Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invites 2011-2012

Yeah I agree with simpson very calculated description!!! But, they haven't increased the seats (to my knowledge there has been no formal announcement from the college of M)??? Anyone (that has been in contact) care to comment if they have in fact increased the seats for admission?!

In the integrated plan for the College of Medicine for 2012 - 2016 it indeed confirms that there are 100 seats for 2012 fall. It was approved back in October.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Simpsons! I always thought the cut off was last year min. marks!

To put it bluntly, based on last year's numbers of people with <85%, chances are about 4/270. The interview will certainly be a great experience though pressuring yourself to be the 1% might not work. You would be better served by applying yourself more and achieving a 5% higher average 2 year average to increase your chances 40 fold! That said, if you visit the non-trads forum you will see that people have overcome a lot more adversity and dedication will pay off!

And no cut offs are not based on last year's minimum. 83.9=/83.7

I believe only people that failed to get an interview are told the cut-offs at this point.

See above and usask med admission website for the references part.

You my good sir, are misinformed. Lowest accepted average =/ cut off.

What if the cut-off was 83.8% last year (it wasnt)..jk

See above and usask med admission website for the references part.

Ok, I know where to find the reference forms, but I still couldn't find any information on WHO we should choosing to write for us. For example, some schools require different types of references like a prof, a community member, and a supervisor. But, Sask doesn't really provide any information like that. So, who should we be using? Is anyone fine? I'm asking because of course I could use a prof, but his/her answer might not be as good as someone who knows me better (but that person hasn't taught me and doesn't have a PhD)... Does anyone have any insight on this or can someone point me to some information on the Sask website?

Thanks

Ok, I know where to find the reference forms, but I still couldn't find any information on WHO we should choosing to write for us. For example, some schools require different types of references like a prof, a community member, and a supervisor. But, Sask doesn't really provide any information like that. So, who should we be using? Is anyone fine? I'm asking because of course I could use a prof, but his/her answer might not be as good as someone who knows me better (but that person hasn't taught me and doesn't have a PhD)... Does anyone have any insight on this or can someone point me to some information on the Sask website?

Thanks

You need to choose 1 academic, 1 non-academic and 1 either academic/non-academic; sorry but I cannot remember the site where I saw this info...

You need to choose 1 academic, 1 non-academic and 1 either academic/non-academic; sorry but I cannot remember the site where I saw this info...

1 Academic = Bribe a professor with candy...

1 Non-Academic = Friend

1 Academic/non-academic = Friends Mom

Bottom line is : Medicine does not give a single [iNSERT PROFANITY] to references (Its a pass or fail)

• 2 weeks later...

1 Non-Academic = Friend

Bottom line is : Medicine does not give a single [iNSERT PROFANITY] to references (Its a pass or fail)

I do not want to divert this thread from its intended topic, but for you information, you are not allowed to choose family members nor are allowed to 'bribe a professor' as doing so is not only unethical but could also result in applicant's application being rejected as well as being considered dishonesty.

College of Medicine here at Usask does not give much important to references other than giving these pass-fail label (though the form is called Character Reference From). References are not meant to be an indication of how the applicant's characteristics are...after all people choose those references they know will write great things about them. I basically see these references letters as a 'push' factor making people more involve in extra-curriculum activities in hunt for a great references....I guess thats just my 2c :D

P.S. can anyone confirm whether we need 3 references or what, or was it just last year? Thanks

Thanks

Directly from the reference forms

"You are required to provide three forms of reference. Include persons who know you well and are able to judge you on your integrity, motivation, and judgment. Reference forms from relatives or family members will not be accepted. "

Person should have obviously known you (not family) but certainly having a PhD is not a requirement.

That was in last year's admission manual; this year it has changed and anyone goes. Last year's reference forms also had separate sections for academic and non-academic but this year they dont.

1 Non-Academic = Friend

Sad but true!

I do not want to divert this thread from its intended topic, but for you information, you are not allowed to choose family members nor are allowed to 'bribe a professor' as doing so is not only unethical but could also result in applicant's application being rejected as well as being considered dishonesty.

College of Medicine here at Usask does not give much important to references other than giving these pass-fail label (though the form is called Character Reference From). References are not meant to be an indication of how the applicant's characteristics are...after all people choose those references they know will write great things about them. I basically see these references letters as a 'push' factor making people more involve in extra-curriculum activities in hunt for a great references....I guess thats just my 2c :D

P.S. can anyone confirm whether we need 3 references or what, or was it just last year? Thanks

This post is off topic but everyone who would have posted here on topic already has since invites went out a while ago. References dont encourage people to engage in EC's at UofS since their flaw is quite apparent (all you need is the check in the right box), rather its just a frivolous tradition. Yes, 3 references. Just follow the instructions given in the emails. Everyone has the exact same info.

