Premed 101 Forums

What the HECK do I wear for my interview?!

Renin

A frequently requested topic from me ... I have some thoughts on this subject, and am starting a blog series on it :)

If you'd like some last minute tips, here's the links!

What to Wear for my ______ Interview?!!! An Introduction.

What to Wear for my _______ Interview?!!! Part 1 - The Basic Formula

Part 2-4 coming over the next few days :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

And for those of you heading to LeChateau; there is a coupon code they sent me good until Feb 14th or so; $14 off $50 purchase.

Online: LOVE14

In store: PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

NB: I don't get commission from them; but they're a good place to start for nice interview apparel that won't cost you an arm/leg if you can get it on sale - see my other post in a few days :)

Dear Renin,

You dont know how much I love your blog and how thankful I am to have this post to look at. I have already arranged a trip with my friend who works in HR this weekend to put together an interview look. Of course I probably plan on doing this several times over the next few weeks and claiming its for interviews...because lets face it...I love clothes.

So far I have a gorgeous boyfriend blazer from LeChateau lined with grey and black abstract pattern silk (LOOOOVE) but Im hoping to find a less va-va-voom version of a pencil skirt/ flattering quality pants.

I think you should do a segment on hair. My hair is long and I dont know what to do with it on interview day. Is nailpolish ok? In a neutral/soft pink?

I am obsessing now. Most because IM SO EXCITED!!!!

LOL. I don't know anything about hair! :P

General advice on hair - do what is comfortable for you!

If your hair is long and in bad shape though, either deep condition it as often as you can before your interview day, get a trim, or put it up in a bun/pony/braid/whatever. Pigtails are probably not appropriate.

If your hair is short and flies all over the place; try your luck with a soft styling product. I personally have ++++++allergies to certain ones and so I'd advise you try the products before interview day, lest you swell up like a balloon.It is not pleasant. I do speak from experience.

If your hair is long and in gorgeous flowing locks,I am jealous. A lot of my friends with such hair have been advised to keep it up and out of their face, but if this is so NOT you, then don't listen.

If your hair is magical and enchanted and is groomed by birds, leave the birds at home. Also, it is probably extraordinarily long, so I would advise you lose some length. I'd say bum length is probably too long to be professional down.

If your hair is red/blue/green/purple/pink, I'd advise a re-tint of your hair to a more natural colour. Please attempt this with enough time to correct any colouring problems prior to your interview. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule: i.e.: if you have naturally red hair :P

General Advice for Nails

Now, I'm not a nail expert by any means. Keep them nicely trimmed and natural polish. Light pink you can probably get away with. No sparkles. No grey. No black. No red. No change colour with the mood polish, etc.

I personally keep my nails very short. I slick on some clear polish for special occasions, but that's about it - I hate the smell of nail polish.

I think you should do a segment on hair. My hair is long and I dont know what to do with it on interview day. Is nailpolish ok? In a neutral/soft pink?

I am obsessing now. Most because IM SO EXCITED!!!!

Hey RN-MD! I have been thinking about this too! I have long straight hair and I was thinking I would keep it down but out of my face (maybe put half of it up in a clip). I just find that fancier than a pony tail and more stylish than a slicked back bun haha. But definitely do what you feel looks best. Just make sure you aren't tempted to play with it! That's my biggest concern :) As for nail polish, I agree that a neutral colour would be the best. I thought that I may do a nice manicure or just trim them and put on a clear coat.

Renin-Thank you VERY much for you blog! It was soooo helpful!!!!

a question about heels girls - i love them, and i'm comfortable with wearing a 1-2 inch heel, BUT, is it generally a bad idea to wear heels that make that *tap-tap-tap* sound when you walk? they cause a lot of noise, and might be annoying to some people?

PS: thank you for the advice renin!

a question about heels girls - i love them, and i'm comfortable with wearing a 1-2 inch heel, BUT, is it generally a bad idea to wear heels that make that *tap-tap-tap* sound when you walk? they cause a lot of noise, and might be annoying to some people?

PS: thank you for the advice renin!

I equate that noise with "I'm F-ing fabulous and you better get used to it." Unless it bothers you, I don't really care. I wear clicky heels all over the place.

It's nicer though if you're on call and it's night, not to wear them. I wear ninja quiet flats at night.

I equate that noise with "I'm F-ing fabulous and you better get used to it." Unless it bothers you, I don't really care. I wear clicky heels all over the place.

It's nicer though if you're on call and it's night, not to wear them. I wear ninja quiet flats at night.

good tips! heels with a nice pencil skirt and hair half down sounds good to me - the flats at night tip is awesome too!

Should I carry a purse/bag to my interview? Do people usually do this? Where would you keep them during an MMI? It would feel weird not having a purse/bag but kind of annoying to carry it around to different stations :confused:
You can take a purse or bag. There will be somewhere to put it, along with your coat, while you're doing the MMI.

Should I carry a purse/bag to my interview? Do people usually do this? Where would you keep them during an MMI? It would feel weird not having a purse/bag but kind of annoying to carry it around to different stations :confused:

I wore a cross-body bag.

I don't trust people with my private things ;)

Archived