Premed 101 Forums

What Should I do?

Guest Mike

Guest Mike

Just thought I'd make a post in hear and find out what other people would do in my situation. It's kind of a long story so I'll just talk about the main points.

I've been out of school for a year after completing a 5 year double degree (Major+Minor). After examining my transcript I've figured that I'll need one more good year to be academically eligible for the schools I want to apply to. I took last year off so I could make some money and take the strain off my parents. Instead of looking for a job I spent the year learning how to market on the internet. As a result, I've had quite a bit of success and I'm now capable of supporting myself in my academic endeavors. However, to this point, my focus has been placed entirely on learning the ins and outs of marketing and I haven't been invovled in any other extracurricular activities. While in university I worked for a health care agency for 4 years and I had quite a bit of exposure in hospitals, nursing homes, the terminally ill, etc., so I know without a doubt that medicine is for me. I'm just wondering what I can do at this point in the summer to better my C.V. and make my application more interesting. I was able to do a research project (the effectiveness of thiol-containing antioxidants in preventing apoptosis in pc 12 cells) in my 4th year in my school's department of physiology, but I have no publications. I really need some advice on what I can do this summer and this next year while I'm at school. I used to be involved with toastmaster's so I'd really love to get back with them. I just turned 25, but I feel like I haven't taken advantage of opportunity (eg. a friend of mine travelled the world for the past year and a half). I'm a little late for most volunteer gigs in the hospital (because of the 2-step tb test), but I know I should do something to better myself. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Guest mdjoe

Mike

From your background I don't think you have to be hyper concerned about your volunteer experience in the near future.

I would concentrate on meeting the academic cutoffs for the schools which you would like to apply to. I think you said you were going to go back to school for a year. Take courses that you are interested in and score as high as possible. If you can't meet the academic requirements nobody will want to talk to you about your experiences as a volunteer.

You indicated that you had prior health care experience. When your at school why don't you get involved in school clubs. This will give you a different experience and perhaps illustrate your leadership abilities.

Write the MCAT if you haven't already. Study hard for Verbal reasoning and Writing Sample sections. The importance of these sections is emphasized by most MD admissions departments.

When you get interviews (and you undoubtedly will) use your experiences to illustrate your path to medicine. Help the interviewers understand Why Medicine? Why not another career? What experiences helped you decide. I don't think that you have to travel the world to know why medicine is right for you.

I hope this helps. Stay focussed and positive.

Archived