Premed 101 Forums

2013 AMCAS Application Party Thread

Yes, I agree with you on the clinical experience aspect. In general, I realize that I had been almost scrambling to pull together some U.S. applications, partially because we have few chances to attend information sessions, receive guidance from "premed committees", or even know anyone who had applied before (for me personally)...The application process itself has been a whole new lesson for me.

I had been confident about my experiences, but just as the time goes by, the feeling of "maybe I am not so unique after all" slips in haha. Especially as a middle-class majority.

I completely understand your feeling -- I'm in much the same boat..and to be honest, I think the lack of clinical experience, in addition to my not-so-stellar GPA of ~3.5 was the two things that killed me at the schools I have already been rejected at. I'm holding out hope that some of the ones that have been handing out rejections to others with similar complete dates, will eventually give me an II.

BTW, the whole US application process is incredibly daunting.. and it seems like there's so much to learn about what and when to do things. For instance, I thought applying at the end of july was "early"... only to find out most people said its best to submit as soon as they opened in early June.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I agree with you on the clinical experience aspect. In general, I realize that I had been almost scrambling to pull together some U.S. applications, partially because we have few chances to attend information sessions, receive guidance from "premed committees", or even know anyone who had applied before (for me personally)...The application process itself has been a whole new lesson for me.

I had been confident about my experiences, but just as the time goes by, the feeling of "maybe I am not so unique after all" slips in haha. Especially as a middle-class majority.

Hey there. Well i wrote the optional essays because I did have something of significance to add that really did influence my pursuit of medicine. I figured I'm applying to these crazy dream schools, I'm going to put everything on the line and hope for the best. I actually submitted my apps pretty late. Primary was verified late Sept, and I submitted my secondaries in Sept (some even before the primary was verified).

the american process is crazy. I didn't actually know what I was getting into until I started the apps. And yes, in Canada, its not really looked upon as good as having clinical shadowing experience while in the states its almost required. I dont know how I managed, but I some how got an interview without an ounce of shadowing, so maybe they are more lienent with Canadians? Not to sure.

Preinterview hold from SUNY so I'm not expecting much. Submitted really late. Like Oct 25.

Got a secondary app from Wayne...still haven't worked on it. Dunno if I should go ahead with it now. 4.0gpa, 31Qmcat. Real late in the game.

Go for it!! Your GPA is amazing - you have nothing to lose. There are many times that I lose hope and want to just give up, but I realize that my desire to attend the school is worth the few difficult days that the secondary would put me through...

Preinterview hold from SUNY so I'm not expecting much. Submitted really late. Like Oct 25.

Got a secondary app from Wayne...still haven't worked on it. Dunno if I should go ahead with it now. 4.0gpa, 31Qmcat. Real late in the game.

Wayne is a semi-non rolling school as well, so you still have a decent shot even thought it would be late for some schools

Are other people still waiting to hear anything from the majority of schools? I applied what I though was pretty early (mid July) and finished all my secondaries by end of aug/beginning of sept but still haven't heard anything from most schools. Is this normal? Just getting a bit concerned since it would be really nice to have some US interviews or hopefully acceptances before the Canadian ones start rolling out. Thanks and good luck to everyone still waiting as well...

P.S. SUNY was the only school that put me on preinterview hold? Anyone experience this before, what are the chances? I'm assuming not good...

Are other people still waiting to hear anything from the majority of schools? I applied what I though was pretty early (mid July) and finished all my secondaries by end of aug/beginning of sept but still haven't heard anything from most schools. Is this normal? Just getting a bit concerned since it would be really nice to have some US interviews or hopefully acceptances before the Canadian ones start rolling out. Thanks and good luck to everyone still waiting as well...

P.S. SUNY was the only school that put me on preinterview hold? Anyone experience this before, what are the chances? I'm assuming not good...

Gizmo, in short. . yes.. many people are still waiting. However, if you had a strongly competitive application, you might've heard already. That's basically what it seems like right now: that on average, schools are working on applications completed in september, unless you 'triggered' something and was a later applicant with, assuming, high GPA and MCAT. note that this is 100% just my opinion from reading forums on SDN.

I agree with everything that bearpuppy said, but hopefully we will hear back from more schools this month.

I have the same hold status as you at SUNY Upstate. While the chances are not good, it's better than a rejection. I read somewhere on SDN that only 10% of the people on hold get an interview, but I don't know if this is true.

P.S: It seems SUNY, like GWU, puts a lot of people on hold =(

Also on pre-interview hold at GWU & Upstate here. I don't think that our chances are very good any more with those 2 schools.

