Premed 101 Forums

What the HECK do I wear for my interview?!

Renin

I also had trouble PMing Renin.

Just wondering if it was ok to wear a black pencil skirt, black blazer, and black pumps with black stockings? I have a huge bruise on my right knee (running on ice to catch a bus is NOT a good idea) and can't wear skin-coloured pantyhose.

Advice? My shirt is a dark turqoise, which I will be wearing with a black cami underneath, lol. Thanks!

Once again; I apologize for the PM problem - it's affecting all of pm101

I think your black stockings sound like a good idea - I only wear dark coverings on my legs, so I'm definitely biased here!

Your poor knee :(

Black on black on black is so awesome. Just make sure all your black is "new" and not faded. Crisp counts for bonus :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies, I need some advice on what to wear for my first interview and your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

As much as I try to convince myself, I just don't feel comfortable/myself wearing dress pants and a suit for the interview. I did some fashion studies on the side in high school and continued to sew/design things while I finished my science degree (suturing won't be too hard to pick up ;) ). I like to wear things that are unique/feminine but still classy I guess? Kate Middleton-ish?

I'd prefer to forgo the suit jacket/pants and wear a structured classy charcoal grey wool dress cinched with a belt along the waist... I think it would be professional but is it way too informal? Would it stand out for the wrong reasons? I guess a picture is worth a 1000 words so it's some what similar to this Jcrew one (click on the dark charcoal colour sample).

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/dresses/weartowork/PRDOVR~43712/43712.jsp

That or another black dress I have with white silk shirt underneath like this picture (minus the massive white scarf she is wearing).

http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&biw=1263&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbnid=pqDjfw7Ng4XJlM:&imgrefurl=http://selfishseamstress.wordpress.com/&docid=OyPKBaLGq475bM&imgurl=http://selfishseamstress.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/prim-1.jpg%253Fw%253D490&w=424&h=640&ei=X6NVT9GqGamaiQKq16joBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=744&vpy=140&dur=72&hovh=276&hovw=183&tx=81&ty=131&sig=108567868282829166701&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=90&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0

Thoughts? Suggestions? From browsing the forum, I do realize that its important to wear what I feel most comfortable in... but it seems that most of the ladies go for the suit jacket/pants/skirt. I feel like I am over thinking this but I just don't want to feel really out of place on interview day. Thanks for your input :)

It's a nice dress, and people have gotten in without wearing suits - but imagine everyone else is in a pant suit or skirt suit on interview day - are you going to feel out of place? There are more feminine suit options - think soft blouse + flouncy skirt - that will still allow you to blend in. Another idea: a dress + a blazer over it.

Ladies, I need some advice on what to wear for my first interview and your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Hey T.O. Student,

I was having the same issue as you. I wanted to wear something that I would be comfortable in and that definitely wasn't a pant suit. I haven't interviewed before but for my outfit, I want to convey my personality and not to look too generic (without being too crazy!). I would go with what you feel the most confident in. I personally like the second outfit better and I think you would be fine in it. Just make sure the skirt is an appropriate length and the colour isn't too crazy. Go with your gut!

Good luck!

question: does the skirt need to be at the knee at least? can it be above the knee?

I think it can hit just above the knee, that little dip where your thigh is the smallest. Letter C in this picture. I think when a skirt/dress hits here it is strikes the best balance between flattering and professional.

t6MUw.jpg

Hey T.O. Student,

I would go with what you feel the most confident in. I personally like the second outfit better and I think you would be fine in it. Just make sure the skirt is an appropriate length and the colour isn't too crazy. Go with your gut!/QUOTE]

I too like the second outfit in that colour.

miss_q: so long as you look professional, not sexy. Yes, C above.

I think it can hit just above the knee, that little dip where your thigh is the smallest. Letter C in this picture. I think when a skirt/dress hits here it is strikes the best balance between flattering and professional.

t6MUw.jpg

thanks a lot!

I was shopping today and had no luck with skirts, decided to go with pants =) Almost got everything except for shoes. For the dress shirt under the blouse, it doesn't have to have a collar right?

thanks a lot!

I was shopping today and had no luck with skirts, decided to go with pants =) Almost got everything except for shoes. For the dress shirt under the blouse, it doesn't have to have a collar right?

Of course not! I've never worn a collar at an interview. I think it gives you more options if you're not limited to finding a shirt with a collar, and you can have way more fun! At my (successful) interview at Dal this year I wore a light grey wool suit (it was cold out in November!) with a really bold patterned blouse that had an interesting pleated collar. I looked quite a bit different than everyone else who was in charcoal or black, but felt good that I was in a suit. And don't be concerned about spending a lot, especially on the blouse! I found mine at Value Village, although I think it still had its original tags on it ;)

One last thing, make sure you hem your pants to the shoes you buy :)

Of course not! I've never worn a collar at an interview. I think it gives you more options if you're not limited to finding a shirt with a collar, and you can have way more fun! At my (successful) interview at Dal this year I wore a light grey wool suit (it was cold out in November!) with a really bold patterned blouse that had an interesting pleated collar. I looked quite a bit different than everyone else who was in charcoal or black, but felt good that I was in a suit. And don't be concerned about spending a lot, especially on the blouse! I found mine at Value Village, although I think it still had its original tags on it ;)

One last thing, make sure you hem your pants to the shoes you buy :)

thanks! Definitely need to hem my pants...they are super long lol

um, can someone please define 'pant suit' for me? isn't this just pants and a jacket? and what pray tell, is a 'blazer'?

from someone who lives in either scrubs or comfy baggy cotton....

