Premed 101 Forums

Course Contain change

IamIDP

So in a biochem course that I'm taking, the prof at the beginning of the course gave us an outline saying we will have 2 midterms that are 25m/c each and a final exam 50m/c. However, she later decided to change the 2nd midterm to 35m/c......To make matters worse, she decided to change the final exam from 50questions to 70 questions without notice (after drop deadline). Is the prof. allowed to do this?

I would say they can. They can do whatever they wanted. I think the syllabus, in most cases, is subject to change depending on what the prof feels is necessary.

One of my profs decided NOT to test us on the last 2 lectures, as well as cutting the exam questions short by 15 questions. If they're allowed to do it in this manner, why not the other way? It'll all be weighted the same though, right?

So in a biochem course that I'm taking, the prof at the beginning of the course gave us an outline saying we will have 2 midterms that are 25m/c each and a final exam 50m/c. However, she later decided to change the 2nd midterm to 35m/c......To make matters worse, she decided to change the final exam from 50questions to 70 questions without notice (after drop deadline). Is the prof. allowed to do this?

What difference does it make?

I was told by a prof that the syllabus is a contract between the prof and the student and that it couldn't be changed without the consensus of the class. This was mentioned because a lot of us had a midterm in another class on the same day as a midterm in his and we were looking to change the date. He told us that if even one person emailed and said they didn't want the date change he couldn't because he was bound by the syllabus.

I don't know how true this is, or how much weight it carries in practice (if you were to take your argument to the chair or dean).

I also don't know if it carries with the content of tests.

Like what was said above, does it really matter? More questions means each is worth less (one mistake doesn't cost you as much).

But if it really bothers you I'd check either with the dean or the academic ombudsperson.

I was told by a prof that the syllabus is a contract between the prof and the student and that it couldn't be changed without the consensus of the class. This was mentioned because a lot of us had a midterm in another class on the same day as a midterm in his and we were looking to change the date. He told us that if even one person emailed and said they didn't want the date change he couldn't because he was bound by the syllabus.

I don't know how true this is, or how much weight it carries in practice (if you were to take your argument to the chair or dean).

I also don't know if it carries with the content of tests.

Like what was said above, does it really matter? More questions means each is worth less (one mistake doesn't cost you as much).

But if it really bothers you I'd check either with the dean or the academic ombudsperson.

The nature of the course content and course itself...is brutal. She increased the questions from 25-->35 on 2nd midterm and average swooped down 10%. So yes, it makes a big difference as the questions she puts are quite challenging.

The more questions there are, the more reflective your score will be of your ability (less margin of error). I'm pretty sure the added questions wouldn't be any more challenging than the rest of them. Only the nature of the questions will influence the average, not the quantity (assuming you aren't pressed for time). That average would have dropped whether there was 10 or 100 questions.

The nature of the course content and course itself...is brutal. She increased the questions from 25-->35 on 2nd midterm and average swooped down 10%. So yes, it makes a big difference as the questions she puts are quite challenging.

If this is something you want to pursue I would start with the ombuds person and see if you have any grounds to complain.

The more questions there are, the more reflective your score will be of your ability (less margin of error). I'm pretty sure the added questions wouldn't be any more challenging than the rest of them. Only the nature of the questions will influence the average, not the quantity (assuming you aren't pressed for time). That average would have dropped whether there was 10 or 100 questions.

Nature of the questions are tough but to make it worse, time is precious. So do I have any grounds to complain?

complaining is the easy part. Having it result in something is different altogether lol

Yep. Chances are nothing will come out of it, as pessimistic as it sounds.

EDIT: depends how big the class is too. if it's small and the prof will recognize you make sure she doesn't feel like you're going over her head. otherwise she might do something nuts like make the next exam even harder. try talking to her first.

Nature of the questions are tough but to make it worse, time is precious. So do I have any grounds to complain?

Was there time added to go with the extra questions? If not, you may have a case. If the time was adjusted accordingly, you have no reason to complain IMO.

Was there time added to go with the extra questions? If not, you may have a case. If the time was adjusted accordingly, you have no reason to complain IMO.

No additional time. Same thing more questions. Average dropped 10%ish and the class was very big....but alot of people had to drop after the 2nd midterm. I chose to stay...

Archived