Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview discussion - 2012

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So only 1600 of 3000 have a gpa of 3.60 and/or mcat of 9 9 9 N? That surprises me (I guess if you applied without your mcat scores released yet).

Not necessarily- I guess it would be a mix of uncompetitive applicants with respect to MCAT/GPA, or not competitive due to 3rd year status (which would require crazy stats to even be considered), or some component the application is lacking in(?)... The 1600/3000 suggests they do a cursory read-through of a file before considering it for full file review, which would explain the large amount of files that weren't read completely. Or they may have some other system of choosing files they want to review fully. It's a freaking mythology.

Not necessarily- I guess it would be a mix of uncompetitive applicants with respect to MCAT/GPA, or not competitive due to 3rd year status (which would require crazy stats to even be considered), or some component the application is lacking in(?)... The 1600/3000 suggests they do a cursory read-through of a file before considering it for full file review, which would explain the large amount of files that weren't read completely. Or they may have some other system of choosing files they want to review fully. It's a freaking mythology.

I forgot about the third year applicants. My theory is that the adcom members kill a chicken and cut it open (if you make the cutoffs). The entrails lead them to review some files and discard others.

there are 10 interview days for ~3000 applicants. the first weekend represents, therefore, 1/5 of the total pool. So it makes sense that around 600 people rejected, which seems to imply that they just read the files as they get to them.

from the blog:

Hi Ali. We are still screening and reviewing and many files have not yet been touched

Q: Is there a particular order in which the files are screened?

A: With 3000 files you just take them as they come

There remains one questioned to be answered.

How can they reject 600 applicants when they haven't even looked at the rest of the files? How do they know that there aren't 2400 poor applications to come?

If they've gone through 600 files that don't meet the cutoffs then they'd auto-reject them. Or if there was some other obvious problem I'd guess.

There remains one questioned to be answered.

How can they reject 600 applicants when they haven't even looked at the rest of the files? How do they know that there aren't 2400 poor applications to come?

They've been doing it for years so they probably expect enough good applications in the remaining 2400 ish.

Also, Deborah said that the 600 Rs were a mix of not meeting cut offs as well as uncompetitive applications so I'm inclined to think (just being hypothetical here) that many of the 600 Rs are auto rejections that fail to meet cut offs. I think they scan applications before sending them to file review, hence the mass below cut off rejects?

Are you certain third years are treated differently, ie read first?

Hey holiday, I really don't think there is any order whatsoever in regards to file review. First time I've applied was in 3rd year and got rejected Feb 19. Second time I've applied was in 4th year and got rejected in the first batch. This year... still waiting.

Hey holiday, I really don't think there is any order whatsoever in regards to file review. First time I've applied was in 3rd year and got rejected Feb 19. Second time I've applied was in 4th year and got rejected in the first batch. This year... still waiting.

yah, that further convinces me that they just make their way through the pile.

but many of those exceed the cut-offs! (re: the other thread for the 2011/2012 application cycle).

Yup, the first batch has 2 kinds of applicants: those not meeting cutoffs, and those that they managed to look at already. Who knew that I was more competitive in third year? Weird..

I don't think it is wise to spend so much energy trying to figure out the technicalities of the admissions process.

All we can do is wait to hear if we have been invited for an interview or not. Until then, we will have to do something more productive.

+1

10 char

I don't think it is wise to spend so much energy trying to figure out the technicalities of the admissions process.

All we can do is wait to hear if we have been invited for an interview or not. Until then, we will have to do something more productive.

Personally, I don't really care, since I likely will not receive an interview with my stats. Also, it is the "interview discussion" thread. I'm just having fun.

Invite

GPA: Weighted - ~3.8

MCAT (PS/VR/BS/W) - 9/10/9/Q

Year of applicant and UG/Grad ? - Graduated with Masters (graduated a few months ago)

ECs: 2 papers published, 3 in submission, 2 in preparation, invented a scientific piece of equipment with a paper on it/website, multiple international science talks including 2 podium presentations, multiple volunteering overseas i.e. building orphanages/houses, varsity team placing first is OUAs, head of multiple clubs, 1 year of volunteering in hospital in radiology, multiple clinical placements in hospitals with spinal cord patients, etc. etc. [very strong ECs in my opinion]

Interview date: March

Is that an MD/PhD interview, or just MD? I'm wondering if they'll give out one if you apply to the other....thanks!

:eek: you are like a ...machine... a grad student God...

How is it possible to have 7 papers? (Msc right?)

My situation is I did 2 years of master, wrote a thesis in Intro +paper + Discussion format and I'm not sure when it will get published. Supervisor was optimistic about coming out in paper, but not in hurry... so I doubt it will get published this year or next....possibly 5 years later I think at the rate.

I so envy you right now.

Archived