Premed 101 Forums

2013 AMCAS Application Party Thread

A quick question about personal statements and such ... I have read differing opinions on whether to include actual names of hospitals or clinics or instead to say things like : the university sports medicine clinic... instead of the Fowler Clinic.... any thoughts?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A quick question about personal statements and such ... I have read differing opinions on whether to include actual names of hospitals or clinics or instead to say things like : the university sports medicine clinic... instead of the Fowler Clinic.... any thoughts?

I used actual names, as it sounds stronger and not generic. I don't see why you shouldn't since the name of a facility isn't confidential.

I completed my Masters of Science at UBC in a program in the Faculty of Medicine. Therefore, the instructors from my graduate program which know me well are all Faculty of Medicine members. However, most of the American schools require Faculty of Science LORs. Do you think it is okay to use my graduate school instructors for LORs or do I need to get undergraduate instructors? All the courses taken during my graduate degree were science related. I feel that my graduate instructors know me more personally than the undergraduate instructors I had years ago.

Thanks for any input, I assume I may just have to contact each school

I completed my Masters of Science at UBC in a program in the Faculty of Medicine. Therefore, the instructors from my graduate program which know me well are all Faculty of Medicine members. However, most of the American schools require Faculty of Science LORs. Do you think it is okay to use my graduate school instructors for LORs or do I need to get undergraduate instructors? All the courses taken during my graduate degree were science related. I feel that my graduate instructors know me more personally than the undergraduate instructors I had years ago.

Thanks for any input, I assume I may just have to contact each school

American schools are very picky about LORs. I had to e-mail individual schools about meeting their letter requirements. I think you should do the same. I think the majority of them would make exceptions in your case.

Hey Guys

Just a few questions on MCAT.

When must the MCAT test be written by to be able to enter Fall 2013 in the States? Is the last accepted date the 2012 Summer exams (until sept)?

If I wanted to write the MCAT in Jan 2013, will I not be able to release those scores for Fall 2013 entry?

Hey Guys

Just a few questions on MCAT.

When must the MCAT test be written by to be able to enter Fall 2013 in the States? Is the last accepted date the 2012 Summer exams (until sept)?

If I wanted to write the MCAT in Jan 2013, will I not be able to release those scores for Fall 2013 entry?

The last MCAT accepted for 2013 entry is Sept 2012. If you write in Jan 2013, you would have to use those scores for 2014 entry (i.e. the next cycle).

• 3 weeks later...
I submitted my application on june 23rd and it still hasn't been verified so i haven't gotten my secondaries. Is this reason for concern ? I wanted to apply early to increase my chances but im getting increasingly worried.

Start writing the secondaries of schools you applied to. You can find them on SDN.

Then you can submit the secondaries as soon as you DO receive them.

See here to verify with others who have submitted around the same time as you. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=920463&page=12

Remember to add your own data points to that thread!

I submitted my application on june 23rd and it still hasn't been verified so i haven't gotten my secondaries. Is this reason for concern ? I wanted to apply early to increase my chances but im getting increasingly worried.

I wasn't complete until early September and I was fine... so were all the people i know who completed late September (and of course had the resume to get into med in the first place)

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys....I got an interview at Kentucky, still waiting to hear from a bunch of other schools.

I saw someone got an interview at Georgetown (didn't apply there), has anyone heard from anywhere else?

no i haven't yet......

im also applying to kentucky.. do u mind telling me the dates of ur secondary submission and interview invite?

no i haven't yet......

im also applying to kentucky.. do u mind telling me the dates of ur secondary submission and interview invite?

Submitted July 19th, invite July 25th. Super fast response....which made me wonder if I should've heard from schools like SLU, Dartmouth, etc. as I submitted their secondaries a couple weeks before.

Submitted July 19th, invite July 25th. Super fast response....which made me wonder if I should've heard from schools like SLU, Dartmouth, etc. as I submitted their secondaries a couple weeks before.

no i haven't heard from any of the three schools yet.

don't think we need to worry yet lol :D

Kentucky was pretty awesome when I went. If you have some free time, I would check out one of the many horse races that happen there. Look up the football and basketball team if you are into football or basketball - one of my interviewers tried to make small talk on it. Just a heads up, when you go to interview, every interviewee and interviewer will be asked to stand up and introduce themselves.

U Kentucky is one of the most expensive schools to go to. They let you know about acceptances two weeks or a week after you interview. If you do not get accepted - you MUST send updates/letters of interest to the admissions committee if you would like to stand a chance to get on/off the waiting list.

Good luck!

Hey guys....I got an interview at Kentucky, still waiting to hear from a bunch of other schools.

I saw someone got an interview at Georgetown (didn't apply there), has anyone heard from anywhere else?

It will be in front of everyone. I do not remember if you have to stand, but I think you do. Almost everyone said something like: "Hi my name is ....... and I am from the University of ........", and nothing more. I felt like I had to add a little explanation as to where my university is because few would recognize it unless I say something about Canada. Less than 20 people interview with you, so it is not all that bad.

you mean like in front of everyone? like in the beginning or just 1 on 1 :rolleyes:

Yes, they have one. You get to go to classes with the student the Friday before the weekend of your interview. I did not use it.

During the tour, we also saw a robot that transports stuff around the hospital - you should ask your guide about it if it does not show up on yours....beep boop.

Does UK have a student hosting program?

I would rank Hawaii as the # 1 school to go to worldwide. Even if it did not work out, I would be happy to have had a trip to Hawaii. Perhaps you could stay for longer than a couple of nights? - the ticket price should stay the same.

I haven't posted in quite a while but Aug. 9th I got an interview invite to Hawaii, in case anybody else has one there :)

Archived