Premed 101 Forums

Is my GPA competitive for Canadian schools?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this discussion forum, so please forgive me if I am posting on the wrong discussion board. Here is my brief profile

Citizenship: Canada - resident of B.C.

Year: Senior (4th year - graduating next month)

Institution: University of Chicago (don't think Canadian schools actually care)

Cumulative overall GPA: 3.80 (got a 3.5ish in my first year)

Average of best two years: 3.92

Most recent three years: 3.89

Cumulative science GPA: 3.74

I heard that the admissions processes for Canadian medical schools are pretty number-heavy. I heard that many even have strict GPA cut-offs.

I am just wondering, are my numbers competitive for Canadian medical schools? If so, what schools am I eligible for admissions?

My extracurricular activities are very decent if they actually mean anything to Canadian medical schools. I've gotten published three times (one first author on a very prestigious journal - just a bit below Nature and Science in terms of calibre). I have also presented my research six times at conferences throughout North America (one international calibre). I also have substantial leadership experiences and clinical experiences. I also won some awards for community service.

I appreciate your responses.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this discussion forum, so please forgive me if I am posting on the wrong discussion board. Here is my brief profile

Citizenship: Canada - resident of B.C.

Year: Senior (4th year - graduating next month)

Institution: University of Chicago (don't think Canadian schools actually care)

Cumulative overall GPA: 3.80 (got a 3.5ish in my first year)

Average of best two years: 3.92

Most recent three years: 3.89

Cumulative science GPA: 3.74

I heard that the admissions processes for Canadian medical schools are pretty number-heavy. I heard that many even have strict GPA cut-offs.

I am just wondering, are my numbers competitive for Canadian medical schools? If so, what schools am I eligible for admissions?

My extracurricular activities are very decent if they actually mean anything to Canadian medical schools. I've gotten published three times (one first author on a very prestigious journal - just a bit below Nature and Science in terms of calibre). I have also presented my research six times at conferences throughout North America (one international calibre). I also have substantial leadership experiences and clinical experiences. I also won some awards for community service.

I appreciate your responses.

Your in good shape; but I would still double check to make sure your GPA is correct according to Canadian standards (OMSAS). I know a friend who had a 4.0 in the states but when he watned to come back to Canada for med school, his GPA was much lower than 4.0

jordan19, thank you very much for your reply. I just Googled OMSAS GPA conversion chart, and UChicago's GPA scale is the same as McGill's. A=4.0, A-=3.70, B+=3.30, B=3.00 and so on.

Does anyone know what schools, based on my GPA, do I have realistic shots for acceptance?

My friend told me McGill is off the table for me, since they don't like out-of-province students in the first place and have something like a 3.9 cut-off.

Any In province schools as more seats will be reserved for IP vs OOP :)

Does that mean realistically I only have a shot for UBC vs medical schools in other provinces?

Sorry, I have been in the states for close to four years. I actually have a better understanding of admissions to U.S. medical schools than I do of admissions to Canadian schools.

Does that mean realistically I only have a shot for UBC vs medical schools in other provinces?

Sorry, I have been in the states for close to four years. I actually have a better understanding of admissions to U.S. medical schools than I do of admissions to Canadian schools.

Idk but certain schools, such as University of Toronto, treat all Canadian equally without considering IP vs OOP (if I recall correctly); however, most schools reserve their seats for IP students

Marry an American citizen. :P

I came up with a list of Canadian schools I will be applying after checking all of the schools' GPA requirements. They are:

University of Toronto

University of British Columbia (best three years)

Dalhousie University (last two years)

Queen's University (holistic)

University of Western Ontario (holistic/3.7+)

University of Calgary

University of Alberta

McMaster University (CaSPER)

McGill University (super reach - but worth a try)

I think this is a reasonable list of schools. Of course, I have to do exceptionally well on MCAT and personal statements.

A reasonable list? Too many reach schools? Just about right?

A reasonable list? Too many reach schools? Just about right?

To my understanding, it is best to apply broadly if you are financially able, so I don't see why you wouldn't apply to as many schools as you'd like.

also don't forget about the MCAT for most of those schools on your list... this is a quote from Dalhousie's webpage "The latest sitting to write the MCAT exam in order to meet the submission deadline for the 2012-2013 application cycle is August 4th, 2012". best of luck to you!

Thank you for your reminder. I will not enter this admissions cycle because I hope to do some volunteer work in Africa. This will give us some time to really study for MCAT.

Oh and I totally forgot to put down Ottawa in my list.

If you can apply this cycle, then apply.

Thank you for your replies. Does anyone have any suggestions for American medical schools? I don't know whether I am actually competitive for the top schools here.

Almost all of the Canadians I have seen on this forum applying for American schools have close to 4.0! Feeling really intimidated.

• 1 month later...

Archived