Premed 101 Forums

Good day all!

firefighterjay

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself to this wonderful website full of info and great people! Thank goodness for google and thoughtful typing to find premed101.com. I live in Victoria BC but was born and raised in Thunder Bay ON..would I ever go back? Only if Northern Ontario School of Medicine accepted me! I began my journey towards medicine a year ago, after pursuing firefighting for nearly 7 years. I was a paramedic for a short while and during that time i discovered my passion to not only help people, but to see them through the beginning/onset of illness/injury, or what have you, to back on their feet with a little skip in their step. So far, it has been quite the wonderful, eye opening experience in all my travels (still saving for a trip to Europe!) and I look forward to participating on this website and watching all of us succeed in our endeavors to become physicians! All my best to you all!

I like to know about who people are so I guess i'll go first!

I love surfing/paddleboarding and have been making my own paddleboards for a year now-it is so awesome. Been playing cello for almost 8 years and it is something I shall never quit.Right now i am wanting to join the Victoria Conservatory of Music as a cellist, but between volunteering and a full course load, time is hard to come by! I volunteer with with the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary-amazing organization to be with! We repsond to all types of on-water emergencies in all types of weather (yes, even waves that can reach 10-15 feet) in vessels capable of self-righting in the event of roll over. During the school term, i work weekends for a private non-emergency ambulance service which gives me great exposure to the hospital environment-it is where we work! So ive been around thousands of patients, families, nurses and doctors, and from this experience alone, I know I want to become a physician. I also love to knitt... yes it is true and yes, i have made a blanket :) Next up is a hoody!

A little insight to who I am. Anyone else want to chime in?

Take care :)

Welcome to the forum! That was a nice introduction, thanks for sharing :)

My name's Kirsten, I'm living in Kamloops, BC (born in Newfoundland, raised in Alberta, but definitely a BC girl. I love it here!). When I turned 18 I backpacked through Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia alone, met tons of amazing people, saw beautiful things, learned a lot about myself and and finally developed confidence for the first time in my life. 6 months after I got home, I went around Costa Rica, Northern Panama, Nicaragua, Honduras and Guatemala for another two months. I got certified to scuba dive in Honduras (Utila) and long to go back to get my advanced certification! It's like a whole new world under the water!

I've been working as a care aid for 2.5 years and am currently in nursing school, very much planning on going into medicine after I graduate. I started taking karate this winter and adore it- it totally clears my mind and refreshes my body-, am cross country skiing with my dad most weekends, and party with my incredible friends once or twice a week :) I'm volunteering with Big Sisters (tons of fun, super easy and makes me smile so much!), the Salvation Army meal truck a couple of times a month, and am looking at joining Best Buddies at my school, a group like Big Brothers that matches you to a person with developmental exceptionalities and all you do is be there friend and hang out once a week! I'm very much looking forward to it, it sounds like a wonderful cause.

That's mostly it :) Lovely to meet you, Jay, and I hope you get as much out of these forums as I have!

I shall introduce myself as well!

My "name" is Cerena.

I'm very bubbly, and I like to smile.

And I often overuse emoticons... :o

People make me happy. Research makes me happy. And helping others makes me... happy :)

Equally important is a bit of laughter and humour.

I've just finished a 5 year biochemistry (oops --- sorry for swearing) degree and that was definitely not my passion... but I enjoy medicine. And, I'm committed to become a rural physician in the future.

I dance and play piano every day. And, it's no secret that I love to cook and bake.

Being part of this forum has been wonderful. It's a great source of information, and I hope that you find what you are looking for. If you have a question, someone will have an answer :)

Welcome!

Archived