Premed 101 Forums

The 2012 Waitlist

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh I see what you mean now. *sigh* Another date to obsess over. You know, I was so prepared to either be in or not in on the 15th... just my luck that I would be waitlisted :)

1st application: rejected before interview

2nd application: interview, then rejected

3rd application (this year): interview, now waitlisted

maybe I'm destined to get in next year? haha.

Hey waitlisters, what are your fall plans if this year doesn't pan out?

I wish that they at least told us how many people were on the waitlist so we could estimate how likely it would be that we would gt an offer. From posts from previous years it seems that they usually take 50-100 IP people? So if we guess 75 and on average 30-40 get off the IP waitlist the chances are still alright...sigh the 23 hey? Right now it is hard to imagine getting through another application cycle.

Applied in 2009 and I goofed up my transcripts so I was inelligible

Applied in 2010 and didn't follow the instructions (definitely my fault) and only entered 5 volunteer activities and missed in interview cutoff by a couple points.

And here we are this year...doing the process again seems tiring but there are people on here who give me hope with their determination year after year. If I don't get an offer of the waitlist this year I at least want to work somewhere meaningful next year. I guess this was my first true crack at it because I finally paid attention got everything in on time and followed the instructions!

If I don't get through the waitlist by the end of June I will apply EVERYWHERE.

I will apply to PT, MD, MD/PhD. This is my third application.

Same pattern as you halfie.

1:rejected

2: Int/rejected

3: Int/Waitlisted

I have my M.Sc. now (will defend in June) so I will apply to some sessional positions at colleges and universities in Vancouver. I will no doubt continue to be a teaching assistant at my university, and I will travel as much as I can, volunteer, coach, and try to publish my research.

Oh, and move out of my parent's house.

Basically, I'm not slowing down, and

"I'll be back"

Cheers

I have a similar pattern as you guys, just one less application. Last year, was rejected after the interview and this year waitlisted. Don't know if that means anything. As for plans - finishing my degree this summer and then figuring out all my options for the fall. I might live abroad for a few months, learn a new language, get new life experiences - finally get a chance to do other stuff that I haven't been able to do because of school. I also wouldn't mind trying some research, since I am lacking in this area. Anyways, fingers crossed that all the offers to waitlisters goes to those of us here. :D

Yeah I've had a sort-of similar pattern:

1st - rejected

2nd - interview/rejected

3rd - rejected (depressing)

4th - interview/waitlist

I'm not sure what else I can do to strengthen my application. My GPA is just what it is - I've graduated already and I don't want to do a 2nd degree. I've been working as a paramedic the past year which I hoped would help. I was accepted into the advanced care paramedic program for September but I turned it down, I think I just have to do medicine. If I don't get in to UBC, I'm headed to Australia at the University of Queensland. The money will be tough but it's a good school and at least I'll finally get to move forward with my career. I would probably apply one more time - some people leave UQ after the 1st semester if they get into a Canadian school and the university doesn't seem to mind too much.

Good luck everyone and hang in there :)

I have a question... let's say you get into UBC through the waitlist. Will it be for programs that are "less popular"? VFMP I know is extremely popular, and there's even a waitlist for THAT for people who are already accepted this cycle.

So if you come off the waitlist, most likely they're sending you to SMP or NMP right?

I have a question... let's say you get into UBC through the waitlist. Will it be for programs that are "less popular"? VFMP I know is extremely popular, and there's even a waitlist for THAT for people who are already accepted this cycle.

So if you come off the waitlist, most likely they're sending you to SMP or NMP right?

Yes. If you look at last year's waitlist thread, practically everyone offered a spot from the waitlist was accepted to the SMP. I didn't see really anyone post to VFMP, IMP, or NMP.

I would actually love to be accepted to the SMP. :)

Yes. If you look at last year's waitlist thread, practically everyone offered a spot from the waitlist was accepted to the SMP. I didn't see really anyone post to VFMP, IMP, or NMP.

I would actually love to be accepted to the SMP. :)

Me too... Kelowna, PG, Timbuktu... Just make me a doctor! Lol

Just wanted to let you guys know 2 pieces of encouraging news as I know that waiting is tough:

1) I also applied 3 three times: 1 interview and rejection, 1 interview and waitlist and now 1 interview and offer - so maybe there is something to the pattern...

2) I will be turning down my offer (IP) to VFMP today and so that should make someone happy :)

Just wanted to let you guys know 2 pieces of encouraging news as I know that waiting is tough:

1) I also applied 3 three times: 1 interview and rejection, 1 interview and waitlist and now 1 interview and offer - so maybe there is something to the pattern...

2) I will be turning down my offer (IP) to VFMP today and so that should make someone happy :)

Wow congrats on getting in! It certainly does look like there is a pattern! Thanks for letting us know you will be declining - best of luck in your future endeavours! :)

That is really kind of you to let us Limbo-ers know. I'm sure it will absolutely make someone's day, and congrats to you for your successes, Doctor :)

De ja vu, anyone? It feels like the countdown to the 15th all over again!

I agree! But actually not as bad, cause at least you know you won't get a rejection right away. Do you think they'll start sending out offers to waitlisters on the 23rd or will it take a few days to sort everything out?

I agree! But actually not as bad, cause at least you know you won't get a rejection right away. Do you think they'll start sending out offers to waitlisters on the 23rd or will it take a few days to sort everything out?

You're right. Not as bad. I hope they start sending stuff out right away, man. Have any of you applied elsewhere? So far I've only gone for ubc but I'm starting to think I should broaden the net.

Don't you think offers will come after the 23? Since the deadline is the 23rd for them to pay the deposit, you'd think they would take a day to release the first round of offers. I don't know if it feels like May 15th, I've pretty much lost all hope of getting in at this point; I'd be in complete shock if I were to get in. I kind of feel like that beaten up toy a kid tosses around, and then when they are done it gets thrown in the trash. The cycles being the tossed around part, and this second rejection, or however many others have had, being the part where you aren't considered "good enough" so you get thrown away. Kind of depressing!!! :(

Don't you think offers will come after the 23? Since the deadline is the 23rd for them to pay the deposit, you'd think they would take a day to release the first round of offers. I don't know if it feels like May 15th, I've pretty much lost all hope of getting in at this point; I'd be in complete shock if I were to get in. I kind of feel like that beaten up toy a kid tosses around, and then when they are done it gets thrown in the trash. The cycles being the tossed around part, and this second rejection, or however many others have had, being the part where you aren't considered "good enough" so you get thrown away. Kind of depressing!!! :(

Well, I have a good friend with the same application history as me, similar ecs, similar grades, and he was just accepted. I think there are so many people who apply who would make excellent doctors, and simply not enough seats to accommodate. It's hard not to let it get you down, for sure, but all you can do is focus onward and upward, I think.

To that effect, I think I'm gonna redo my mcat if I don't get in this year. Ugh.

I'm declining my UBC IP VFMP seat, so there is another one for the waitlist!

Thanks for letting us now!!! :)

And halfie, yes I agree, there are just too many awesome candidates - but it's still hard not to get down when you've tried at something multiple times and told you aren't good enough. I think I was also being a bit emo - which I'm going to blame on the Vancouver rain coming back! :P

Archived