Premed 101 Forums

What kind of shoes to wear in hospital?

Hi! I think the title says it all! I am beginning my rotations this fall and I am wondering what kind of shoes to buy for hospital. Snickers? High-heels? Flat shoes?

I guess that way you'd have a snack if you got hungry?:confused:

Personally, I see it being awfully messy on the wards... the housekeeping staff would hate you.....;)

I invested in a pair of Dansko shoes after my first day clerkship. It had been an eye-openingly sore-feet-inducing first day in the OR. I stepped into these shoes at the store, and, instantly, my feet felt better.

standard_306500202.jpg

Dansko closed back clog

Initially, I planned to only wear them in the OR with scrubs, but in the black oiled leather they were decent enough to pull off with dress pants (and there's still a lot of standing around rounding on the wards), so I wound up wearing them nearly every day in clerkship.

They squeaked a bit by the end, but held up really well otherwise (even with regularly wiping them down with Cavi-Wipes!) Most importantly, while wearing them, there was only one day where, at 4am on call, I noticed my feet hurting a little -- they were so comfortable!

I wore heels in the OR... and on all of my rotations; 2-3" in a comfortable heel was great for me.

On non-heel days; I wear flats w/ extra gel padding for my heels (otherwise they hurt at the end of the day; along with my knees).

I also have tall leather riding boots; one pair with a 2" heel; one with a 1.5" wedge.

I have recently added a pair of gold flats. Yay!

With scrubs, I wear runners. Avoid mesh or anything that cannot be cavi-wiped in situations where fluids are likely to land on the top of your shoes. If standing for long periods of time (OR, rounds), compression stockings are valuable as well. Gel inserts can also be very helpful. With dress clothes, I wear closed-toe dress flats. These have caught my eye recently:

http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Concert-Hall-Flat/dp/B004L45UL0 Consider boots in winter.

I wore heels in the OR... and on all of my rotations; 2-3" in a comfortable heel was great for me.

How did you get away with that?!?! The scrub nurses would have eaten us alive. We often get death glares with the clickity clacks of high heels in the hallways anyway.

TOMS are defs a cute look but I'm not willing to subject them to gross fluids and floors... nothing is worse than getting meconium stained, bloody amniotic fluid on your shoes/socks at the start of your OB call shift.

How did you get away with that?!?! The scrub nurses would have eaten us alive. We often get death glares with the clickity clacks of high heels in the hallways anyway.

TOMS are defs a cute look but I'm not willing to subject them to gross fluids and floors... nothing is worse than getting meconium stained, bloody amniotic fluid on your shoes/socks at the start of your OB call shift.

Why would OR nurses care what footwear I wore? :|

I still get death glare with high heels, but I don't care about that - they chalk it up to my psychiatry tendencies.

the guy who did heart surgery on my dad actually wore that… in clinic though

I usually bust out a pair of alligator cowboy boots with spurs when I am in the OR... lets peeps know who's da boss, plus, they match the cowboy hat and belt buckle

Hawaiian shirts have been known to happen, so i think ur second assertions pretty bang on.

Why would OR nurses care what footwear I wore? :|

I still get death glare with high heels, but I don't care about that - they chalk it up to my psychiatry tendencies.

Archived