Premed 101 Forums

Support group to motivate each other to study

thehockeykid

it's even better when you're chill about it, everyone ust asks you what the answer is and you tell them in a friendly manner, everyone knows who knows the material, there's no need to show off about it, plus most people don't care that much about school anyways

Is it wrong to like to show off. I like to be that show it off know it all. It gives me a great sense I am winning!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^when i mean i show off, i answer questions to show everyone how much i know. usually on webct or in tutorial

"most ppl dont care about school" where do you go and what program are you in?

MIDTERMS COMING! cramming mode

LOL. Both, muse and I have been through undergrad already. I would assume both of us didn't study as much as you do and we both managed. lol. :P

Oh yes and I went to York.

• 3 weeks later...

This semester has been exhausting to say the least. I have three of the busiest weeks of my life ahead of me, but little motivation or focus. I'm going to try to force myself to hit the books tonight in the hopes that I'll suddenly become determined.

How is midterm season going for everyone else? Best of luck with all your tests and assignments.

This semester has been exhausting to say the least. I have three of the busiest weeks of my life ahead of me, but little motivation or focus. I'm going to try to force myself to hit the books tonight in the hopes that I'll suddenly become determined.

How is midterm season going for everyone else? Best of luck with all your tests and assignments.

Deathly. Loads of reading to do, lectures to listen to, etc.

Plus youtube continues to be the bane of my productivity.

95 is Godly. Your initial thoughts were correct.

While a 95+% is very difficult, it's definitely achievable. You need to be committed and dedicate enough time to studying. It also helps if you know your learning style and can tailor your efforts to it. Having motivation is key, which is where this group comes in!

I still can't bring myself to study seriously, which is becoming a huge concern. I have 2 midterms in the next 9 days, and I'm nowhere close to prepared. What are everyone's favourite study techniques/tips?

its just not possible to get it in some courses

"Whether you believe you can or you can't...you are right."

-Henry Ford

Going in with that attitude is setting yourself up for failure. I've been in university for nearly 7 years and have taken enough courses to learn that your mark in a course is directly proportional to the amount of work you put into it. If you want a 95%, you can get a 95% if you put in the work.

During my first degree, I did the bare minimum to get by, and I got what I put into it. However I've approached this year with the attitude that I can get a 95% in each course, and with a strong desire to achieve that goal. So far it's paid off, even in essay-based courses.

-Henry Ford

Going in with that attitude is setting yourself up for failure. I've been in university for nearly 7 years and have taken enough courses to learn that your mark in a course is directly proportional to the amount of work you put into it. If you want a 95%, you can get a 95% if you put in the work.

During my first degree, I did the bare minimum to get by, and I got what I put into it. However I've approached this year with the attitude that I can get a 95% in each course, and with a strong desire to achieve that goal. So far it's paid off, even in essay-based courses.

lol righttt...

-Henry Ford

Have you tried philosophy or english courses? 95-is-not-possible-in-some-courses-at-some-institutions. It's very course, university and professor dependent. I know one prof who will never give a 90+ in his course.

Have you tried philosophy or english courses? 95-is-not-possible-in-some-courses-at-some-institutions. It's very course, university and professor dependent. I know one prof who will never give a 90+ in his course.

yeah exactly, I've taken a course that had 500 students... the class average ended up being a B but no one got an A+ and this was a first year geography course lol

-Henry Ford

I totally agree with this.

Advice is true and perfect

Its also true for the English courses that Ive taken.

It can only be a problem if your teacher and tutorial leader has developed some special grudge against you.

are you guys for real? in my courses there are questions that even if you had the notes and even google in front of you, you wouldn't be 100% sure or even 80% sure of the right answer. and then there are questions that come from materials never covered or briefly covered in class, or require such detailed memorizing that is essentially impossible given that you have four other courses to study for. and SA, full marks are hard to come by, even if you have the right answer and adequate explanation of the answer.. I'm not trying to make my courses seem hard- 90+ are definetely possible with hard work, but 95 in even one course is impressive. now having a 95 /average/ in /all/ your courses? (this is of course in the context of percent-grade schools like UWO and formerly Queen's...) a 95 average in high school is entirely possible and achieved by many, but in undergrad??

threads like this make me really think about and question a) the legitimacy of these claims of what academic standards are achievable given effort B) my perception of academic achievements in the same context ... can someone clear this up?

