Premed 101 Forums

2013 AMCAS Application Party Thread

I haven't posted in quite a while but Aug. 9th I got an interview invite to Hawaii, in case anybody else has one there :)

Haha congrats. I had one last year but didn't end up going.

Try to book it around Christmas if you can, it should make for a nice vacation.

They seem to love Canadians

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha congrats. I had one last year but didn't end up going.

Try to book it around Christmas if you can, it should make for a nice vacation.

They seem to love Canadians

Does Hawaii actually like Canadians? I thought that as internationals, you needed strong ties to the state - did you guys have any?

I might consider applying there as well then... that would make a really nice 4 years.

Does Hawaii actually like Canadians? I thought that as internationals, you needed strong ties to the state - did you guys have any?

I might consider applying there as well then... that would make a really nice 4 years.

No ties, just a secondary that emphasized working with undeserved and ethnically diverse populations.

Tuition of 65k+ is not appealing plus an extra strong emphasis on PBL and primary care doesn't help either.

I personally know two Canadians who interviewed there and were accepted.

Weather must be nice though.

No ties, just a secondary that emphasized working with undeserved and ethnically diverse populations.

Tuition of 65k+ is not appealing plus an extra strong emphasis on PBL and primary care doesn't help either.

I personally know two Canadians who interviewed there and were accepted.

Weather must be nice though.

The admissions people were actually really nice, I scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend so it didn't interfere with finals!

• 2 weeks later...
Oh man, I just replied to your other thread about school choices. I guess my reply was too late since you already have decisions. Which schools did you end up applying to?

I ended up applying to 18 total (most are fiercely competitive and Ivy League, so I'm not holding out my hopes, but I did apply here in Canada also):

Albert Einstein,

Baylor,

BostonU,

Case Western (working on secondary),

Columbia,

Dartmouth,

Emory,

Feinberg/Northwestern,

Harvard,

Jefferson,

Johns Hopkins (working on secondary),

Mount Sinai,

Stanford,

UChicago (only one I've heard from),

UCLA (no secondary yet),

UCSF (no secondary yet),

UPenn,

Yale.

• 3 weeks later...

So far, I have submitted secondaries for:

1) Uof Chicago

2) NYMC

3) Penn State (hopefully will get the fourth ref letter in by next week).

4) Michigan State

5) Rosalind Franlin

6) George Washington University.

Also applied to Wayne State, Albany, UKY, Keck School of medicine (Canadians = US apparently according to their website?), Georgetown (0 foreign acceptances, had been one of my top choices before I saw that in their manual), Howard, Case Western, SUNY Upstate and Baylor.

GPA is about a 3.60, and MCAT 33R (13 PS 10 VR R 10 BS) currently doing a research project, about 150+ hours of volunteering at Sick Kids, worked as a volunteer for a community organization providing information on street drugs, volunteered at buskerfest to raise money for epilepsy research and tutored in high school.

Does anyone know how friendly these schools are towards Canadians?

1) Uof Chicago

2) NYMC

4) Michigan State

5) Rosalind Franlin

Also applied to Wayne State, Albany, UKY, Keck School of medicine (Canadians = US apparently according to their website?), Georgetown (0 foreign acceptances, had been one of my top choices before I saw that in their manual), Howard, Case Western, SUNY Upstate and Baylor.

GPA is about a 3.60, and MCAT 33R (13 PS 10 VR R 10 BS) currently doing a research project, about 150+ hours of volunteering at Sick Kids, worked as a volunteer for a community organization providing information on street drugs, volunteered at buskerfest to raise money for epilepsy research and tutored in high school.

U Chicago would be very challenging even for a 3.9/36 American. Keck would be near-impossible for Canadians. You'd have to be a under-represented minority for Howard. Your stats/late application will make Case/Baylor a steep uphill battle. Your application is a little late, but you should be fine for the other schools, and by all means do apply to a few reaches.

U Chicago would be very challenging even for a 3.9/36 American. Keck would be near-impossible for Canadians. You'd have to be a under-represented minority for Howard. Your stats/late application will make Case/Baylor a steep uphill battle. Your application is a little late, but you should be fine for the other schools, and by all means do apply to a few reaches.

UChicago rejected me -- I asked why and haven't received a response. BostonU rejected me also, when asked why they basically just explained how they have way too many good applications and that there was "no single fatal flaw" in my application.. partially good news i guess!

UChicago rejected me -- I asked why and haven't received a response. BostonU rejected me also, when asked why they basically just explained how they have way too many good applications and that there was "no single fatal flaw" in my application.. partially good news i guess!

Have you received interviews anywhere yet?

A bunch of people on SDN recommended I apply for Boston U, not sure how competitive that school is and how friendly they are towards Canadians.

Anyone here have a favourite so far? I'm banking on Michigan State University seeing how they see Canadian applicants as OOS US applicants and they said 3.5 and 30 MCAT is competitive so I'm hoping for the best. Kentucky seems interesting too.

Also submitted Kentucky, Keck (for the hell of it, they probably won't accept me), and Baylor (if I get into Baylor but get rejected from Chicago, Baylor becomes my top choice) today, so officially have 9 secondaries in so far.

Hope to get Wayne SUNY upstate II next week but I have a midterm (CHM220, for anyone from UofT) and CASPer to prepare for. Sigh busy busy.

BU is one of the most applied to schools - over ten thousand applicants, so its hard to know what they screen for - what about u pitt? they like canadians!

I second this sentiment.. Unless you have something unique and are well within their GPA/MCAT range, I'm not sure BU is a great option. seems like they've rejected lots of people. on the other hand, at least the turnaround time was quick!

1) Uof Chicago

2) NYMC

4) Michigan State

5) Rosalind Franlin

I got in off WL last year at Georgetown.

I would definitely add SLU to your list. Accepts many Canadians, and no secondary to write :o

okay i figured i would update on my situation:

Got rejected from Brown last week (to be expected though) and received II from Wayne State today (yay! first one).

all my secondaries were complete ~Sept 10 (it took a while for my last reference letter to get in).

good luck to everybody! i'd be happy to have WS people PM me after I do the interview. if anyone has any reactions to wayne state/detroit, etc. let me know! i've never been to Detroit (or Windsor) before which I feel is a bit of a lack for Wayne State but hopefully I'll be able to explore at least a little bit when I'm down there for the interview.

Archived