Premed 101 Forums

Entering Med School in 40's

Hi everyone, I just wanted to get a sense from everyone about a someone entering med school in their early 40's (this could either be me, or someone else....take a guess, haha)

I currently have 3 university degrees: (1) phys. ed. (aka kines - terrible gpa...these were the beer drinking years), (2) chemistry (basically from a mix of credits from phys ed degree + 2 more years. The 2 extra years was 3.85 GPA), and (3) Pharmacy 3.6 GPA overall (2 yrs at >3.7)

I am currently a pharmacist (last 8 yrs), but have always wanted to be a Dr (pharmacy was a backup plan that morphed into the 'only' plan). But I just don't feel fulfilled, and want to pursue what I've always wanted. I have a very comfortable salary, so money has nothing to do with it, and actually, I could most likely finish med school with little to no debt (already have a huge pot sitting there, plus could pay for a lot of it as I go through).

The main arguments that I hear (from the naysayers) is that I would go through x amount of years without being able to 'add to the pot', and only begin to make up for it several years down the road (Oh well, life's a *****).

The other is that people think I am borderline psychotic for wanting to work and study that hard at this stage of my life. To that I say, no way, I am only truly happy when working hard to achieve something. Which has become quite evident in my years since graduation, always trying to decide "ok, so I've achieved a/b/c at this point in my life, now where do I go from here?

Just wondering, 'borderline psychotic' or 'no brainer - Just do it!'?

What do you think?

I am also a pharmacist. I feel exactly the same We you are feeling. My question for you is how is your family feeling about this. Do they support you. For myself I am going Because my wife also supports me. At My age I don't think that I can be completely selfish anymore with my time. If you don't have any issues with that I would say go for it.

Good luck. I have started my journey by going back for another upgrading year.

It's definitely possible. But I would be very careful in being sure not to overestimate your chances.

Getting a kick ass MCAT score is very difficult to do. It's even harder to do when you've been out of school for a long time (I say this from experience, I wrote the MCAT without seeing orgo/gen chem/physics in a decade). And even if you do get a kick ass MCAT score, your odds of getting into medicine aren't very good.

Most schools will look at your complete academic record. This isn't going to leave you with a lot of schools. To give you a better idea of your chances, we would need to know (1) what province you're from, (2) what your cumulative GPA from all years is, and (3) a year by year breakdown of your pharmacy GPA. As a fourth point, you would want to ensure that your pharmacy degree meets Western's admissions criteria (a full courseload each year plus greater than 3 courses at your level or above... although they may have different requirements for second and third degrees on this last point).

Schools will also consider your extracurricular activities as well as letters of reference. I'm sure being a pharmacist is a plus, but some schools may want to see further involvement; have you been doing other things?

And even if you get all of the above, the interview can be a crapshoot.

Anyway, not trying to discourage you here, just make sure you're being realistic with your expectations. If you are set on applying this year, I would begin studying for the MCAT ASAP with maybe a July write date.

I know a physician who didn't start med school until they were in their 40's and they are easily one of the best I've ever met, and patient reviews concur with my sentiment. The point here is that sure you might not contribute as many years to the profession as a typical 20-something, but if the quality of your care is high does it really matter?

Don't worry about what newspapers or anyone else says in terms of "too old"- worry about whether or not its right for YOU. If you're passionate about it then go for it. Its a HUGE undertaking, and there are no assurances, but if you already have an established career you're probably much better off than a lot of us non-trads :)

Don't worry, I know I barely meet the minimum cutoffs, but banking on EC's and Experience in healthcare related field, and some of the work I have done in different areas in pharmacy, management, P&T commitees, community presentations, etc.

Huh. Well, I think you'd qualify as SWOMEN too so you don't even need a super high MCAT score. Just make sure your 4th year meets their course requirements in addition to their GPA requirements (i.e. 3.0 out of 5.0 courses at 3rd or 4th year level).

Depending on how this year and your MCAT both go too you may consider doing a non-degree year for undergrad, it wouldn't impact your chance at Western and may make you eligible for Queen's as well.

In any case if you know you want it, go for it!

Definitely you should go for it if you really want it, I think we're all in that boat right now trying to figure out how to get there but looks like you have a really good shot, you can do it!!

Plus you can work part time as a pharmacist and actually make a descent wage, not many of us are able to do that.

What course company are you thinking of taking ?

As someone who went back for gpa upgrade this year at 35 and earliest i could be accepted is 38 but likely 38-40 i cant tell you if its doable yet but im sure as hell going to give it my best.

You're going to be 40,45, 55, 65 (hopefully lol) at some point. If medicine is what you want, what you think you'll be good at, enjoy and make you happiest then age won't make a lick of difference. I've always believed in living without regets but the older you get the more you truly start to understand what this means.

I'm going to also say "no brainer"- but I also concur with ParaD. "I plan to get a kick ass MCAT score" is fine, but this may not happen. Also, don't stress too much about the WS. Once you do a few practices, non-trds tend to do well on that section because we have a bunch of really great experiences to draw on.

I vote for a no-brainer as well. You have one life and if you cannot fulfil your biggest passion, I think there is no point. I am exactly in the same boat as you are. 36 Years, Working(50hrs), female with 2 young kids and trying to pursue MCAT.

My take on it is ... You should do it.

- Don't tell people who discourage you about your plans

- Don't tell anyone who should not know

You can do it and should do it

Hi Durabol:

I am in Alberta. Just going back to do an upgrading year and then applying for next year. i currently practice in the hospital/ community.

Good luck on everything and if i were you, i would definitely go for it. there is nothing holding you back.

dttran

Be sure that you really want it. It is a long grind through med school and residency.

I agree. The grind begins to take on more meaning once the excitement of being in school again wears off. It's a long, long journey full of hoops to jump through that don't stop once you gain an acceptance. I know this sounds bitter but in reality I do love med school. Just be aware that it can be hard for people who feel comfortable in positions of knowledge/professional autonomy to go back to basically being an idiot for 4+ years.

That being said, the challenge of medicine is a huge part of its appeal. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• 1 year later...

It is never too late... I can say this confidently because I am 38 and writing MCAT this year so I can get into Med school as soon as I can. I have a successful alternate career however as my childhood dream was to become a doctor(tried it a couple of years in my home country), no successful career gave me the satisfaction. Finally I made up my mind, quit my job to prepare for MCAT. You can do it too....

i know someone who graduated from medical school at the age of 50, and went on to do a 5-year residency

i would say you need to consider whether you are willing to invest another big chunk of your life in med school and residency, and also if you are physically and cognitively up for it (heck im only in my late 20s and i find my memory to be deteriorating:( ), also consider from a family perspective, how supportive is your partner, how much commitment do you have for your kids etc., if after all those thinking you still wanna do it, i say go for it buddy

and just to add, i came from a background as an allied health worker, i hvn't really started working because i got accepted into med upon graduation, but i was offered a position at my hospital, so the thought of giving up that position (and a stable and nice income) and going back to school with early 20 yos to start from scratch is still quite daunting to me, so be sure you're mentally prepped for that

Archived