Premed 101 Forums

U of A OT Application

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I e-mailed them and asked about enrolling in classes and they said that we will all recieve a course list in September telling us what classes we will be taking since we all take the same ones at the same time

Thanks! So I guess we don't have to worry about enrolling in them now or anything? I was briefly going through the classes on Beartracks and noticed that some spots in classes have already been taken

Thanks! So I guess we don't have to worry about enrolling in them now or anything? I was briefly going through the classes on Beartracks and noticed that some spots in classes have already been taken

I don't think anyone really knows whats going on since they haven't provided us with much information about what to do. That's probably why some people are enrolling already. I'm also not sure if they just give us a list of courses we need to take or if they just give us our class schedule

I got this e-mail from UofA:

"You will receive an e-mail from me in August giving you details about Orientation taking place on Sept. 4. At orientation, you will be provided details about First Aid, CPR, immunizations and other requirements of the program. Most of these requirements are offered through the UofA - everyone in your class will work together to obtain them.

Registration in classes will also happen in September. Again, everyone takes the same classes so you don't have to worry about registering early"

Hope that helps.

Hey everyone,

I'm also going to UofA this fall, and went ahead and registered in classes. I looked at the classes from last year, and then enrolled in them through bear tracks. Hopefuly I didn't jump the gun! My friend graduated from the program in 2011, and told me I should enroll early because there are some classes that are at better times than others.

Anyways, I set up a thread for us U of A Class of 2014. Go post so that we can see who all got accepted and is planning on heading to Edmonton this fall.

Hi Everyone, I am new here... planning to apply for UofA 2013. I saw from the school website that this is a 28 month program. This means 2 years and 4 months. But then from the OT handbook, (http://www.rehabmed.ualberta.ca/ot/H...ions.htm#Fees), it doesn't mention anything about the 1st semester of year 3. Does anyone how this 28 months spread out? And are there any courses during summer? And how many practicum through the program? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that they have a new admission assistant this year and they are very delayed with processing applications. Last year the cutoff date was June 15 but from the website it looks like they are doing rolling admissions until sometime in July. I couldn't find an exact cutoff date for offers anywhere. Best of luck to you.

Got the following email from Michelle Green this morning:

"The final admissions meeting is tomorrow and the final GPA cut-off will be determined and successful applicants and those placed on the waiting list will be e-mailed later this week."

So, sounds like we will all hear something by the end of this week!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey congrats for getting in! did you have alot of relevant volunteer/extra curricular relating to occupational therapy?

Thanks! As for your question, I worked for 2 years with people with disabilities (cerebral palsy, schizophrenia, bi-polar, autism, FASD, ADHD, and Down's syndrome) while in school. I also had a second job, where I worked with children, many of which were developmentally delayed. I'm not sure if the U of A took that into account or not, as they seem to go mostly off of gpa. They say that it can strengthen your application, but is not necessary.

Thanks! As for your question, I worked for 2 years with people with disabilities (cerebral palsy, schizophrenia, bi-polar, autism, FASD, ADHD, and Down's syndrome) while in school. I also had a second job, where I worked with children, many of which were developmentally delayed. I'm not sure if the U of A took that into account or not, as they seem to go mostly off of gpa. They say that it can strengthen your application, but is not necessary.

Oh thats so great! Yeah I have a job where I work with DD adults- should I mention that in my resume only or include it in my statement of interest?

Hey congrats for getting in! did you have alot of relevant volunteer/extra curricular relating to occupational therapy?

I don't have any directly related experience to OT. I think it depends on how your relate your experience to the program / profession. You don't need direct experience, but tell the school how your skills are important to the profession.

Oh thats so great! Yeah I have a job where I work with DD adults- should I mention that in my resume only or include it in my statement of interest?

I included it in my CV as well as my personal statement. In my personal statement I wrote about the skills I developed studying Psychology, and then wrote about how I applied those skills in the field. Then go on to describe how your skills are a good fit for OT, etc. Hope that helps :)

I included it in my CV as well as my personal statement. In my personal statement I wrote about the skills I developed studying Psychology, and then wrote about how I applied those skills in the field. Then go on to describe how your skills are a good fit for OT, etc. Hope that helps :)

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing! Good luck!

I see you guys are talking about extra curricular activities. I am planning on applying for the OT program, but only have experience working in physio clinics. Is that at all relevant for those wanting to go into OT. Or will the admission comitee only look for OT directly related experiences?

For the U of A you don't need any relevant work experience or volunteer experience. I would include your work experience on your CV.

Archived