No, just me trolling... :D

But more IMPORTANTLY, did you guys notice a change for the references from last year:

-In previous years you needed: -1 academic source, 1 non-academic source, 1 academic or non-academic

-This year, its ambiguous as to whom we could choose for references...

Bingo!

Well thanks for the info...have you applied this year?

Directly from the reference forms

"You are required to provide three forms of reference. Include persons who know you well and are able to judge you on your integrity, motivation, and judgment. Reference forms from relatives or family members will not be accepted. "

Person should have obviously known you (not family) but certainly having a PhD is not a requirement.

That was in last year's admission manual; this year it has changed and anyone goes. Last year's reference forms also had separate sections for academic and non-academic but this year they dont.

Sad but true!

This post is off topic but everyone who would have posted here on topic already has since invites went out a while ago. References dont encourage people to engage in EC's at UofS since their flaw is quite apparent (all you need is the check in the right box), rather its just a frivolous tradition. Yes, 3 references. Just follow the instructions given in the emails. Everyone has the exact same info.

Bingo!

Anyone know if they have increased the seats to 100 for sure? As well, I heard from someone that they plan to increase it to 121 eventually. Now my question is "what will be its impact on the admittance?" (will the admission cutoff drop significantly? will application process become less competitive?)

David,

Someone told me that the seats were increased to 100 this year but I have not been able to confirm that on their site but I am pretty positive they have.

Also, I have an interview March 17, 3pm ;)

Oh, hopefully its increased :D But, it should have been evident in the cutoff (83.7% even with increased seats sounds intense!:eek: ) YES! someone from the forum is with me at that time!!! good luck btw

Hey All,

I recently heard a talk from Steven Lewis about healthcare and it's very discouraging for medicine :(

He mentioned about Canada having 90% more physicians produced per year than the previous decade due to increased number of seats in medical schools. He also mentioned something about how IMGs right now could practice relatively easy compared to before.

With an increase in supply of docs, he said that within 3-5 years there will be an overabundance of physicians. he said that as of right now there are 40 cardiologists who are unemployed.

Now, I know there is residency after med school, but whats gonna happen after that? I looked at the PAIRS contract too and by god, residents don't make a lot.

this definitely made me double think about medicine.

^^^

Yeah, jobs probably will be a lot harder to get in the near future than in the recent past, but I'm under the impression that for most fields of med you should still be able to get a job, though maybe not the one you were hoping for (less favorable location, terms, pay). I'm hardly an expert on this stuff though so don't take my word for it.

Hey All,

I recently heard a talk from Steven Lewis about healthcare and it's very discouraging for medicine :(

He mentioned about Canada having 90% more physicians produced per year than the previous decade due to increased number of seats in medical schools. He also mentioned something about how IMGs right now could practice relatively easy compared to before.

With an increase in supply of docs, he said that within 3-5 years there will be an overabundance of physicians. he said that as of right now there are 40 cardiologists who are unemployed.

Now, I know there is residency after med school, but whats gonna happen after that? I looked at the PAIRS contract too and by god, residents don't make a lot.

Wow, if that happens it would be really good for society (more physicians = better health care accessibility) But, job outlook won't look that bright in the future... as well, with the increasing physicians either taxes will rise or physician salaries will drop and I'm pretty sure it would be the latter... hahaha, the people in medicine for the wrong reasons will definitely find that enjoyable... hahahahaha

Wow... very informational topic!!! Like, I said money will need to be adjusted (for increasing costs) and I am positive in the near future doctor salaries will be affected, not the payment made by the citizen (as it goes against the Canadian Health Act) :D

hahaha... its sweet justice for people doing medicine for the wrong reasons!!! :cool:

Hey All,

you are correct, as a current med student, me and a few of my peers are quite scared of the possibility of being unemployed after residency :( oh well glad I finished my BScN.

I am not trying to discourage anyone but I would like everyone to know what you are getting into before you commit yourself to 6+ years of study.

Believe it or not, med students were actually against the increase of seats to 100 because they barely have the resources and mentors for my class what more if you add 16 more students!

you are correct, as a current med student, me and a few of my peers are quite scared of the possibility of being unemployed after residency :( oh well glad I finished my BScN.

I am not trying to discourage anyone but I would like everyone to know what you are getting into before you commit yourself to 6+ years of study.

Believe it or not, med students were actually against the increase of seats to 100 because they barely have the resources and mentors for my class what more if you add 16 more students!

Problem solved by increasing the amount of resources and mentors ;) (Tuition may go higher up though)

Problem solved by increasing the amount of resources and mentors ;) (Tuition may go higher up though)

easier said than done David. but i love your optimism! thats definitely one thing I have thats making me stay in medicine :) even though there is a risk of unemployment after residency :(

Archived