Premed 101 Forums

Official McMaster 2011-2012 Interview Acceptance/Regrets Thread

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again my bad on the font size :) No offense/harm intended.

In my defense, nobody wants to rub a 3.36 in anyone's face. From that itself, it was implied that I was simply calling out to all those in my position. Over the last few years, I wish more of those entrants with a cGPA of 3.00 to 3.49 would have posted here for support/inspiration.

Anyway, I rest this issue. All the best to all PM101ers. You all rock!

Again my bad on the font size :) No offense/harm intended.

In my defense, nobody wants to rub a 3.36 in anyone's face. From that itself, it was implied that I was simply calling out to all those in my position. Over the last few years, I wish more of those entrants with a cGPA of 3.00 to 3.49 would have posted here for support/inspiration.

Anyway, I rest this issue. All the best to all PM101ers. You all rock!

you had good intentions, that's what counts. I'm glad we cleared this up, as opposed to you getting a troll label on your forehead lol! tbh I didn't even think about the other way of interpreting it until some other people brought it up. emotional time for us all I think.

I'm excited

1. Invite: Today

2. Geographical Status: OOP

3. Category: Graduate Student

4. OMSAS overall GPA: 3.70, Grad school 4.00, Post-Bacc: 3.90

5. ECs: A wide assortment: working with minority/disadvantaged groups, Hospital, Hospice, Health agencies, Research, student government, student recruitment, school clubs etc)

For those of us who haven't heard back yet, here's an optimistic thought:

Apparently the power went out at Mac today. Here's hoping the admissions office was affected too :D. Maybe Wendy's computer fried mid-send!

Lol, ok maybe not entirely realistic but there's always hope.

I like the way you think! And I now have a teeny, teeny, teeny, teeny bit of hope back :D:P

I was wondering about the interview waitlist thingy, since nobody has posted that they received this via email. There was a poster on here that was actually interviewed off the waitlist and accepted to the program, so it is nothing to scoff at I guess. Being on the waitlist for an interview would at least make me feel like I am not a complete failure at CASPER.

Is there such thing as an interview waitlist at Mac? Surely if you're interviewing 500+ for just 203 spots, you don't really need those few extra people? If there is though, I hope a lot of us are on it!!

1. Invited

2. G. Status: Ontario

3. Category: Graduate (with an LLB from abroad)

4. GPA: 3.86

5. Verbal: 11

6. Comments: Casper was tough for me - I kind of just spewed every consideration I could think of, don't think my answers were well-formulated. But I'm glad I got invited because it's the only school I applied to..

Anyone know of resources for preparing for the interviews?

1. Invited!! SOOOO excited!

3. Category: UG completed

4. GPA: 3.78

5. Verbal: 10

6. Comments: I thought Casper was actually quite challenging...the time limit really threw me off but I got advice from a current Mac med student beforehand which helped a lot...very glad that Casper worked in my favour! Getting a little nervous about the interview tho....

1. Assumed Regrets

2. Geographical Status: Ottawa, ON

3. Graduate Student - set to finish in May 2012

4. GPA: 3.85

6. Other Comments: I felt Casper went better than last year - and I interviewed last year... guess it didn't

This is my 4th and final rejection from medical school - time to finish the MSc and get a real job I guess

1. Invited!! SOOOO excited!

3. Category: UG completed

4. GPA: 3.78

6. Comments: I thought Casper was actually quite challenging...the time limit really threw me off but I got advice from a current Mac med student beforehand which helped a lot...very glad that Casper worked in my favour! Getting a little nervous about the interview tho....

Care to share what this advice was?

1. Assumed Regrets

6. Other Comments: I felt Casper went better than last year - and I interviewed last year... guess it didn't

This is my 4th and final rejection from medical school - time to finish the MSc and get a real job I guess

It breaks my heart to see posts like these, please don't lose hope! If you apply again next year you'll get the grad school bonus, and you have a solid GPA and verbal!

1. Assumed Regrets

Sorry, if this thread is only meant for invite/regret statuses, but what about Western? Your 3.85 GPA makes me think that you would have at least 2 years that would meet their cutoff requirement?

1. Assumed Regrets

You have very competitive stats. Definitely apply for another cycle and include American schools on your list - it's a worthy investment. You are definitely competitive for top American schools assuming your other MCAT subsection scores are better!

Care to share what this advice was?

The time stamp on my email was 3:08pm.

My interview is on March 31st..just got the package today!

Um her advice was to make sure I demonstrate that I have considered both sides of the story/dilemma before coming to a conclusion...so show that I am not only aware of what the issue is but that I am considering both the pros and cons to the decision I ultimately have to make. It is kind of vague and seems really simple but it really helped focus my thoughts during Casper... I hope that helps!

I also read Doing Right before Casper and I found that it also reinforced the same ideas my friend suggested I think about.

Good luck to everyone!

1. Invited/Regrets: Invite

2. Geographical Status: Ontario

3. Category: Master's - but thesis is currently in examination process so don't get Master's bonus

4. GPA: ~3.85 (not including my exchange marks)

6. Other Comments: I think their whole point of CASPER is to get an honest representation of an individual. As many others have said, applicants can tailor their essay to what they think the adcom want to hear. By imposing the time restriction on CASPER, they tend to get honest and gut answers from most of their applicants. That being said, they need to make a cutoff somewhere and there's no saying that individuals who got rejected didn't perform well on CASPER.

Mions: "The time stamp on my email was 3:08pm.

My interview is on March 31st..just got the package today!

Um her advice was to make sure I demonstrate that I have considered both sides of the story/dilemma before coming to a conclusion...so show that I am not only aware of what the issue is but that I am considering both the pros and cons to the decision I ultimately have to make. It is kind of vague and seems really simple but it really helped focus my thoughts during Casper... I hope that helps!

I also read Doing Right before Casper and I found that it also reinforced the same ideas my friend suggested I think about.

Good luck to everyone!"

+10000

Those tips would exactly mirror mine.

both/multiple sides of an issue. examine as deeply as possible. answer all stations. use examples and be brief when possible.

1. Invited

2. Geographical Status: OOP

3. Category: 5th year (to get pre-requisites after a graduating in 2010)

4. GPA: 3.71

5. Verbal:11

Congratulations to those with invites! So nice to be able to share this success with you :)

I so want to be able to say something meaningful to those who received regrets because I've been there in this (and past) cycles. Maybe those years weren't my years or those weren't my schools. Hopefully there is a place for everyone in this field with the drive to keep pushing past these hurdles. Full speed ahead!

Got my official rejection today. Just to reiterate:

VR 11

cGPA 3.57

MA complete

Thought Casper went well (made decision, but examined both sides, filled in experience sections well).

Do you guys think it's possible to be rejected because your academic record was not verified in time? I did not get my OMSAS letter until the 29th, and when I received it it said grades not verified due to some pass/fail exchange courses on my record (I had not arranged for these since I thought they had been done through my home university, ends up they were from a program that no longer exists). Anyway, got a letter from my UG's registrar explaining situation, but it did not reach OMSAS until after December 1.

Archived