Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Does anyone know how regrading policies work for classes with final assignments, not final exams?

I received a B+ in a course today with a final paper. With my grades going in, I needed only a 67 on the final paper to get 80%, and given the TA and Prof feedback, I'm confident I got at least a 67.

The prof didn't return grades for the final paper. As we all know the difference between a B+ and an A is the difference between a 3.3 and a 3.8.

You have every right to know what you got on the paper. Why not email the TA and ask what mark you got? If you received lower than a 67, then go in to receive some feedback and ask where you went wrong.

You have every right to know what you got on the paper. Why not email the TA and ask what mark you got? If you received lower than a 67, then go in to receive some feedback and ask where you went wrong.

Thanks

I've emailed the prof, I hope there is some leeway and I can get the bump to an A.

This is my second undergrad (didn't know I wanted to do anything health care related before), first was in Applied Math from UofT. Very irritating that my only non A is from a philosophy class. Drop my GPA significantly.

Edit: Prof emailed me back saying he'd bump me up to an A.

I was in that course but dropped it. I felt uneasy taking a third year philosophy course. Thought I'd be putting my GPA on the line. I even e-mailed him asking if people get As in his class and he said "rarely". I might take the course in fourth year when my GPA can take a hit.

I was honestly thinking the same thing by taking a 3rd year philosophy course. Well, this year's the year my GPA can take the hit, I'm off to dental school next year fellow york student!!:D haha. I was hoping this bioethics course could give me insight on something related to the health profession that is not directly science related.

Thanks

I've emailed the prof, I hope there is some leeway and I can get the bump to an A.

This is my second undergrad (didn't know I wanted to do anything health care related before), first was in Applied Math from UofT. Very irritating that my only non A is from a philosophy class. Drop my GPA significantly.

Edit: Prof emailed me back saying he'd bump me up to an A.

That's great. Luckily things worked out well, especially since it's your 2nd undergrad. What are you majoring in? if you don't mind me asking.

I was honestly thinking the same thing by taking a 3rd year philosophy course. Well, this year's the year my GPA can take the hit, I'm off to dental school next year fellow york student!!:D haha. I was hoping this bioethics course could give me insight on something related to the health profession that is not directly science related.

congrats on getting into dental school! Where are you off to?

That's great. Luckily things worked out well, especially since it's your 2nd undergrad. What are you majoring in? if you don't mind me asking.

Biochemistry.

I needed to do something as far away from mathematics as possible, and preferably something that required me to work hard. I have less motivation to study for mathematics because I understand much quicker than I understand chemistry or biology, and there's significantly more that must be learned in biochemistry. A lot of Math can be deduced, but theres no way I can deduce what the function of a centriole is.

Hey guys, I have a question about reference letters. How do you guys usually go about getting a reference letter from a prof if all your classes are large? I'm in my third year but all my classes are still big (~200+). I typically participate in class but I still don't feel close to the prof at all. Additionally, at least for psyc, the profs almost never want u to come to their office hour unless as a last resort (they always defer you to the TA for literally everything). I've tried to get into 4th year psyc courses b/c they are smaller, but you cannot do so unless your in 4th year.

Also, does anyone know of any 2nd or 3rd year small psyc classes? That might help me with getting to know my profs and I pretty much like all the psyc courses so it could work!:)

Thank you!

Why don't you try to volunteer in one of the labs?

Thank you for the reply :) i was thinking about that last year, but unfortunately most of the volunteer positions i was looking at required about 8-12 hours a week, which is a bit much for me on top of what i do now for my ECs. Plus I dont really know I should do research just to get to know the prof/for a ref letter, especially since im not so keen on research lol

People (former students) have told me Chem 1001 with Pietro is significantly harder than with any of the other professors.

Factual?

I can't fit any of the other sections into my schedule. I got an A in Chem 1000 last semester; it was my first chemistry class since 2007. I'm hoping 1001 isn't much harder.

