Premed 101 Forums

Getting into pharmacy school

justrandom94

• 4 weeks later...
So, was just wondering, is UofT's pharmacy school or UoW's pharmacy school biased against any universities for undergrad programs?

They are not biased, but you do have to fulfill all the prereqs, so entering from a science program would obviously be easier.

@Pepedo: U of T up'd their pre-reqs, so now you can't get into Waterloo or UT after first year.

There are several difference between the PCAT and the MCAT. I was told the PCAT was also not as well written (e.g. there were typos in the questions etc). PCAT I believe has a section on calculations of some sort.

• 1 month later...

You can definitely get into pharmacy after your first year. I know people who have been admitted after 3rd or 4th year.

I wrote the PCAT in 2008 or 2009 and I've only glanced through a sample MCAT. I found the PCAT quite easy compared to the MCAT, so if you've written the MCAT you'll be fine. There is a section for calculations but it is fairly basic (ie conversions in weight, volume, etc).

I found the PCAT prep books helpful. I only went through them for a couple of hours before the test because I realized I didn't want to pursue pharmacy. I did decently without much preparation, so if you study hard I'm sure you'll do well.

• 1 month later...
They are not biased, but you do have to fulfill all the prereqs, so entering from a science program would obviously be easier.

@Pepedo: U of T up'd their pre-reqs, so now you can't get into Waterloo or UT after first year.

There are several difference between the PCAT and the MCAT. I was told the PCAT was also not as well written (e.g. there were typos in the questions etc). PCAT I believe has a section on calculations of some sort.

Okay so for my undergrad i will either go to mac for chem or ryerson for chem, so if they are not biased either uni i go to will not hinder me getting into pharmacy school provided i have the right requirements and grades?

I wrote my MCAT last summer and just on a whim, I decided to write the PCAT two weeks later. In my opinion, it was much easier than the MCAT, but I can see how it can be challenging (the analogy section). Also, I found that the Kaplan books weren't that great for the math section of the PCAT.

Archived