Premed 101 Forums

2013 AMCAS Application Party Thread

that first question.... :confused:

i actually didn't mind the rest of the secondary. i suppose i was just so happy to not have to answer another "what makes you a diverse applicant?" question. and i liked that they gave some choice. also it was one of the last secondaries i did so i was on a roll (i hope) by that point. the first secondary i opened up i just looked at and cried lol. especially when i realized i would have to fill out 5+ of them.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that first question.... :confused:

i actually didn't mind the rest of the secondary. i suppose i was just so happy to not have to answer another "what makes you a diverse applicant?" question. and i liked that they gave some choice. also it was one of the last secondaries i did so i was on a roll (i hope) by that point. the first secondary i opened up i just looked at and cried lol. especially when i realized i would have to fill out 5+ of them.

BTW, kind of at the same stage of things as you are. All my applications were complete sometime in September (AMCAS verified 9/6, complete between 7th and 28th, depending on the school, except still waiting for Johns Hopkins). *Crossing fingers to hear something*

BTW, kind of at the same stage of things as you are. All my applications were complete sometime in September (AMCAS verified 9/6, complete between 7th and 28th, depending on the school, except still waiting for Johns Hopkins). *Crossing fingers to hear something*

good luck! ohhhhhh the waiting. may the odds be ever in our favour...

are you applying in canada as well or just in the US?

Just got my rejected from South California Keck on Friday. Not too surprised.

Come on Michigan State/NYMC/Chicago I'm waiting to hear from you *nervous breakdown*.

Sorry to hear that.. I'm still waiting to hear from a whole bunch of schools.. I'm not sure if this is good news or not -- some are likely 'silent rejections'.. ARGHH!! i'd rather know now what my status is than have to wait till march to find out i got rejected.

Sorry to hear that.. I'm still waiting to hear from a whole bunch of schools.. I'm not sure if this is good news or not -- some are likely 'silent rejections'.. ARGHH!! i'd rather know now what my status is than have to wait till march to find out i got rejected.

Tons of applications they have to go through, some people wait two months or more to hear back on SDN.

And for anyone applying to Wayne State, how did you pay their $50? I'm going to email in my application tomorrow or Tuesday. Can you just write $50 USD on a Canadian check? I'm confused.

Tons of applications they have to go through, some people wait two months or more to hear back on SDN.

And for anyone applying to Wayne State, how did you pay their $50? I'm going to email in my application tomorrow or Tuesday. Can you just write $50 USD on a Canadian check? I'm confused.

Go to the post office and get a money order. They won't take cheques in Canadian funds. There will be a small fee to get the money order but it's by far the easiest way.

rejected from dartmouth on friday :(

oh well i guess.

their rejection email is depressing though. they say at least twice that they know they are writing to tell you "very disappointing news". i would much rather have the standard "we regret to inform you" letter, lol.

Sorry to hear that; I'm sure better news will come if you're patient. Are you applying to Canada as well? Do you prefer to go to the states or stay in Canada?

rejected from dartmouth on friday :(

oh well i guess.

their rejection email is depressing though. they say at least twice that they know they are writing to tell you "very disappointing news". i would much rather have the standard "we regret to inform you" letter, lol.

hi shadows.. I'm also waiting on dartmouth.. when were you complete there?

nychila: thanks. yeah i'm also applying in canada. i'd prefer to stay in canada because of cost and wanting to do my residency here and liking our health care system more than the US's. therefore a lot of reasons. in retrospect i probably wouldn't shouldn't have applied to the states.... oh well, learning experience! if i only got in in the US i'd be thrilled to go there, though!

canadian schools i've applied to: calgary (IP), alberta (IP), mcmaster (IP), queens, u of t, and western.

bearpuppy: i was complete at dartmouth around sept 10th ish. i checked over at studentdoctor and it sounds like there was a wave of rejections at the end of last week. good luck!

nychila: thanks. yeah i'm also applying in canada. i'd prefer to stay in canada because of cost and wanting to do my residency here and liking our health care system more than the US's. therefore a lot of reasons. in retrospect i probably wouldn't shouldn't have applied to the states.... oh well, learning experience! if i only got in in the US i'd be thrilled to go there, though!

canadian schools i've applied to: calgary (IP), alberta (IP), mcmaster (IP), queens, u of t, and western.

bearpuppy: i was complete at dartmouth around sept 10th ish. i checked over at studentdoctor and it sounds like there was a wave of rejections at the end of last week. good luck!

ahh okay.. well, sorry to hear about your rejection -- I was complete 9/11 and am apparently still in the running. however, must say, i'm glad that dartmouth is not doing silent rejections like some other schools do.

ahh okay.. well, sorry to hear about your rejection -- I was complete 9/11 and am apparently still in the running. however, must say, i'm glad that dartmouth is not doing silent rejections like some other schools do.

thanks. but i'm too worried about it ~yet~ at least. i'm just anticipating to get rejected at most of the US schools to which i applied. hurts less that way ;)

silent rejections are not cool though. how much effort does it take to press a button that auto-generates rejection emails to rejected applicants? i am not that great with technology and i'm pretty sure even i could figure that out.... after paying 100+ bucks to submit a secondary, they could at least extend the courtesy of a rejection email!

