Premed 101 Forums

*Graduate students applying to Med

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*faraz

Date:***2/13/2001 5:56 pm*PST

anyone out there a graduate applicant to canadian schools? have you received interviews from out east?

thanx

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/14/2001 6:33 am*PST

Hello,

Glad to see another graduate applicant out there.

I have applied to Memorial (east of Ontario, where I am presently located, but I have also applied to other schools that may be east relative to your position) and have heard nary a peep from them. I called their Admissions Office last week, and they are still well in the throes of the selection process, so find solace in the no news/good news tenet.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/14/2001 3:50 pm*PST

I"m in Alberta and I've only had an interview at UBC. Haven't heard anything from any other schools. I wonder if I should be worried. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Good luck to you too!

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/15/2001 7:06 am*PST

Hello again,

May I ask, faraz, out of interest what's your area of graduate study?

If you've applied to Queen's, UT, McMaster, and Manitoba, (all east of you) no news is probably still good news, in general. Queen's apparently has just sent out their interview requests, with their rejections to follow shortly--no Queen's correspondence (save for alumni magazines) has recently graced my mailbox. Manitoba, I haven't heard a word from yet, but their letters are supposed to be sent out during this entire month, so there's still time. As to UT, I'm increasingly leanding towards the notion that graduate applicants may be fully evaluated after the majority of undergrad. evalutations. Did you send any supplementary material into UT (as grad students are permitted)? If so, the deadline for submission was mid-January, and given that, it seems like a very short period of time to be able to fully consider all of the material for each grad. applicant, and subsequently send yay/nay letters out at the beginning of February.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/15/2001 11:21 am*PST

My area is bacteriology. Nothing terribly interesting to say the least.

Anyhow, i just got my ottawa rejection letter. could not be considered in the graduate pool because of my gpa. did you apply to ottawa?

faraz

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/15/2001 11:30 am*PST

Hello again faraz,

Thanks for sharing those snippets of info. Have you a Masters or PhD. in critters? I actually avoided applying to Ottawa after speaking to one of their admissions officers about their selection process re: graduate applicants last year.

Good luck with your other letters,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/15/2001 1:06 pm*PST

It is a Ph.D. How about you, what are your grad studies in?

It is really a test of patience right now to see if any schools will respond. i do figure that u of t will take awhile to look through the applications. but what about mac and queen's? just wait and see.

good luck to you,

faraz

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/15/2001 1:25 pm*PST

Hello again faraz,

On Mac and Queen's, if you have successfully met the Mac GPA cut-off then you will have been pushed through to the next stage of their selection process, which is basically selecting the best candidates for interview who have met their minimum criteria. Supposedly, their next batch of rejection letters were to be sent out this week or the next. As to Queen's, I have not yet heard of any rejections having been received.

My graduate studies ended last May with the completion of my MBA at Queen's.

Perhaps Ian can attest, but this does seem to be quite the odyssey of travails, equalled perhaps only by the anxiety leading to Match Day.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*HHH

Date:***2/18/2001 12:29 am*PST

I'm a grad student and applied to UBC, Calgary, Queen's, Mac, UT, and UO.

I have supplied UT with additional info in Jan. 14, but have not heard anything new from them. I don't know how they compare Grad and Undergrad applicants, but it seems like there is some method that works out for grads, because after talking to someone at admissions, it seems like they take a good percentage of grad students. As was mentioned elsewhere, I am not expecting anything any time soon.

I got a letter from UO, asking for suplemental material by Mar. 9, and that they would make their final decisions about interviews the following week and send out a letter.

Queen's: just waiting for the rejection to come(9 on VR).

Mac: haven't heard yet.

Calgary: haven't heard, but a friend heard about an interview last week, and apparently they will be sending invitations till the end of this month. I heard rejections are in the mail as of friday.

UBC: have an interview early March. Goodwin and Bhanji? Anyone heard of them/ had them for interview?

Good luck.

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/19/2001 5:48 am*PST

Hello HHH,

Well done, re: the UBC interview. Good luck on that when it rolls around.

May I ask, from what province are you applying to all of these schools? Also, what sort of graduate degree do you hold, or are you working on?

As to UT and its proportion of graduate students, I've heard the same thing. My friend who is currently in first year at UT states that the number of former UT undergrad/grad students in her class, as well as the number of grad students in her class, in general, is suspiciously large given the fal-de-ra of the selection process and lack of bias towards UT applicants.

Although UT states that they receive roughly 1700 applications annually, does anyone have an idea as to the percentage of applicants that are graduate students?

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*HHH

Date:***2/19/2001 9:47 am*PST

Hi there,

I graduated with an MSc in Epidemiology this past summer from Queen's, I do have BC residency though.... which explains the interview at UBC. I heard that about 600-800 of the applicants from UT were graduate students, when I talked to someone at the admissions. You're desciption of the process (i.e. 3 batches) seems logical. I guess that may mean that the graduate student 'sub-committee' meets three times. I am still interested to know how the grads vs. undergrads are compared in terms of academics?

Good Luck

Guest Ian Wong

Date:***2/19/2001 10:41 am*PST

Hello again,

600-800 graduate applicants sounds like quite a large number. I would have assumed that the majority of applicants would have been undergraduates. Och well.

As to how graduate applicants are compared to undergraduates when determining who finally receives an interview invitation, and finally acceptance, remains a bit of a mystery. Unless UT has a quota for the number of graduate and undergraduate students it is willing to accept, (which I have not heard that they do), it remains more convincing that they proces batches of undergraduate and graduate applications together, i.e., during those three time periods. During that time, all of the applications within each time slot may be evaluated then adjusted to fit on one scale for interview selection purposes.

Hmmmmm. The mystery perpetuates.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Archived