A "pant suit" is a women's matching suit (usually purchased together) that has pants as a bottom as opposed to a skirt. If you are male, you'd just buy a "suit", no need to make that designation.

A blazer is a jacket, and can be worn by either sex. That being said, I hear more women refer to the top portion of their suit as a blazer than men do.

A blazer is actually meant to be worn without the matching bottoms and used to be quite "blazing" in colour or pattern, hence the name. For all intents and purposes you can use the names suit jacket or blazer interchangeably when you're looking for a suit and the sales person should understand you.

I have a predicament that might sound a bit odd...i'm not really sure how to ask this without sounding ridiculous but here it goes.

I'm a tall, (natural) blonde female who has struggled in the past with not being taken seriously in the science world based on my appearance. As sad as it is, stereotypes are a problem for a lot of us in different ways!

Considering this, i'm wondering how I should present myself in my interview? I was planning on wearing a skirt suit with flats, hair down, and some make up (no more than I usually wear - light powder and a little mascara). But i'm wondering if I should wear a pant suit, hair up, and no make up for fear of not being taken seriously? I feel most comfortable with the former attire but am a bit nervous given bad experiences. Does anyone have advice??

As a tall, attractive blonde, you want to show the least skin possible to minimize distractions. I would go with the latter, that way you play it safe. For my interview, I wore a pant suit. I understand the problem and you do not sound ridiculous in the slightest, on the contrary, you are just being sensible. Good luck!

I have a predicament that might sound a bit odd...i'm not really sure how to ask this without sounding ridiculous but here it goes.

I'm a tall, (natural) blonde female who has struggled in the past with not being taken seriously in the science world based on my appearance. As sad as it is, stereotypes are a problem for a lot of us in different ways!

Considering this, i'm wondering how I should present myself in my interview? I was planning on wearing a skirt suit with flats, hair down, and some make up (no more than I usually wear - light powder and a little mascara). But i'm wondering if I should wear a pant suit, hair up, and no make up for fear of not being taken seriously? I feel most comfortable with the former attire but am a bit nervous given bad experiences. Does anyone have advice??

Wear makeup if that's what you normally wear, I'd feel soo uncomfortable if I didn't. Hair up for sure though, it'll help with looking professional and not playing with it.

If you already own a suit, wear whichever you already have. If not, buy whatever looks best. I don't think a skirt suit is going to lead to you being taken less seriously! I wore skirt suit and a shirt with a high-ish collar, which of course keeps cleavage in check but also any hid red splotchy-ness that sometimes pops up when I get nervous! I think the most important thing is your intonation and mannerisms (i.e. try not to sound ditsy/valley girl), be strong in your convictions and present yourself with confidence.

Thank you both for your advice!

I'm pretty lucky in that I'm just a bit smaller than my mom who has a closet full of great work attire. I was originally looking for pants but found that they were more "bottom-accentuating" than her skirts so settled for a simple black pencil skirt (with dark stockings of course).

Do you think a plain shirt/blouse is better or one with colour or pattern?

I agree that wearing my hear up is best, especially since I have a bad habit of playing with it. And, thankfully, I don't have ditzy intonation, haha.

Do you think a plain shirt/blouse is better or one with colour or pattern?

Like f_d said, whatever you feel comfortable in. I wore a pretty bold one (it's my favorite shirt :P ) but I wasn't nervous that it was overpowering because 90% of it is hidden by the suit.

Find a blouse you love. Find one that when you wear it, you feel like you can take on the world :cool:

Like f_d said, whatever you feel comfortable in. I wore a pretty bold one (it's my favorite shirt :P ) but I wasn't nervous that it was overpowering because 90% of it is hidden by the suit.

Find a blouse you love. Find one that when you wear it, you feel like you can take on the world :cool:

Unless it has little puppies on it. ;)

Most of the blondes in my class dyed their hair before their interview. ;) Just for thought.

+1 for blonde (not changing it) also wearing a skirt (no button down) with a different colored blazer. I figure I am a non traditional applicant- might as well just be me and let all my non-trad glory shine. No sense in trying to fit in this late in the game right?

Honestly I think there is no reason to worry, if you have put some thought into looking professional and you feel comfortable then you have a winning combination.

Im getting super excited as the date draws closer! We are on our way! :D

Archived