Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.yorku.ca/hr/documents/Salary_Disclosure_Report_2011.pdf

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/2012/univer12l.html

Not a single prof at york has an MD, whereas normal universities have more than 50+ teaching at the undergrad level

How sad. And people are here trying to defend this trash school.... hahaha. Inflation, crappy profs, students trying to defend their ego, hahahah. And you rarely hear about these 4.0 idiots at york getting into med school. There's something called an MCAT -- it's not inflated. Tough luck.

I dont see how anybodys defending their ego, just telling it like it is. Most premed york students had high enough high school GPAs to get into other schools... so the whole "you're dumb" insults getting old and to be honest isnt very effective.

If you claim that this school is so "garbage" and the students will fail the MCAT then this is good news for you. I dont understand why your intentions are to try and put others down though. And to think these are our potential future doctors. Scary thought.

I dont see how anybodys defending their ego, just telling it like it is. Most premed york students had high enough high school GPAs to get into other schools... so the whole "you're dumb" insults getting old and to be honest isnt very effective.

If you claim that this school is so "garbage" and the students will fail the MCAT then this is good news for you. I dont understand why your intentions are to try and put others down though. And to think these are our potential future doctors. Scary thought.

If that person named 'jackedbrah' becomes a doctor in Canada, I will sincerely hope he has changed his ways by then. We can't afford to have crappy doctors with crappy mindsets or even skilled doctors with crappy mindsets.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd got $100 that says MeGusta does better in the PS and BS (VR is such a crap shoot for many) portion of the MCAT than jackedbra.

You in jackedbra?

I woudln't count on me doing better than everyone, let's just say I basically started studying "full time" now and I have around 7 weeks LOL. #YOLO

hola

I'm kind of treading blindly here but can I get any feedback on these courses for next year? I'm in regular bio.

1st sem:

BIOL2040 Genetics- T. Kelly

BIOL2020 Biochemistry- Kubiseki

CHEM2020 Organic Chem I- Orellana

PSYC1010 Intro to Psychology- ???

Deciding between Animals, random credit(ECON1000/1010?), 2nd year chem or no credit.

2nd:

PSYC1010 Intro to Psych- ???

BIOL2010 Plant Biology- Lew

CHEM2021 Organic Chem II- ???

BIOL2021 Cell Biology- Lakin-Thomas

MATH1014 Applied Calculus II- Bugajska

I've looked the profs up on rmp but I'm not sure whether I trust the public's definition of 'hard'. Also, should I really be taking Animal biology considering the whole wanting to go to med school thing?

Feedback is very much appreciated as I did not go to an advising appt.

Thanks!!

hola

I'm kind of treading blindly here but can I get any feedback on these courses for next year? I'm in regular bio.

1st sem:

BIOL2040 Genetics- T. Kelly

BIOL2020 Biochemistry- Kubiseki

CHEM2020 Organic Chem I- Orellana

PSYC1010 Intro to Psychology- ???

Deciding between Animals, random credit(ECON1000/1010?), 2nd year chem or no credit.

2nd:

PSYC1010 Intro to Psych- ???

BIOL2010 Plant Biology- Lew

CHEM2021 Organic Chem II- ???

BIOL2021 Cell Biology- Lakin-Thomas

MATH1014 Applied Calculus II- Bugajska

I've looked the profs up on rmp but I'm not sure whether I trust the public's definition of 'hard'. Also, should I really be taking Animal biology considering the whole wanting to go to med school thing?

Feedback is very much appreciated as I did not go to an advising appt.

Thanks!!

Good that you didn't go to the advising session. They suck.

Genetics- easy course, pretty boring though. Kelly's the best, you'll *probably* like her

biochem- also easy, lotsa memorization though. The prof's good I hear, although you did miss out on the patron saind of YorkU (Keith Wheaton) that taught it last year, your loss.

I don't know who that prof is for orgo I but keep up with the course, don't leave a month's worth of work for the week before the test llike I did... bad bad idea.

Animals vs. all else: animals is the prerequisite for some upper year courses, if you want to take those you'll need it so double check that. In case you do decide to take it, the old prof's back this year and I've heard nothing but good things about him. The course is pretty interesting too and you'll get to dissect stuff. Uh that whole premed vs animals courses thing.... You do realize you're in biology at york right? (also you're taking plants for gods sake haha). You won't be seeing any human courses so grab what you can get

Only other course I've taken- cell bio with pat: that's actually the hardest course, she doesn't mess around. Literally write down everything she says and don't bother with the textbook unless your notes are incomplete at some point. Her tests are straight from the lectures. She does put pictures from the textbook on the tests and ask questions about them though so you'll need the text for that.

Oh yeah and intro to psych- definitely take it. It lets you take a load of really cool 2nd and 3rd year psych courses.

merci!

Is there much math required in any of those courses? I tend to do better in math heavy courses.

If I included Animals in 1st, would that be a heavy course load? I want to do genetics in first because I had Kelly for BIOL1001 and liked her very much. The other prof, who teaches it 2nd, has very bad reviews and his name starts with a Z.

Ah. Also, should I switch into Biomed so I get priority enrolment in the interesting upper year courses? Do they fill up? I already get early enrolment because reasons but is it worth it? merci merci merci!!!

dude, you can't do a straight bet, you need like 3 or 4 to one payout

if brah wins and you take him you should get 400. it's like being able to take chicago over minnesota straight et in the first round, LOL>

I'd got $100 that says MeGusta does better in the PS and BS (VR is such a crap shoot for many) portion of the MCAT than jackedbra.

You in jackedbra?

merci!