are you guys for real? in my courses there are questions that even if you had the notes and even google in front of you, you wouldn't be 100% sure or even 80% sure of the right answer. and then there are questions that come from materials never covered or briefly covered in class, or require such detailed memorizing that is essentially impossible given that you have four other courses to study for. and SA, full marks are hard to come by, even if you have the right answer and adequate explanation of the answer.. I'm not trying to make my courses seem hard- 90+ are definetely possible with hard work, but 95 in even one course is impressive. now having a 95 /average/ in /all/ your courses? (this is of course in the context of percent-grade schools like UWO and formerly Queen's...) a 95 average in high school is entirely possible and achieved by many, but in undergrad??

threads like this make me really think about and question a) the legitimacy of these claims of what academic standards are achievable given effort B) my perception of academic achievements in the same context ... can someone clear this up?

Well surely the courses you speak of are rare.. Most courses in bio are M/C. some have a hint of SA. the trick to essay courses is to write about what the marker wants to read about...

What kind of courses are you talking about?

and you only need a 90+ to get your 4.0 in the course.

For majority of the courses, its possible with simple hard work...

but I admit, there are occasional rare english or business case study courses where that 90 or even 80 can only come from luck.. but they are rare if you are in Bsc..

I think its wise to take mikeb88's advice because they got tons of experience...

Well surely the courses you speak of are rare.. Most courses in bio are M/C. some have a hint of SA. the trick to essay courses is to write about what the marker wants to read about...

What kind of courses are you talking about?

and you only need a 90+ to get your 4.0 in the course.

For majority of the courses, its possible with simple hard work...

but I admit, there are occasional rare english or business case study courses where that 90 or even 80 can only come from luck.. but they are rare if you are in Bsc..

I think its wise to take mikeb88's advice because they got tons of experience...

the courses I speak of are.. every one of my courses. I know literally perhaps one person who can score 95+ in some of his classes. M/C doesn't mean easy. the majority are easy (ie 80%), but the remaining 10-20 % get into guesswork to varying degrees.

you look around and it's agreed that 3.9+ is a competitive GPA. that corresponds to roughly 87-88 average. 95+ is a 4.00 or very close to it. so even in a selective sample like premed101, why are there not more 4.00s floating around?

the trouble with forums like this I think is the likelihood of being getting disillusioned... unless of course that 95%+ remark is figurative... and we're really referring to say, 3.95-4.00 range or something like that..

the courses I speak of are.. every one of my courses. I know literally perhaps one person who can score 95+ in some of his classes. M/C doesn't mean easy. the majority are easy (ie 80%), but the remaining 10-20 % get into guesswork to varying degrees.

you look around and it's agreed that 3.9+ is a competitive GPA. that corresponds to roughly 87-88 average. 95+ is a 4.00 or very close to it. so even in a selective sample like premed101, why are there not more 4.00s floating around?

the trouble with forums like this I think is the likelihood of being getting disillusioned... unless of course that 95%+ remark is figurative... and we're really referring to say, 3.95-4.00 range or something like that..

3.95 vs a 4.0 doesn't really have much of a difference.

I agree 95%+ in every single courses is impossible. but,

in many schools, 90+ = 4.0.

I actually do know afew people with very close to that mark. as in 3.98ish..

common trait is hard work.. so thats where my suggestion comes from..

3.95 vs a 4.0 doesn't really have much of a difference.

I agree 95%+ in every single courses is impossible. but,

in many schools, 90+ = 4.0.

I actually do know afew people with very close to that mark. as in 3.98ish..

common trait is hard work.. so thats where my suggestion comes from..

yes for sure, I have friends who are very hard working and get 3.96+ (can't count myself among their type :D).I definetely agree with the idea that hard work can get you to great places, including academically.

but even they aren't even CLOSE to a 95% average. a 3.98 can result from 89, 90, 90, 91, 93 ... which is not even near a 95. i was always under the impression that 95% average is very very difficult to get / super-human etc etc... as I said, perhaps I'm taking this 95% number too literally. and to other med hopefuls reading threads like this, this could be quite discouraging.. I was given a similar mindset about applying in 3rd year- a lot of posters suggested you'd have to be a super-star, 3.99+, pubs, blablabla.. when that simply isn't true. i really don't know where I'm going with this.. but just a thought.

Archived