Premed 101 Forums

What does Premed101.com mean to you?

future_doc

So many of us have been here for years and not left like many others once they got into med school. New members, who have been lurkers or who just came acros this forum, and need specific answers sign up. For example, a number of non-posting Cegepiens have joined up so they might ask for help with applications by PM.

Everybody has their own reason for joining our community and for staying. :P What's yours? Why do you keep coming back? For fun? Boredom? To help others? To ask questions?

For sure, Ian has done something wondeful, this is a value source of information, knowledge, inspiration and opinion. And the mods he has selected are terrific. :)

Please share your story!

To learn from the experiences and viewpoints of others, who are in different fields, in different locations, and at different stages of life and training.

To give back - I learned much from this site when I was initially applying, but did not have much to contribute. Now I know a bit more and hope that my perspective will be useful to others.

To demonstrate that the variable reinforcement schedule is effective - it's something that can run in the background while studying, and when I refresh there's some new food for thought, a question to respond to, or an entertaining post.. most of the time..

To give back - I learned much from this site when I was initially applying, but did not have much to contribute. Now I know a bit more and hope that my perspective will be useful to others.

The ripple effect of what you have taught me enables me to help applicants every year. Thank you! :) Your kindness and wisdom is deeply appreciated by all whom you have touched. :P

Originally it was to get info on this whole process,

But like someone else mentioned above, it does help with loneliness, it also helps to see that others are going through similar struggles (makes you feel normal in a way). You also start to develop friendships, even thought you have never met some of the people on here, to some extent you do consider them as close as real life friends. Anyways, that's just my experience from being on this site.

Well I don't really have friends that know the medschool application process well (the ones who think that hospital volunteering is a requirement etc etc), so premed101 tends to be a nice community to discuss medschool related stuff!

And of course, the york community here is very helpful when it comes to advice relating to courses!

You also start to develop friendships, even though you have never met some of the people on here, to some extent you do consider them as close as real life friends. Anyways, that's just my experience from being on this site.

Defintely, anonymous firendships develop here due to common interests, values, goals and understanding.

It can be a good resource, a good distraction, and sometimes a good source of laughs!

I've been around too long ;) and while I don't have much time to be on here now, I do keep an eye especially now around interview time I am so curious how some of those whose names i've known for a while are doing in the process.

I should also add, I've made some lovely people on here, who have become fb friends and even RL ones.

I discovered pm101 as a lost graduate student who didn't want to be in academia anymore and was thinking about applying to med school. I stick around to hopefully be a voice of reason in the sea of "if you've ever screwed up even one thing in your life, you'll never become a doctor."

And I met my med school bff on here!

When in cegep, I used this website to get additionnal information on medical school application, but I did not sign up. Why would I? every anwser is there somewhere if you know how to use the 'search' button...

Then on my first year of medschool a friend of mine asked me to sign up to help him with his argument with people not believing how much time it takes to get from Montreal to Saguenay... Yeah, I know, it's a pretty dumb reason to sign up...

But still, I grew up to like the forum, so I come back once in a while when I'm bored to give my 2 cents in some worthy threads.

But lately, I'm getting really tired of seeing all those "what are my chances/I screwed up/what am I gonna do with my life" threads...

It can be a good resource, a good distraction, and sometimes a good source of laughs!

I've been around too long ;) and while I don't have much time to be on here now, I do keep an eye especially now around interview time I am so curious how some of those whose names i've known for a while are doing in the process.

I should also add, I've made some lovely people on here, who have become fb friends and even RL ones.

+100000000

But lately, I'm getting really tired of seeing all those "what are my chances/I screwed up/what am I gonna do with my life" threads...

I know what you mean. It seems once you have been here a few months, the same threads keep popping up over and over again. I definitely get annoyed by that and it has shown in some of my posts.

I signed up because there was a lot of useful information on here from a lot of intelligent people. I learned pretty much everything I needed to know and more about med school. Right now this website is probably a liability for me. I come on here when I'm bored and it eats into time that could and should be used otherwise. On the plus side, every time I visit, it is a constant reminder of where I want to go in life.

I know what you mean. It seems once you have been here a few months, the same threads keep popping up over and over again. I definitely get annoyed by that and it has shown in some of my posts.

I signed up because there was a lot of useful information on here from a lot of intelligent people. I learned pretty much everything I needed to know and more about med school. Right now this website is probably a liability for me. I come on here when I'm bored and it eats into time that could and should be used otherwise. On the plus side, every time I visit, it is a constant reminder of where I want to go in life.

Sooo true!!

+1000000

I haven't been visiting as much recently partly because of that. I come here when I'm bored or to take study breaks, but also to see what the friends I've made here are up to.

Honestly I FIRST came to PM101 when I was finishing up high school back in '10. I just wanted to know if I even had what it took to be accepted into a medical school in Canada. I am one of those self conscious people and read every accepted/waitlisted/rejected post on this forum to see what type of e.c.'s people did and their GPA ect... Firstly, I never thought I would be good enough, I mean I am a very shy and not outgoing person in real life so seeing all those posts of stellar applicants being rejected really got me down. However, I began to realize that this forum is more of a support network and everyone here (except the trolls.. David..Sfinch.. ect.. ) is going through/has gone through the same adventure that I set my sites on. Now in my second year, I realize that I am more capable than I have ever thought myself to be. I am managing my GPA, getting involved and really giving it my all. If it wasn't for this forum, I don't think I would be able to consistently put forth a solid effort without worrying that it is all for nothing. I know that down the road, 2,3 4, years from now there is a seat in a medical school waiting for me, and it is up to me now to achieve my dream.

THANK YOU - PM101 !!!

ABS:cool:

Ah PM101,

So back in grade 11 before I found this site, I thought that the GPA system worked like this:

3.9 out of 4 = 3.9/4.0 X 100 = 97.5%.

So I didn't even bother to try in school because I knew I would never have a 97.5% average in university.

Then one day in one of the threads, someone explained how the system worked- and it was literally a break into song and dance - life changing moment for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived