Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Well remember, not taking molc = not taking a lot of fourth year stuff (they are prereqs for a lot of stuff, so remember to take that into account).

I hear mixed things about the thesis, everyone seems to have very different experiences with it. You would assume that the prof would just give you an A if not A+ once you are done (assuming you didn't break any expensive equipment or something like that during your stay, lol), but I also here that the marking is tougher than it seems (you do need to present/defend your thesis to a comity and I believe they are involving in the marking process). I heard about someone who won an award for having one of the top 6 thesis' at York and only ended up with an A (you would think someone in the top 6 would easily end with an A+)! That made me wonder, assuming that there would be around 100 thesis students (fair estimate I suppose considering the size of our current second year classes) and assuming this guy is at the bottom of the 6 positions, that means AT MOST only 5 people out of 100 got an A+...

Let's also not forget the alternate to the 8 credit thesis, which is the 3 credit written thesis; it seems like it is a lot less work, but considering that it is just an essay, it does not seem as much fun as working in a lab, lol.

Counting up your credits (including current topics), you have 26 credits. If you take "Advanced Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics Laboratory" you round that to 30 credits. If you are not into labs lol, and you still need some gen-eds I would say go for FILM 1701, its online and requires minimal work (hard to get an A+, but an A is all but guaranteed). But FILM is only 3 credits, so you would need one more class. Maybe others on here can make a few suggestions.

Yeah I think I will take the molecular bios. I find courses people often complain about are not as bad as they are made out to be. I agree with the 8 credit honours thesis though. You wouldn't get close to the same amount of experience doing the 3 credits.

Haha I'm not too fond of lab courses after taking 2070. I don't know anyone who's managed to pull off an A+ in that. Thanks for the feedback on the honours thesis + gen-ed though!

Any comments about the fairness of these courses:

1. Kine 4518- molecular basis of diseases with Connor.

2. Kine 4900- exercise therapy for chronic diseases with ceddia

Great course. Great prof. NOT a bird course. Compared to other KINE courses I've taken, this was by far the most interesting one. Memorization won't get you that A/A+ in this course. You need to be able to apply what you know/memorized.

BTW, they should just call this course "cancer biology" because its pure cancer research.

Do you think that it's feasible to take econ1000, econ1001 and chem1001 in the summer at the same time?

Merci beaucoup. :D

I think it's totally doable. You can definitely get A/A+ in ECON1000 and ECON1010 with moderate effort. What's great is that the midterms are multiple choice!

Getting an A/A+ in CHEM1001 will require more work. But if you can juggle doing the readings for econ and preparing for the chem midterms (which I found pretty tricky at times), it's definitely feasible.

regards

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get some input on a course selection for next year. I barely passed grade 12 physics but I want to take PHYS1420 (Physics with applications in Life Science). Do you think it's a good idea to take the course?

Do they reteach the physics basics in the course?

thanks

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get some input on a course selection for next year. I barely passed grade 12 physics but I want to take PHYS1420 (Physics with applications in Life Science). Do you think it's a good idea to take the course?

Do they reteach the physics basics in the course?

thanks

I personally haven't taken the course, but a few of my friends have. They all said that it was pretty basic, and everything is taught from the beginning. Additionally they mentioned that Proff Jerzak is one of the best professors you'll encounter at York and that he provides past tests.

I personally haven't taken the course, but a few of my friends have. They all said that it was pretty basic, and everything is taught from the beginning. Additionally they mentioned that Proff Jerzak is one of the best professors you'll encounter at York and that he provides past tests.

I'm taking it to satisfy physics prerequisite for US schools, but I was never to good at physics...oh well, never too late to learn.

Also...I've searched this forum for advice regarding BIOL3010-Advanced Biochemistry and BIOL3155-Virology.

Does anyone have an idea of the difficulty of these courses as well?

Bump

Has anyone taken PHYS1420 without the grade 12 physics prerequisite? A friend of mine wants to take the course but doesn't have high school physics.

I haven't taken it but I've heard that it's just a little bit more than grade 12 review so he'll probably be fine

Bump... Microbiology labs anyone?

I haven't taken it but I've heard that it's just a little bit more than grade 12 review so he'll probably be fine

Bump... Microbiology labs anyone?

Do you know anyone who has taken it without the grade 12 prereq? he's just worried about getting de-enrolled, not the difficulty lol

• 2 weeks later...
100% agree on Raji she might not be the best lecturer but her exams are so fair.

This year all orgo sections actually had identical tests so that's not a factor any more. She's a great human being and knows her stuff though, *Potvin's pretty cool too but Raji's enthusiasm for one of the driest subject goes unmatched*

Really that sucks, I remember taking it with her and most of the questions on the midterms were identical to the textbook questions lol and I agree shes very enthusiastic.

Was it summer course? Usually when theres more than one orgo prof I assume they all split and/or agree on tests but if she's the only one teaching this summer, and by the looks of it we're the only section, fingers crossed the same thing happens. lol I suck at chemistry.