Premed 101 Forums

SOPA and PIPA

tooty

if these bills are as badly written as they say, there's no way they'll get passed.

thoughts?

All the things you're hearing about the bill are from the internet users' perspective, for the government/businesses it's going to generate additional revenue, I think it'll get passed.

Are you under the impression we're in a democracy? Lol

+1

All the things you're hearing about the bill are from the internet users' perspective, for the government/businesses it's going to generate additional revenue, I think it'll get passed.

protecting IP is good. the problem with those bills is that they give the government too much power. they can set up something like the great firewall of china if they wanted to.

protecting IP is good. the problem with those bills is that they give the government too much power. they can set up something like the great firewall of china if they wanted to.

I don't think the great firewall of china is what most people fear (there are tons of ways to get around it btw). But rather, they're more fearful of the legal implications that many people would likely be involved in after downloading copyrighted material.

I don't think the great firewall of china is what most people fear (there are tons of ways to get around it btw). But rather, they're more fearful of the legal implications that many people would likely be involved in after downloading copyrighted material.

no. the bills target the websites that host copyrighted material, not the individual users.

+1

No it won't. It's already lost supporters in congress (6 people who had initial strong support changed their mind now), it won't get the votes it needs to go through at all. Watch and see.

Let's not forget youtube/wikipedia wouldn't exist anymore. maybe initially they will, but it'll only be a matter of time.

I think it'll pass and the corporate shill Obama will sign it despite his objection to it. He said he'd veto the NDAA (which authorizes indefinite detention of American citizens) but signed it. America has been going in the direction of the police state since 9/11 (but the seeds were planted a long time ago). I know Canada will eventually go down that path.

Obama will be in desperate need of political bonus points with the coming election, this is an excellent opportunity to get them by blasting down this bill should it ever pass through (which it wont).

I think it'll pass and the corporate shill Obama will sign it despite his objection to it. He said he'd veto the NDAA (which authorizes indefinite detention of American citizens) but signed it. America has been going in the direction of the police state since 9/11 (but the seeds were planted a long time ago). I know Canada will eventually go down that path.

I agree with the bolded text.

Basically, the problem with SOPA and PIPA is it's nuke first think later. Currently, under DCMA copyright holders must prove that a site is infringing their copyright before requesting its take-down. SOPA and PIPA eliminate this, and require any website accused of copyright infringement to take-down the alleged infringing material. It then can attempt to prove its innoncence. If it doesn't comply with the accusation, it can have all its financial ties cut and its DNS taken down (i.e. the site is blocked).

See

Edit: actually there are more problems, like holding an entire website liable for the action of all of its users. In this case, an entire website can be taken down if a single user posts something that facilitates (vague term) copyright infringement of US property according to US law. E.g. could premed101 be taken down completely in the US if one user posts an ad for a copied MCAT book? i.e. Is that user facilitating copyright infringement of US property? Probably. Even worse, since its a .com, its DNS is probably in the US anyway. This means it will be blocked anywhere in the world.

Such things give large corporations the power to destroy small websites, like this one.

Archived