Premed 101 Forums

What the HECK do I wear for my interview?!

Renin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify - wearing a suit is the accepted practice for men at all med school interviews?

I've got this grey single-breasted H&M suit, it's a bit on the tight European side, should I buy a more conservative-cut suit?

Thanks!

(I live in a country where suits are only worn on very formal occasions)

Just to clarify - wearing a suit is the accepted practice for men at all med school interviews?

I've got this grey single-breasted H&M suit, it's a bit on the tight European side, should I buy a more conservative-cut suit?

Thanks!

(I live in a country where suits are only worn on very formal occasions)

Well, I think an Euro cut suit is gorgeous; but if it's TOO tight, then this can be a problem :)

how do you bring your suits on a greyhound/megabus?back it in a suitcase/duffel, or keep it in the hanger? or even wear it?

I wore my blazer and neatly folded my skirt. Wore a t-shirt and jeans.

But I'm a relatively tidy person; if you're a sloppy person, invest in a garment bag and transport it CARRY ON. You don't want people tossing your suit around.

I wore my blazer and neatly folded my skirt. Wore a t-shirt and jeans.

But I'm a relatively tidy person; if you're a sloppy person, invest in a garment bag and transport it CARRY ON. You don't want people tossing your suit around.

thing is, i can't carry a huge bag on to a bus. Once the suit is folded in the bag, then it can get tossed around and it won't matter. I'm just worried about folding my brand new suit :(. I can't just wear the jacket cause it's pinstriped and I'd look dumb... :P

thing is, i can't carry a huge bag on to a bus. Once the suit is folded in the bag, then it can get tossed around and it won't matter. I'm just worried about folding my brand new suit :(. I can't just wear the jacket cause it's pinstriped and I'd look dumb... :P

I think you can carry on ONE thing on the bus, no? I used to take my keyboard as carryon.

Don't fold it like you would fold a sweatshirt; put the suit in the garment bag, zip it up and then take some towels and then gently fold the suit into a C-shape (and use towels to hold the C-shape); and put it ALONE into your big suitcase. Use towels as necessary for additional padding.

Should work. I've done this with a formal gown.

And mark your bag FRAGILE.

• 3 weeks later...

Renin, I tried sending you a PM but I get a database error. ah well.

I feel conflicted.

I have a pantsuit that I like from Suzy Shier, but the jacket is short (and comes with a belt) and maybe not as professional (I'm tall and the jacket stops right after my bellybutton).

And I have another suit, where the blazer is a good length. My problem is that it *might* be dated? I don't know..I got it from Sears, and it has small shoulder pads. My parents like the shoulder pads because they think it shows a good posture for an interview.

I also had trouble PMing Renin.

Just wondering if it was ok to wear a black pencil skirt, black blazer, and black pumps with black stockings? I have a huge bruise on my right knee (running on ice to catch a bus is NOT a good idea) and can't wear skin-coloured pantyhose.

Advice? My shirt is a dark turqoise, which I will be wearing with a black cami underneath, lol. Thanks!

I also had trouble PMing Renin.

Just wondering if it was ok to wear a black pencil skirt, black blazer, and black pumps with black stockings? I have a huge bruise on my right knee (running on ice to catch a bus is NOT a good idea) and can't wear skin-coloured pantyhose.

Advice? My shirt is a dark turqoise, which I will be wearing with a black cami underneath, lol. Thanks!

Hey Gremlin,

I wouldn't worry about having too much black. That is basically what my outfit looks like except I have a silk burgundy shirt. As long as you feel comfortable and confident in it I think you will be fine! Just don't wear black nail polish or dark black eyeshadow haha Good luck!

Renin, I tried sending you a PM but I get a database error. ah well.

I feel conflicted.

I have a pantsuit that I like from Suzy Shier, but the jacket is short (and comes with a belt) and maybe not as professional (I'm tall and the jacket stops right after my bellybutton).

And I have another suit, where the blazer is a good length. My problem is that it *might* be dated? I don't know..I got it from Sears, and it has small shoulder pads. My parents like the shoulder pads because they think it shows a good posture for an interview.

Sorry; PMs are down right now for all of pm101!

I think that your Sears suit may be a better bet - I'd rather go with a tiny shoulder pad than a too-short suit! You may be able to get away with the short jacket and a high-waisted skirt!

The other thing is, you can take out the shoulder pads pretty easily if you don't like them. Most are loosely sewn in, or if not; I'd take out the xacto knife ;)

Archived