that just annoys your professor, they don't want to deal with 0.5 mark differences and such. Profs will remark and take marks off else where because you are annoying them.

I never had that experience so I guess it depends haha. That sucks though I either get no grade changed or a bump.

Just to be clear, I only approached professors for a bump when I really felt I deserved a higher grade. I would not randomly walk in their office and ask for them to raise my mark for no reason. We would review tests/exams together and I would make valid points. When they felt my arguments had some merit, they'd award me the extra 1-2%. Ironically though the one professor that did not agree to bump my mark (Hempstead); I had an 89.3% and I was graded pretty harshly by some TA on the final for CHEM 1001. Oh well

Question.

If someone's grade is 0.5 away from a letter grade, will you automatically be rounded to the upper letter grade?

Ex: If I get 89.5 in a course, do I get rounded automatically to a 90?

And does that happen in all courses?

Also, has anyone ever got an 89 or 88 in a course, and asked the course instructor for you to be rounded up? Have they done it?

They don't have to at all and most won't. It's not fair if they only raise your mark. As far as I know from the classes that I took, 89.5 got rounded, 89s sometimes get rounded and 88s occasionally get rounded (in 4th year courses). It's all based on how many students already obtained A+s

Agreed with doctorfresh on this one - most 88s don't get bumped up. I've had a couple 79s/89s bumped up by the prof (not just to me, to everyone in the class) but these were, in my experience, only in upper year courses. If you land on a 0.5, most profs will for sure bump you up.

Guest mmhs12345

On the ottawa website it says

Do you accept summer courses?

Summer courses are accepted for the credit value but the grades obtained will not count in the calculation of the WGPA. Prerequisites courses can be taken during summer sessions but not during the summer session immediately preceding admission in medicine.

So does that mean if I want to apply in the beginning of my 3rd year, I can't take orgo in the summer? Can someone explain?

Also, does KINE nutrition count as biochem prereq for ottawa? I read that it does.

On the ottawa website it says

Do you accept summer courses?

Summer courses are accepted for the credit value but the grades obtained will not count in the calculation of the WGPA. Prerequisites courses can be taken during summer sessions but not during the summer session immediately preceding admission in medicine.

So does that mean if I want to apply in the beginning of my 3rd year, I can't take orgo in the summer? Can someone explain?

Also, does KINE nutrition count as biochem prereq for ottawa? I read that it does.

Yes you can take orgo this summer. Ottawa is saying that you can't satisfy a prerequisite the summer before STARTING med school (if you get accepted).

Not sure about the second question but I don't think so.

Not I but just the name sounds pretty darn interesting !

It is one of the most interesting courses I've ever taken. I find it fascinating, but it's also the most difficult course I've ever taken. I posted that the night after the brutal midterm to see if anyone on here shared my experience.

He released the marks today. Class average was 50%..but he bell curved and raised everyone's mark by 15%!

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you done one of those summer research courses?

I was trying to pick up the 1000 level research practicum for the summer, but it said spots reserved. Its offered by the Biology department, and I'm a Chemistry major (most likely going to switch to biochemistry by Fall).

I've emailed the course director, hope it works.

Have any of you done one of those summer research courses?

I was trying to pick up the 1000 level research practicum for the summer, but it said spots reserved. Its offered by the Biology department, and I'm a Chemistry major (most likely going to switch to biochemistry by Fall).

I've emailed the course director, hope it works.

I did the research practicum course last summer. You have to email a prof and ask if you can work in their lab as a practicum student over the summer. Most will either ignore you or say no. It took me about 20 emails until a prof finally agreed to take me. Make sure you attach a resume and transcript in your email and express interest in their research. Don't make one generic email for all the profs. Once a prof agrees, then you speak with the practicum course director (Dr. Pat) and she'll sort everything out.

Here's a list of the biology department faculty members. Email the profs whose research interests you! http://biology.gradstudies.yorku.ca/faculty/

Good luck!

I did the research practicum course last summer. You have to email a prof and ask if you can work in their lab as a practicum student over the summer. Most will either ignore you or say no. It took me about 20 emails until a prof finally agreed to take me. Make sure you attach a resume and transcript in your email and express interest in their research. Don't make one generic email for all the profs. Once a prof agrees, then you speak with the practicum course director (Dr. Pat) and she'll sort everything out.

Here's a list of the biology department faculty members. Email the profs whose research interests you! http://biology.gradstudies.yorku.ca/faculty/

Good luck!

Thanks!

I'll probably have some difficulty because I'm a first year at York. I have a BsC in Statistics and Math. Hoping that will help.

Good luck!

Are you allowed to do it with people that do biologically related research but are not in the biology department? *psych department neuroscientists/faculty of health people*

Are you allowed to do it with people that do biologically related research but are not in the biology department? *psych department neuroscientists/faculty of health people*

I did mine with Dr. DeSouza, a psych prof who is affiliated with both the bio and psych departments because of his neuroscience research. So I think those are allowed yes.

Hopefully Yorkies see this...

Does anyone know of other study rooms at York that have whiteboards that are actually decent?

William Small Centre is the one I usually use because their whiteboards are double the size of those in Scott but they are not open on weekends. I need a facility with good whiteboards that are open on weekends.

Hell i'll take a classroom too if they have a whiteboard bit mostly chalk boards still and I can't handle writing on them

Anything?

Thx!