Premed 101 Forums

U of A OT Application

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the email (unless I interpret it wrongly), early admission includes from March to April. Afterwards, there will be admission meetings in May and June to determine the rest of the applicants.

The email also said that admission offers go out every month. So I assume, there was / will have 1 round in April. Then the next round should be in May.

Okay, that makes sense. It just seems so late to be still doing early admissions. It's going to be hard to (potentially) have to wait until June or later to find out!

Thanks for the info!

Kaicey, actually if you check their website, I notice they have changed a lot of info recently. They don't put 3.5 for early admission anymore. They admit 100 students, and up to 15 for SK students. And it mentions "After all of our offers are made in July, applicants with a GPA just below the cut-off for an admissions offer will be given the option of being placed on a wait list."

So apparently offers can be as late as August!

I also find this sentence interesting:

"Fulfilling the minimum criteria only guarantees consideration for admission. All applicants meeting the application requirements are ranked based upon GPA."

... curious to know if that's the case... how they consider letters of recommendation and CV.

I have wondered about that too. It really seems that the offers are all based on GPA, but then again, wasn't there someone on the other forum who had a very high GPA and didn't get an offer yet?

Maybe they did not fulfill the minimum criteria in something else. I don't know.

I also recall reading somewhere that there were a couple people accepted mid-August last year. I hope that doesn't happen - I'd be moving from BC and that is way too little time to get everything sorted out!

Hey since there are 100 spots and 15 are reserved for SK applicants...does that mean the 85 spots left are available to students all across Canada without preference given to specific provinces?

I know that their PT program only allows 15% of out of province students

I got an email from the office this afternoon and she said that they will not be having another admissions meeting until mid-June (so it sounds like there will not be any offers going out in May).

She also said that there is no limit on the number of out-of-province students admitted (with the exception of the 15 reserved spots for SK students).

I got an email from the office this afternoon and she said that they will not be having another admissions meeting until mid-June (so it sounds like there will not be any offers going out in May).

She also said that there is no limit on the number of out-of-province students admitted (with the exception of the 15 reserved spots for SK students).

Hey Kaicey, I have just PM you.

Thanks! :)

Hi guys, I've been lurking this thread for a little while now and thought I would finally join and comment. Really great discussion, thank you for all the information!

I am going to be finishing my undergrad at UofA this coming year, and am thinking about OT at UofA for 2013. Looking at the range that you guys are getting accepted for, I'm not so worried about my gpa, but I've been looking at some other threads for other schools, and lots of people are talking about their "clinical hours". Can anyone explain to me what this means (what counts as a clinical hour?...), and if UofA puts a lot of emphasis on this? Thanks!

Hi guys, I've been lurking this thread for a little while now and thought I would finally join and comment. Really great discussion, thank you for all the information!

I am going to be finishing my undergrad at UofA this coming year, and am thinking about OT at UofA for 2013. Looking at the range that you guys are getting accepted for, I'm not so worried about my gpa, but I've been looking at some other threads for other schools, and lots of people are talking about their "clinical hours". Can anyone explain to me what this means (what counts as a clinical hour?...), and if UofA puts a lot of emphasis on this? Thanks!

I'm assuming clinical hours are hours spent working in the field relevant to the program, maybe shadowing a health professional. I didn't have any "clinical hours" and I was still accepted so I don't think there is much emphasis placed on this. Although, I have been working with kids with disabilities for 4 years so I do have some relevant experience

Archived