Premed 101 Forums

Damn Depressed

Guest depressed

Guest Freud

I got an interview this year at U of T, and I thought i had no chance in hell of getting one, since i got a 7-10-10-S on my MCAT and i'm a 3rd year undergrad applicant. It was pretty surprising that i got an interview invitation since i thought i would be disqualified due to that score, and my OMSAS GPA is 3.82. I don't know if it worked cause i don't know how well the interview went, but i'm on the waiting list. I plan on re-writing the MCAT this summer unless i hear some excellent news....

Guest stargirl

freud,

my mcat scores were 10, 11, 10, M....didn't get an interview at u. of t. last year and thought that was why so i emailed and asked...they said that there was no concern over the mcat score as my gpa was very competitive...beefed up my essay and got an interview this year...waitlisted but hopeful...anyway, i'm glad they looked at my gpa instead of just tossing my application because of one lousy mcat score. don't know if i should rewrite...i'm pretty much limited to mac, ottawa and u of t without a higher writing sample score...but when i think of writing that blasted thing again it makes my head hurt...

Guest depressed

Hi there,

Over the past few days I've been constantly thinking about these MCAT scores and what they really mean to me. I guess my general feelings are that I've been studying and working like a sweating pig for the past 2 years (I know I know, only two years right? =) to get a good GPA >3.90. Moreover, I swear this MCAT I wrote in April was much better than the one I wrote the previous year...For the April one, I actually understood (at least I thought I did) the questions and was able to "see" the correct answer (as opposed to the first time I wrote it, where I probably guessed on many questions due to the fact I didnt even understand the passages)...but alas, I wasnt able to raise my verbal significantly to allow me to apply to Queen's/Western.

This has been scaring/depressing me because I keep thinking that verbal is holding me back and that I will never improve....although I know its definitly possible to raise my verbal (thanks to you guys =), I think I lost my confidence completly...thats once of the reasons why I kinda don't want to write the MCAT in August....the sciences I am 100% cool with....but suppose I still get the same verbal score in August? Thats going to completely destroy me....

Sorry to sound like the whining hardcore pre-med...but as anyone felt the same? I know I'm only going into 3rd year, but its like there's this cloud of failure over my head...Im just thinking I should take it easy this summer and concentrate on my med school application and do some more extra cirrics....Any suggestions?

Btw, I just want to thank all of you for your words of encouragement...Its been real helpful to know that it is indeed possible to raise your verbal score by 3-4 points!

Cheers mates

Guest Sympathetic

Dear Depressed,

As I read your post I felt so sad since I know exactly how you feel. So many of the things you wrote about (feelings of depression, hopelessness and being held back by the verbal section) were things that I experienced last year. I also didn't want to rewrite the MCAT because I felt that I would fail once more and I just couldn't face that horrible feeling all over again. I thought that if it wasn't for my 6 in verbal that I would get interviews at several school and ultimately be granted admission. (My GPA was high and my extracurriculars were good.) My plan had always been to do three years of undergrad and then to go to medical school. I was devasted beyond belief when I was wasn't addmitted to med school last year. The thought rewriting the MCAT, doing another year of undergrad and reapplying freaked me out. But, as I wrote earlier, I pulled myself together and decided to do everything possible to improve my verbal score. I read all summer (an approach I had not taken the year earlier) and acheived my goal.

Of course, acheiving this goal did not come easy. I spent a lot of time last summer feeling miserable from fear that I would not improve on test day. I remember after I scored a practice test and got another 6 I became so frustrated and felt so hopeless that I almost decided not to rewrite.

All I can say to you is: DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Obviously, if you do so well in school you have the ability to do well in the verbal. Just treat it like any other course and "study" by reading difficult material for several hours a day and then testing yourself using practice passages.

Since you are only in second year, it's not as though you've "lost" any time. You would not have been able to apply until the beginning of third year anyway, so if you rewrite and do well you will be in great shape!! (I on the other hand had to do what I considered an "extra" year of undergrad which actually turned out to be my best year ever!!) Sometimes, things happen for a reason. I think to myself that if I had done well on the verbal, and gotten into med school after 3yrs as I planned then I would not have appreciated my acceptance as much as I do now after struggling with the verbal. I don't mean that had I been accepted last year I wouldn't have been happy but my happiness was compounded by the fact that I had to overcome an obstacle to acheive my goal. The very same thing may happen for you if you rewrite, do well and then get into med school!!

Try rewriting this August after several months of reading and then reevaluate your situation. I'm sure that if you put the effort into this task you will acheive success!

Let me know what you decide.

Sympathetic

Guest freud

stargirl -

I feel your pain, since I'd also prefer not writing the MCAT again. However, since we're both on that stupid waiting list, we don't know what the options really are. I'm going ahead with it, since my GPA is not entirely competative at a 3.80 after this year, and they still say that scores under the minimums will jeopardize the success of the applicant - whatever that means. If that magic phone call never comes, hopefully adding two more schools to my list will pay off. Either way, rewriting the MCAT isn't the worst thing in the world now that we already know what to expect - and its not nearly as bad as i thought. Though, i'm spending 3+ hours/day reading reading reading reading.....

I feel like we share the exact same story. I re-wrote the MCAT and finally got into med school to. In many ways I agree that getting into med school after the pain of rejection makes it that much sweeter.

The MCAT is a frustrating test. I studied my butt off the first time and only got a 23 O. I took a prep course the next summer - studying my butt off even more and only got a 27 Q. I got in to Toronto this year and an OP university. I still cringe when I think about my MCAT scores. In fact, being a student with an extremely high GPA - I even feel a little embarassed by them. But, I worked really really hard studying for MCAT - so in a sense I am proud of them. I got in because I have an excellent GPA/Strong ECs/and a very strong interview. To compensate for a low MCAT you have too kick butt on your admission essays and ECs...

In the end, I think you should re-write it if you feel it will give you an edge. I got into my dream school because I did. Yes, if I didn't re-write I still would have gotten into mac - but I don't want to go to MAC. Not re-writing would have limited my options.

Archived