Is there much math required in any of those courses? I tend to do better in math heavy courses.

If I included Animals in 1st, would that be a heavy course load? I want to do genetics in first because I had Kelly for BIOL1001 and liked her very much. The other prof, who teaches it 2nd, has very bad reviews and his name starts with a Z.

Ah. Also, should I switch into Biomed so I get priority enrolment in the interesting upper year courses? Do they fill up? I already get early enrolment because reasons but is it worth it? merci merci merci!!!

Nope there's not much math required for those courses other than Math 1014 obviously. There's a bit of stats involved with Genetics but that's about it.

I think you should be fine with Animals in first semester, since you have Psyc1010 to balance the workload. Good decision on taking Genetics with Kelly

merci!

Genetics is mostly stats, but it's pretty simple. The second semester prof is zayed, he's the worst prof I've had in a long time.

LOL don't switch to biomed just to get dibs that's insane. Have you seen the degree requirements for that program.... just don't.

Does anynone know if the level of difficulty for both biochem 1 and 2 vary greatly?

id like to take only one in the summer if its harder, and the other during the year.

I assume by biochem 1 and 2 you mean biol 2020 and 2021?

so 2020 is pretty easy, one of the easiest biol courses in second year methinks. 2021 is pretty hard though, and there's a lot more stuff you'll have to know. But yeah the difference in difficulty level between the two classes is huge.

Hey everyone,

Has anyone taken the following courses?

BIOL 3071 "Pharmaceutical Discovery"

BIOL 3155 "Virology"

I looked up previous posts regarding these courses and I'm still undecided as to which of these two I want to take for third year. Can anyone provide any reviews about their experience in these courses? (or at least anything you've heard from friends in these courses)

thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

Has anyone taken the following courses?

BIOL 3071 "Pharmaceutical Discovery"

BIOL 3155 "Virology"

I looked up previous posts regarding these courses and I'm still undecided as to which of these two I want to take for third year. Can anyone provide any reviews about their experience in these courses? (or at least anything you've heard from friends in these courses)

thanks in advance!

I've heard virology is pretty hard, but not much else. In pharma discovery you have to write a 10 page paper that's worth 30% of yoru mark, if that makes a difference for you. Virology is just tests.

I've heard virology is pretty hard, but not much else. In pharma discovery you have to write a 10 page paper that's worth 30% of yoru mark, if that makes a difference for you. Virology is just tests.

Thanks MeGusta, I guess I'll enrol in virology, I'm not too excited about writing a 10 page paper for any subject.

Hey guys,

Hope you can help me with a couple of questions.

1. I was wondering if anyone here knows which english and physics courses to take at york to satisfy med school requirements.

2. For anyone here who has taken chem 1000, would it be feasible for someone who hasn't taken gr.12 chem to take chem 1000 directly, or is it necessary to take chem 1500 (gr.12 equivalent course) first? I do have the textbook and could go through ch 1-5 which are expected to be known in chem 1000.

3. Does anyone have any recommendations for easy kine electives or huma gen ed courses?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Hope you can help me with a couple of questions.

1. I was wondering if anyone here knows which english and physics courses to take at york to satisfy med school requirements.

2. For anyone here who has taken chem 1000, would it be feasible for someone who hasn't taken gr.12 chem to take chem 1000 directly, or is it necessary to take chem 1500 (gr.12 equivalent course) first? I do have the textbook and could go through ch 1-5 which are expected to be known in chem 1000.

3. Does anyone have any recommendations for easy kine electives or huma gen ed courses?

Thanks.

1. I'm not sure about English but PHYS 1420 with Jerzak is perfect for the physics prerequisite. And Jerzak is truly an amazing professor.

2. Apparently you cant even enrol if you dont have grade 12 chem. i would do the grade 12 equivalet first. But you can try to do those chapters and test yourself - i think it will be pretty difficult though especially bc first year chem at York is a course a lot of people struggle with

Genetics is mostly stats, but it's pretty simple. The second semester prof is zayed, he's the worst prof I've had in a long time.

LOL don't switch to biomed just to get dibs that's insane. Have you seen the degree requirements for that program.... just don't.

I assume by biochem 1 and 2 you mean biol 2020 and 2021?

so 2020 is pretty easy, one of the easiest biol courses in second year methinks. 2021 is pretty hard though, and there's a lot more stuff you'll have to know. But yeah the difference in difficulty level between the two classes is huge.

oh wow i didnt even know they offered the same course as a bio or biochem credit. for med, youd need the biochem credit correct?

thanks for the feedback!

oh wow i didnt even know they offered the same course as a bio or biochem credit. for med, youd need the biochem credit correct?

thanks for the feedback!

so few schools need biochem - in Ontario only Ottawa needs it and technically they don't b/c you only need to take 2 of 1) full year gen chem 2) full year orgo 3) full year biochem

also, CCM posted this before, but you can take KINE nutrition course (i think thats the one but you might have to search it b/c I'm not sure) instead of biochem

since they may have made changes though i would email them the course syllabus and ask them if you can use that for your biochem credit (thats what CCM did) and plus doing it through your email will give you proof from your email that they gave you permission to do the KINE course to fulfill the biochem prereq (just incase)

is anyone here in psyc? i was sooo upset to find out that you can take max. 54 psyc credits in your psyc major :( :( I was so excited to take all psyc courses this year, but not anymore ... now my schedule is all over the place b/c i had to substitute all the psyc courses i was going to take with random courses

does anyone know if it is possible to get into 4th year psyc courses if your in 3rd year? i really real want to take some 4th year courses but they all say they're reserved :(