Premed 101 Forums

Official McMaster 2011-2012 Interview Acceptance/Regrets Thread

BIG SURPRISE HERE GUYS:

1. Invited @ 3:01 PM

2. Geographical Status: Brampton, Ontario

3. Category: Hon B.Sc. 2009, Hon. B.Sc. in MRS (2012, ip)

4. cGPA: 3.36 - NOT A TYPO

5. Verbal: 11

6. Other Comments: I don't have words to express my gratitude to the world, life, PM101, and Mac.

I felt good about Casper, but with a cGPA as low as mine, I didn't have all that much hope.

To anyone who feels horrible, please understand that I have worked hard since my bad years in undergrad and kept very strong ECs.

All the best everyone and stay true, stay humble, stay driven and hungry to give it your best try.

And now for the biggest of the challenges, the MMI.

Congrats and mad props Applemanv3 - great lesson in persevering in the face of adversity. Although we have never met, I have nothing but respect for you. Good luck on the interview!

Cheers

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Der Kaiser & A Second Daniel.

If anyone read my post, I did indicate "stay humble". I did that on purpose. I'm simply hoping others in my position draw strength and give things their best shot.

Nevertheless, I have modified the font size for the opening of my previous post. No offense intended to anyone.

Hey Appleman, sorry for being a sore loser.. but at first glance, your oversize bold fonts really did make me feel you were rubbing it... i gotta keep my cynicism in check. sorry mate! my apologies.

@ Penguin1: thanks for the kind words! just shared what came from my heart.

@ Seventhstreet: thanks! I send you as many positive vibes as possible! Best wishes!

@ holiday1001: lol, it does kinda come off as funny...-___-

@ muhgel: I didn't mean to be rude/idiotic to you either. You're very helpful on these forums. I wish you all the BEST!!! :D (and I do agree the font was oversized o_o'). You're not a sore loser bro, trust me.

Long time neurotic forum checker/monster, first time poster.

Honestly I can barely believe this, I am so so thankful to say:

INVITED!

Geographical Status: IP

Category: not sure if my MA convocation was counted or not (I got it in Sept)

GPA: 3.58 OMSAS ( i think?)

Verbal: 10

Other Comments: I guess CASPAR went very well! I'm so excited and almost was afraid to post this - I don't want to jinx any of this good luck. Luck is certainly a huge factor!:D:eek:

Invited

Geographical Status: OOP

Category: Masters degree completed (2011)

GPA: 3.90 OMSAS

Verbal: 8

Other Comments: Thought that CASPer went really well and felt very prepared for it as a result of reading Doing Right and taking undergraduate bioethics courses.

Invited

Geographical Status: OOP

Category: Masters degree completed (2011)

GPA: 3.90 OMSAS

Verbal: 8

Other Comments: Thought that CASPer went really well and felt very prepared for it as a result of reading Doing Right and taking undergraduate bioethics courses.

Wow your CASPer must have been awesome! OOP and VR8! What did you find particularly helpful about Doing Right? Some other posters have said they didn't like it.

Invited

Geographical Status: IP

Category: 3rd year UG at UofT

GPA: 3.83 OMSAS including summer school, w/o 3.89

Verbal: 10

Other Comments: I didn't read any books/ethics papers. I just tried to answer the Casper questions as honest as I can. I think sometimes it's more about what would YOU do rather than what the textbook suggest should do.

Wow your CASPer must have been awesome! OOP and VR8! What did you find particularly helpful about Doing Right? Some other posters have said they didn't like it.

I found that reading the case examples in Doing Right and working through the process of addressing ethical scenarios it put me in the right frame of mind to address the CASPer scenarios. I had also completed a Masters degree in medical social work which was definitely beneficial in terms of CASPer performance having worked as a member of interprofessional teams in various health care settings and dealing with ethical scenarios on a daily basis.

Are we absolutely sure that not hearing today implies rejection?

i don't think they positively said "if you didn't get an e-mail today, you've been rejected.", but the site has

"ATTENTION - 2011/12 APPLICANTS

Results letters have been mailed to ALL 2011/12 applicants to the MD Program on January 30th. Those invited to interview have also received an email today.

If you have not received your letter by Friday, February 10, 2012 please contact the MD Admissions Office by email at mdadmit@mcmaster.ca and it will be scanned/emailed to you."

on it, if that means anything?

For those of us who haven't heard back yet, here's an optimistic thought:

Apparently the power went out at Mac today. Here's hoping the admissions office was affected too :D. Maybe Wendy's computer fried mid-send!

Lol, ok maybe not entirely realistic but there's always hope.

I was wondering about the interview waitlist thingy, since nobody has posted that they received this via email. There was a poster on here that was actually interviewed off the waitlist and accepted to the program, so it is nothing to scoff at I guess. Being on the waitlist for an interview would at least make me feel like I am not a complete failure at CASPER.

Invite! (e-mail around 3PM)

Toronto resident

4th year undergrad

cGPA 3.85

VR 13

Didn't know what to expect going in to casper, but I kinda thought it was a blast - wasn't sure how I did, but given how interesting the experiences were its nice to know I navigated them alright.

LOVE McMaster, rejections from Ottawa and Queens pale in comparison to this interview. Good luck to everyone, interview or not! This is such a stressful process, we should all be proud of ourselves for having the guts to push through it :)

Hey Appleman, sorry for being a sore loser.. but at first glance, your oversize bold fonts really did make me feel you were rubbing it... i gotta keep my cynicism in check. sorry mate! my apologies.

Just so you know, I kind of felt the same way about it, even though apple was probably well-intentioned, and I'm not even an applicant in this. It's like seeing someone yelling across the room in excitement after getting the very thing you wanted most. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes (or often times) we may give off impressions that we didn't intend to, in addition to misinterpreting other people's behaviour, so I would say it wasn't just you being cynical.

Archived