Premed 101 Forums

am I being paranoid? :(

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Hello,

after reading Premed101 over the few days, I am being paranoid uppon this:

I did physician shadowing (observation) last summer (2011), and the doctor did not register me with the hospital. I did suggest her about that several times, but she said just follow and observe. It's a rare oppotunity for a non-medical student, thus i did not want to upset her by keep asking about the registration.

So, in my CV, I listed her info (everything!) from her cellphone, homephone, clinic phone, clinic address, hospital pager for verification. (I think i should not put her homephone in due to privacy, but I already submited the CV ... :( )

But what if the school contact the hospital instead of her ... then they probably will think that I made up the activity since the hospital do not have my info :eek:

Should I email the doctor and ask if she could contact the hospital, or wrote something to the school? :confused:

Guest JustAnotherStudent
If people contact the hospital, you should include her extension number so they can get a hold of her directly. Since she knows you and the stuff you did, it's smooth sailing from there onwards.

I did include her hospital pager, since she is in primary care, and does not have an office and extension.

Guest JustAnotherStudent
Sorry to jump in, but how do you get position in shadowing a doctor? How much do you get out of just watching a doctor? I'm assuming they don't let you do much, other than observe..

All I could do was observing.

I got the possition by approaching physicans (quite embrassing the first few times) and got so many refusals before I could actually get in. That's why i did not want to upset her by keep asking for the registration :(

Guest JustAnotherStudent
I think most employers would call the listed information first before investigating further if they suspect you of being dishonest. And if they see that it's legitimate information, they can always check the hospital to see if she works there.

No need to panic over this.

I guess i read too much PM101 :D

All I could do was observing.

I got the possition by approaching physicans (quite embrassing the first few times) and got so many refusals before I could actually get in. That's why i did not want to upset her by keep asking for the registration :(

Did you just phone/email them when you say you approached them?

Guest JustAnotherStudent
How was it to shadow a physician when you're not in med school yet? Must not have been that exciting.

Thanks to the doctor, she is really nice and explain what's going on; but ya, you are right, there was not much i could do except observing :)

Did you just phone/email them when you say you approached them?

I tried every possible ways, and got all kinds of responses, as you could imagine -_-

Guest JustAnotherStudent
Then you are...thank her, apologize and just let it go. Seriously.

So I am really overworrying? :confused: I found myself overworrying about lots of thing in life :(

Hello,

after reading Premed101 over the few days, I am being paranoid uppon this:

I did physician shadowing (observation) last summer (2011), and the doctor did not register me with the hospital. I did suggest her about that several times, but she said just follow and observe. It's a rare oppotunity for a non-medical student, thus i did not want to upset her by keep asking about the registration.

So, in my CV, I listed her info (everything!) from her cellphone, homephone, clinic phone, clinic address, hospital pager for verification. (I think i should not put her homephone in due to privacy, but I already submited the CV ... :( )

But what if the school contact the hospital instead of her ... then they probably will think that I made up the activity since the hospital do not have my info :eek:

Should I email the doctor and ask if she could contact the hospital, or wrote something to the school? :confused:

Shadowing a physician isn't really an "achievement" per se, so I don't think med school adcoms will scrutinize and go all hard on this.

I think more importantly, you should be able to discuss what you learnt from this experience and how it contributed to your decision to pursuing medicine.

Archived