Premed 101 Forums

UdeM or McGill

windrive

McGill= prestige, better if you plan on doing residency out of province or US, heavier on traditional lectures, early clinical exposure

UdeM= problem-based learning, small groups, plan on staying in Qbc for residency

If it were up to me, I would choose based on:

-language preference

-traditional vs PBL teaching

-plans for residency and beyond

That's true, because of the Med-P year, in which you're really not into medecine yet. At UdeM, there's volunteering, but as the prep year is really sciences classes based on the medecine curriculum, we still do it first year :)

I think the first year is the most different. Med-P is more like another year of cégep : you have very few obligatory courses and you can do anthropology, maths... things not related to medecine. The schedule is definitely not full : I saw one and you can make sure you only have 3 days of school (about 15-18h max).

The année prep at UdeM is more medecine intensive, in the sense that the classes are basic sciences tailored on the medical curriculum. And, you have about 25-26 hrs per semester.

So, in one, you have more like a liberal-arts education for one year, and for the other, you're like directly a foot in med school :)

Oh, and the Campus Mauricie at UdeM has gross anatomy on cadavers too :) Renovated anatomy lab and you have access to the plastinated members for studying for your 5 years :) At the Montréal Campus, you can come during the summer I think too!

I think the first year is the most different. Med-P is more like another year of cégep : you have very few obligatory courses and you can do anthropology, maths... things not related to medecine. The schedule is definitely not full : I saw one and you can make sure you only have 3 days of school (about 15-18h max).

The année prep at UdeM is more medecine intensive, in the sense that the classes are basic sciences tailored on the medical curriculum. And, you have about 25-26 hrs per semester.

So, in one, you have more like a liberal-arts education for one year, and for the other, you're like directly a foot in med school :)

Oh, and the Campus Mauricie at UdeM has gross anatomy on cadavers too :) Renovated anatomy lab and you have access to the plastinated members for studying for your 5 years :) At the Montréal Campus, you can come during the summer I think too!

Med-Ps are in the Faculty of Science, it's not a formal acceptance into medicine yet, just conditional. If it wasn't for the government's decree, McGill wouldn't have admitted cegepiens.

Some just want to see patients - not practice. Either way, it wouldn't matter to me, as both clinical exposure programs are volunteering-based : if you already did some volunteering, it's the same thing, except it's a class @ UdM and McGill. :P

The preliminary year @ UdeM gives cegepiens an excellent foundation for med, preparing them far better for the next 4 years.

Boff, ça s'est vraiment TON opinion.

Il en faut pour tous les goûts. Comme certains ont mentionné plus haut, certains étudiants voudront tout de suite être exposés et d'autres non.

Je tiens à te rappeler que les deux universités vont former des médecins compétents et que les étudiants des deux universités apprendront les mêmes choses au cours de leur programme.

C'est précisément pourquoi on donne les pours et les contres pour chacune des université : pour une personne, le pour de quelqu'un peut être son contre et vice-versa (c'est pas très clair comme phrase mais bon ^^). :)

Pour ma part, il y a plein de choses que j'ai dans les deux universités et qui sont presque pareille (côté Campus Mauricie pour UdeM) : petite cohorte, accès aux lab d'anatomie, année préparatoire, exposition clinique... Et ce sont sur les autres critères que ça dépend vraiment, mais alors vraiment de toi (en grande indécise, ce que j'aime de l'UdeM est ce que je n'aime pas de McGill et le contraire est aussi vrai) :P

C'est précisément pourquoi on donne les pours et les contres pour chacune des université : pour une personne, le pour de quelqu'un peut être son contre et vice-versa (c'est pas très clair comme phrase mais bon ^^). :)

Pour ma part, il y a plein de choses que j'ai dans les deux universités et qui sont presque pareille (côté Campus Mauricie pour UdeM) : petite cohorte, accès aux lab d'anatomie, année préparatoire, exposition clinique... Et ce sont sur les autres critères que ça dépend vraiment, mais alors vraiment de toi (en grande indécise, ce que j'aime de l'UdeM est ce que je n'aime pas de McGill et le contraire est aussi vrai) :P

Ca depend aussi dans quelle ville tu te sentiras le plus a l'aise.

Ouf, inquiètes-toi pas, tous leurs amis le savent déjà :P Et tu vois, ville natale = pas d'appart à payer, ce qui est un bon deal en soi XD

Des plans pour qu'on me demande dans les réunions de famille : "Hey, j'ai une tache bizarre sur le bras? Est-ce que j'ai le cancer?" :P

McGill= prestige, better if you plan on doing residency out of province or US, heavier on traditional lectures, early clinical exposure

UdeM= problem-based learning, small groups, plan on staying in Qbc for residency

If it were up to me, I would choose based on:

-language preference

-traditional vs PBL teaching

-plans for residency and beyond

How much of this is actually true? Do UdeM students usually stay in Quebec and McGill students opt more for out of province and the states? (obviously not saying that one is better than another but it's interesting to knw the students career pans afterwards!)