Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Bruhh, which Personality class were you in last semester? We were probably in the same class! Social Psychology is supposed to be easy with Kawakami, but I haven't heard much about the other professors. I heard Evolutionary is really tough, though. Have you taken any classes with Valoo?

Haha it's possible. I had personality Wednesday nights with krista Phillips, how about you?

I really wanted to take Psychology of Women with Valoo but it conflicts with my other lectures :( I have heard her tests are extemely straightforward. I'm taking Psych of Women with Noreen Stuckless instead. I had the first lecture today and the course seems very boring, it has nothing to do with the Psychology of women, or how women differ from men. It's just a course on feminism and how equal woman are to men. (Not that im against any of that but it's not what I thought the course would be about)

Haha! I was in the Wednesday night class also. I wanted Psych of Women with Valoo also, but couldn't get in, so I have Abnormal Psychology with her instead. I was warned not to take it with Stuckless, who supposedly puts INSANELY long answer questions on the tests and final. Supposedly, the final took 3 hours and 15 minutes to write last semester. What's your major? What other classes are you taking?

Haha! I was in the Wednesday night class also. I wanted Psych of Women with Valoo also, but couldn't get in, so I have Abnormal Psychology with her instead. I was warned not to take it with Stuckless, who supposedly puts INSANELY long answer questions on the tests and final. Supposedly, the final took 3 hours and 15 minutes to write last semester. What's your major? What other classes are you taking?

Now I really want to drop psych of women with Stuckless. I'll PM you my schedule and major now.

I took Personality with Phillips last semester. It was quite easy. Final is only 3 chapters, I literally only studied the night before the final and did well. Tests are mostly from text (about 80% from text 20% lecture).

Also, you can take Evolutionary Psychology (3rd year course though) with Irwin Silverman. He's very monotone and hard to hear (it is literally impossible to hear him if you sit in the back). But he bell curves A LOT. Everyone got a 3% increase on their final Grades. So if you have an 87, practically it's an A+. Tests are easy but very detailed, research findings show up a lot and there is many pages to read. Mostly text based.

Biological Basis is an easy course, regardless of the prof you take. It's like bio dumbed down for psyc kids. pretty detailed but A+ is very achievable.

Social Psychology is also easy but lecture materials do show up quite often (at least with Ward Struthers who I had). The midterms are a piece of cake. Final is killer, lots of lecture stuff and detailed based questions from text. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like lectures lol.

there are many other psyc courses I've taken. These are some of the easiest ones. Psyc 1010 Is obviously the hallmark of the easiest so I didn't get into details.

Edit: I am taking motivation with Pauline Charlton this semester. She's a terrible prof. I won't go into details but a friend of mine learned nothing in her bio basis class, BUT she ended up with a 97 in it. So I guess I'll find out by the end of winter how it all goes down with her for motivation.

I took motivation in the Fall with Charlon, who was really odd and seem to know very little about the content. It's mainly textbook with her annoying filler videos and she tries to make up her own questions for ~ 100 MC with a few bonuses bc the average was constantly low.  

I'm seriously considering writing to the uni president about how stupid not having A-s is. An 89 is worth the same as an 80. Very unfair to high achieving students, IMO.

Yeah it's a little annoying because having an 85 is actually a good mark for most other unis but it's only a 3.8 here. On the other hand, other uni's get a 3.7 for 80-84 so it kinda evens it out.

Yeah it's a little annoying because having an 85 is actually a good mark for most other unis but it's only a 3.8 here. On the other hand, other uni's get a 3.7 for 80-84 so it kinda evens it out.

Maybe this is me being condescending but I feel like the university should have a system that benefits the top students as opposed to the lower ranked ones. If York really wants to keep a 9 point system, maybe move the 9.999 point letter grade jump to the C or D range. 

I don't think so. I don't know anyone who has successfully petitioned a mark off, but as far as I know, it's as if you never took the course. I think you get a W if you drop AFTER the drop date. I know for sure that if you drop before the drop date, there is nothing on your transcript.

On the petition, you select 'drop a course after the drop date' though.

What the actual fuck ... I got 91 in a 4th year bio course and the prof said that 31% of the class had A/A+ and he had to take it to a committee and they made a "decision". Ended up with an A... I would imagine that in a class of 40 people that one extra person that had an A would be bumped down, not the only fucking person in the class with an A+

Who's face do I rip off? 

What the actual fuck ... I got 91 in a 4th year bio course and the prof said that 31% of the class had A/A+ and he had to take it to a committee and they made a "decision". Ended up with an A... I would imagine that in a class of 40 people that one extra person that had an A would be bumped down, not the only fucking person in the class with an A+

Who's face do I rip off? 

Damn, that's bs. I'd try the undergraduate program director.