Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah the legal name hasn't changed - the outcry from the alumni if that happened would be shattering! Can you imagine having a degree from a university that no longer seems to exist. Imagine some of the complications :)

This is my exact situation and it has indeed caused a lot of complications for me in the application process. I attempted to apply to osteopathic schools but AACOMAS wouldn't even calculate a GPA for me, despite me calling and explaining the situation.

No one really called it UWO... people just say Western.

UWO is lazy short form when you're talking about it on paper...

Students don't - I have a pile of paperwork though with UWO all over the place in official documents - not to mention my medical school hoodie :)

Probably just be replaced with Western I guess - something just to get used to.

This is my exact situation and it has indeed caused a lot of complications for me in the application process. I attempted to apply to osteopathic schools but AACOMAS wouldn't even calculate a GPA for me, despite me calling and explaining the situation.

ouch! No one on your side to confirm things, no one to explain any issues with your transcript..... - actually for that matter how do you even order a new transcript?

The school split apart into multiple different entities and one of the new schools handles the record keeping for former students. Just one more thing to worry about ;)

That's simply frustrating though...

ps. are you on SDN too? I think I've seen you on there.

That's simply frustrating though...

ps. are you on SDN too? I think I've seen you on there.

I am, I haven't posted on here for a while, as I've been focusing on American schools this year, but have come back just to see what happens with the cutoffs this year. I really liked Western, when I interviewed there last year and I remember the anticipation I felt before the release of that information.

I am, I haven't posted on here for a while, as I've been focusing on American schools this year, but have come back just to see what happens with the cutoffs this year. I really liked Western, when I interviewed there last year and I remember the anticipation I felt before the release of that information.

Congrats on the American schools!

Yeah, I've got a few of those too. But I'd really like to go to Western... I seriously love that school so much. It's all I think about lately. A shiny white coat with that purple schulich logo <3

Yeah, I've got a few of those too. But I'd really like to go to Western... I seriously love that school so much. It's all I think about lately. A shiny white coat with that purple schulich logo <3

purple had always been my favourite colour. Somethings just work out :)

Once again - hang in there everyone :)

Thanks! I completely agree, Western is amazing. And I too was daydreaming about Schulich adorned clothing, in particular their purple hoodies. But like rmorelan says, some things just work out the way they're meant to. I am going to be happy where ever I end up next year.

Or as they say now, WU. Perhaps to reflect the growing asian population? :rolleyes:

Lolololololol

Thanks! I completely agree, Western is amazing. And I too was daydreaming about Schulich adorned clothing, in particular their purple hoodies. But like rmorelan says, some things just work out the way they're meant to. I am going to be happy where ever I end up next year.

Yeah, I will be just fine at one of the American schools I have lined up. But I really want to stay in Canada. Plus, I think purple looks good on me ;)

The speculation is killing me, but I doubt the cutoffs are going to change at all. Maybe an increase of the GPA to 3.75?

Who knows...

I hope Monday is the day.

I'd like to see it go up to 3.75 - but it probably won't (they had a decrease in application numbers over the last few years).

I'd like to see it go up to 3.75 - but it probably won't (they had a decrease in application numbers over the last few years).

With the 11 in verbal... and the decreased application numbers, there are lots of people cut right there.

But it seems that most people get screwed over for not taking 3/5 courses at your level in university. Or for not taking a full course load etc.

again not sure why anyone would want them to go up. The number of interviewees will still be around the same I believe so all that means is your competition just got comparatively tougher (instead of 450 people with a GPA > 3.7 you have 450 people with a GPA > 3.75 - that doesn't help you no matter what your GPA is :) )

Or am I missing something?

again not sure why anyone would want them to go up The number of interviewees will still be around the same I believe so all that means is your competition just got comparatively tougher (instead of 450 people with a GPA > 3.7 you have 450 people with a GPA > 3.75 - that doesn't help you no matter what your GPA is :) )

Or am I missing something?

Oh I just mean in the big picture of it. A pool of higher academic achieving applicants to be physicians could mean better health care outcomes.

But good argument if you're only looking at it from the applicant POV.

Oh I just mean in the big picture of it. A pool of higher academic achieving applicants to be physicians could mean better health care outcomes.

Maybe :) But there is a good reason GPA is only a relatively small fraction of the admissions criteria as far as we know. It is an old argument but beyond a point smarter may not necessarily mean better in medicine.

A pool of higher academic achieving applicants to be physicians could mean better health care outcomes.

Could does not mean it will happen. All those accepted for interviews are excellent candidates and I do not believe that higher academic achievers than what exists will make any impact upon the quality of our future practitioners.

Could does not mean it will happen. All those accepted for interviews are excellent candidates and I do not believe that higher academic achievers than what exists will make any impact upon the quality of our future practitioners.

Just to add to that - remember if you are invited to an interview anywhere they think you are capable of being a good doctor. The interview panel is made up of a lot of professionals including doctors - these people are busy and the schools do not waste their time having them interviewing people that have no chance. It is a waste of resources/time.

But good argument if you're only looking at it from the applicant POV.

In my opinion, Healthcare outcomes are more related to healthcare policies than academically smarter physicians

Archived