I have not heard back from ANY schools...It is just getting extremely nerve-wraking...Would you guys think it would still be worth a shot to apply to a few extra schools (with later primary deadlines) at this point?

Also, does anyone know if I should write letters of interest to admissions offices to remind them about my application?

I have not heard back from ANY schools...It is just getting extremely nerve-wraking...Would you guys think it would still be worth a shot to apply to a few extra schools (with later primary deadlines) at this point?

Also, does anyone know if I should write letters of interest to admissions offices to remind them about my application?

Lara1: When were you verified?

Also, LOI work in some instances, but you should give it at least a month wait after being marked complete, or in absence of a complete notification, submitting the secondary. Also, make sure you have a really good reason for the LOI, or an update.

Depends on how much confidence you can reasonably expect for your application. It would only be completely unpredictable if you have red flags.

What's your GPA, MCAT, unique/average/poor activities, and what schools did you apply to?

Lara1: When were you verified?

Also, LOI work in some instances, but you should give it at least a month wait after being marked complete, or in absence of a complete notification, submitting the secondary. Also, make sure you have a really good reason for the LOI, or an update.

^Thanks for your insight! My secondaries for various schools have been completed from end of August to early October...Yeah, I probably do not enough reason to write something yet. A lot of schools asked "why are you interested in us" and I probably will just rehash what I already submitted...:(

Depends on how much confidence you can reasonably expect for your application. It would only be completely unpredictable if you have red flags.

What's your GPA, MCAT, unique/average/poor activities, and what schools did you apply to?

3.93; sGPA 4.00; 34S...I feel positive about my ECs, but what I am concerned about is a, in retrospect, cheesy primary personal statement...I applied to some of the Ivys, Emory and GW. I guess my MCAT could be the "red flag" for the first tier schools...

3.93; sGPA 4.00; 34S...I feel positive about my ECs, but what I am concerned about is a, in retrospect, cheesy primary personal statement...I applied to some of the Ivys, Emory and GW. I guess my MCAT could be the "red flag" for the first tier schools...

Those are good scores (although higher MCAT averages are common at those schools, check MSAR or USNews for information), so you should have a chance. Remember though, that some of the top tiers are really looking for something "special".. not just grades and MCAT, or great volunteerism. Also, I don't know what your clinical-related ECs are, but this is one area where Canadians are at a disadvantage, because it is uncommon here to be allowed to shadow physicians or have similar types of volunteering. Lastly, depending on the schools (for instance, Yale and Stanford come to mind), they also want to see that you have great research abilities.

And finally, as far as some of those go, they don't decide until March.. rejection or otherwise... Also, I know that both Dartmouth and Stanford has been handing out rejections.. so if you haven't heard anything you might still be okay for now.

Hey Lara, Your MCAT score shouldn't really flag you. I have something around the same and got an invite to an ivy. They are really just looking for different people, so a lot of it is if you fit into their culture. They LOVE diversity. Did you end up writing the optional secondary essays for schools like Yale, Harvard and columbia?

Hey Lara, Your MCAT score shouldn't really flag you. I have something around the same and got an invite to an ivy. They are really just looking for different people, so a lot of it is if you fit into their culture. They LOVE diversity. Did you end up writing the optional secondary essays for schools like Yale, Harvard and columbia?

Woah, congratulations for your interview opportunity!!! You must be so thrilled!

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Now I feel more comfortable with my MCAT stats and how they may be viewed by the more prestigious schools! On a separate note, I unfortunately have not written a single optional essay...Hehe I guess there is nothing I can do now except to wait. Did you find doing them helpful? When did you finish your primary and secondaries?

Those are good scores (although higher MCAT averages are common at those schools, check MSAR or USNews for information), so you should have a chance. Remember though, that some of the top tiers are really looking for something "special".. not just grades and MCAT, or great volunteerism. Also, I don't know what your clinical-related ECs are, but this is one area where Canadians are at a disadvantage, because it is uncommon here to be allowed to shadow physicians or have similar types of volunteering. Lastly, depending on the schools (for instance, Yale and Stanford come to mind), they also want to see that you have great research abilities.

And finally, as far as some of those go, they don't decide until March.. rejection or otherwise... Also, I know that both Dartmouth and Stanford has been handing out rejections.. so if you haven't heard anything you might still be okay for now.

Yes, I agree with you on the clinical experience aspect. In general, I realize that I had been almost scrambling to pull together some U.S. applications, partially because we have few chances to attend information sessions, receive guidance from "premed committees", or even know anyone who had applied before (for me personally)...The application process itself has been a whole new lesson for me.

I had been confident about my experiences, but just as the time goes by, the feeling of "maybe I am not so unique after all" slips in haha. Especially as a middle-class majority.

Archived