Hey guys,

Did anyone take KINE 3710 with Tanya De Sylva? I am debating whether I should take it or not. She teaches immunobiology (BIOL 3120) as well, so feedback from guys who took biol 3120 would also be appreciated.

I am leaning towards taking an easier course, but I find immunology interesting. However due to its difficulty and time commitment, I am not sure if I want to take it.

Hey guys,

Did anyone take KINE 3710 with Tanya De Sylva? I am debating whether I should take it or not. She teaches immunobiology (BIOL 3120) as well, so feedback from guys who took biol 3120 would also be appreciated.

I am leaning towards taking an easier course, but I find immunology interesting. However due to its difficulty and time commitment, I am not sure if I want to take it.

I think she said KINE is using the same textbook as the BIOL. Assuming she treats both classes equally.... stay far, far away. To put it into perspective: immunology= kine 2011 X I'm gonna say 10. You have no idea.

People (former students) have told me Chem 1001 with Pietro is significantly harder than with any of the other professors.

Factual?

I can't fit any of the other sections into my schedule. I got an A in Chem 1000 last semester; it was my first chemistry class since 2007. I'm hoping 1001 isn't much harder.

The consensus from people I've talked to (including my own observation) is that chem 1001 is much easier than 1000, regardless of who your prof is. Pietro is a great teacher, his tests are slightly harder but the momentum *yeah I'll go with momentum* you need to have to get an A with any prof would earn you the same grade with pietro as well. You might be better prepared for hte final if Pietro isn't writing it.

The consensus from people I've talked to (including my own observation) is that chem 1001 is much easier than 1000, regardless of who your prof is. Pietro is a great teacher, his tests are slightly harder but the momentum *yeah I'll go with momentum* you need to have to get an A with any prof would earn you the same grade with pietro as well. You might be better prepared for hte final if Pietro isn't writing it.

Thanks.

Hempstead is writing the final. I'll just work harder than I did last semester. I had a rough time because I spent a while trying to teach myself grade 11 and 12 chemistry. It's always been my worst science, I've never understood why. My sister is a pharmacist and she always tells me that since I have a mathematics degree, I SHOULD be able to do well in chemistry.

Thanks.

Hempstead is writing the final. I'll just work harder than I did last semester. I had a rough time because I spent a while trying to teach myself grade 11 and 12 chemistry. It's always been my worst science, I've never understood why. My sister is a pharmacist and she always tells me that since I have a mathematics degree, I SHOULD be able to do well in chemistry.

Ah good old Hempstead. His tests are always straight forward. Pietro might throw you a curveball here and there but Hempstead always delivers (as in if you can do the textbook problems you can do his tests without a problem).

That's really weird, I always thought I only got through chem because I'm okay at math.

I think chem 1001 is less conceptually inclined and more reliant on algebra so maybe you'll be more comfortable with it.

Anywho good luck

Guest mmhs12345

Go in to johnsons class or the other one, thats not hempstead or pietro. I got an A plus in chem 1000 last sem, but I had mirza and hes not teaching 1001. And 1001 looks much harder than chem 1000, cuase ur doing chemical kinetics, equilibrium, acid base etc. Much more math.

But go into johnnson or the other dude. Just avoid pietro or hempstead if possible.

Go in to johnsons class or the other one, thats not hempstead or pietro. I got an A plus in chem 1000 last sem, but I had mirza and hes not teaching 1001. And 1001 looks much harder than chem 1000, cuase ur doing chemical kinetics, equilibrium, acid base etc. Much more math.

But go into johnnson or the other dude. Just avoid pietro or hempstead if possible.

The math stuff isn't a big deal; I got a C+ average in my degree in math from UofT and went to maybe 20 lectures over the 4 years :(

Johnson's class is full. The other one says that only section 99 is available. I'm assuming that section is for people who passed the labs, but failed the course previously.

Hey guys,

the Material itself isn't super difficult, but it requires a big time committment (at least it did for me for BIOL 3120).