Being international may set us back time-wise since some schools may have to get an extra reviewer for our file. Einstein asks for a passport scan, which takes time to communicate and process.

Upstate now accepts much less Canadians due to a recent policy change. American schools are accepting less internationals in general, evident through significant decreases from last year's MSAR, eg. NYMC in 2011 accepted 5 internationals, where in 2011 the number was 0.

Tl;dr: :( but be worried if you're in the same position by the end of Nov.

Also on pre-interview hold at GWU & Upstate here. I don't think that our chances are very good any more with those 2 schools.

Being international may set us back time-wise since some schools may have to get an extra reviewer for our file. Einstein asks for a passport scan, which takes time to communicate and process.

Upstate now accepts much less Canadians due to a recent policy change. American schools are accepting less internationals in general, evident through significant decreases from last year's MSAR, eg. NYMC in 2011 accepted 5 internationals, where in 2011 the number was 0.

Tl;dr: :( but be worried if you're in the same position by the end of Nov.

That's why it's taking so long to hear back from Einstein ...

btw blizzah, did you write a LOI or no?

Got trolled by UCSF telling me to create an account just to get rejected -____-

On the other hand, interviewed at Dartmouth and WashU, upcoming interview at Harvard, gonna schedule one at BU, and waiting on others... Interviews've been super chill :)

I friggin love WashU omgbbq such an amazing school with an amazingly crappy price tag

Got trolled by UCSF telling me to create an account just to get rejected -____-

On the other hand, interviewed at Dartmouth and WashU, upcoming interview at Harvard, gonna schedule one at BU, and waiting on others... Interviews've been super chill :)

I friggin love WashU omgbbq such an amazing school with an amazingly crappy price tag

Wow congrats zaqwsxmike, looks like you're definitely one of the superstars of this application cycle. I'll be interviewing at Dartmouth - it seems that the interview there is very relaxed, but would you happen to have any helpful tips for that particular school? Thanks in advance.

Wow congrats zaqwsxmike, looks like you're definitely one of the superstars of this application cycle. I'll be interviewing at Dartmouth - it seems that the interview there is very relaxed, but would you happen to have any helpful tips for that particular school? Thanks in advance.

Thanks ny :) I dunno about superstar, considering I was stupid enough to apply for all reach schools... But I digress

As for the interviews, you are competition, and I will tell you nothing. Muahahahah

In all seriousness though, I really can't tell you anything useful to help you prep for the interview that you probably haven't heard already. Everyone walks out of the room thinking they did extremely well, because the format is just so casual and the people so nice. Yet they only accept 87 students out of 1000+ interviews they do; God knows what they look for. So, be yourself, look smart, try to be as interesting and diverse as possible to stand out from the crowd, and don't mention stupid **** like money you'll be making as a doctor.

As a bright note, if you're being interviewed as an international student, you must be pretty excellent already :) I think Dartmouth accepts just under a half of thr internationals they interview (I know they matriculate 1/3, so acceptance should be a little higher than that). Best of luck!

O I should mention that unless you're staying with a student you should arrange for taxis the night before... It is impossible to get a taxi right when you need it. I got a ride to campus with the mechanic from the hotel I was staying at, bless him.

Thanks ny :) I dunno about superstar, considering I was stupid enough to apply for all reach schools... But I digress

As for the interviews, you are competition, and I will tell you nothing. Muahahahah

In all seriousness though, I really can't tell you anything useful to help you prep for the interview that you probably haven't heard already. Everyone walks out of the room thinking they did extremely well, because the format is just so casual and the people so nice. Yet they only accept 87 students out of 1000+ interviews they do; God knows what they look for. So, be yourself, look smart, try to be as interesting and diverse as possible to stand out from the crowd, and don't mention stupid **** like money you'll be making as a doctor.

As a bright note, if you're being interviewed as an international student, you must be pretty excellent already :) I think Dartmouth accepts just under a half of thr internationals they interview (I know they matriculate 1/3, so acceptance should be a little higher than that). Best of luck!

O I should mention that unless you're staying with a student you should arrange for taxis the night before... It is impossible to get a taxi right when you need it. I got a ride to campus with the mechanic from the hotel I was staying at, bless him.

Thanks for your note. Good luck with acceptances & upcoming interviews. Keep us posted!

• 1 month later...
Congrats Bear! It's a terrific school. Best of luck at the interview!

thanks Nychila :).. my only concern is that they've got a 4-year escrow policy.. ouch...

but, either way..i think interviewing here, even if nothing comes from it, would be good practice for when/if I get one at some of the other Canadian (or US) schools I haven't heard from.

Archived