Premed 101 Forums

Residency in Internal Medicine

Guest HSR07

Guest HSR07

I was just wondering how competitive it is to get into an internal medicine residency? And say, for example, you really want to be a respirologist, how difficult is it to get into the internal subspecialty you want once you're in the program?

In the US, not competitive at all, but in Canada, I think it's relatively competitive (not as competitive as derm, optho, ortho), probably on par with Emerg. To be a pulmonologist, it's usually a three year fellowship after your residency in the US. Not sure how many years it is in Canada since the Internal med residency is longer in Canada.

Guest Ian Wong

Internal Medicine was significantly harder to match into this year; lots more applicants than in previous years. We'll have to wait until the CaRMS match statistics are released to determine the exact numbers though. I don't know anything about Resp, unfortunately.

As far as residency length is concerned, in both Canada and the US, you enter into the Internal Medicine subspecialties after your PGY-3 year. So if you were going into Cardiology, in both Canada and the US, after your PGY-3 year finishes, you start your PGY-4 through PGY-6 years doing the 3-year Cardiology fellowship.

The real difference is in general Internal Medicine. In the US, you can practice as a General Internist after just the three years of residency. In Canada, general Internal Medicine needs 4 years, so you've got to complete a PGY-4 year before you can practice as a General Internist (it'd be like doing a 1 year fellowship in General Internal Medicine).

Therefore, if you went to the US for an Internal Med residency, you couldn't practice in Canada in General IM until you figured out a way to do a PGY-4 year. If you went to the US for an 3-year Internal Med residency, and then stayed there three more years for your Cardiology fellowship, by then you'd have completed 6 years of post-grad training, just like a Canadian cardiologist would do.

I'm not sure in that situation (where you've done the same number of post-grad years as an equivalent Canadian graduate) if your US training would completely transfer back to Canada; you'd have to talk to the Royal College about that.

Ian

Archived