Premed 101 Forums

2013 AMCAS Application Party Thread

I know this is probably posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Do you know how long it takes for transcripts to be marked as received on AMCAS? My transcript was mailed on May 28, 2012 and it has not shown up as received.

Thanks

have the same issue.. mine was sent june 1.. shows as not received...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might make sense not to submit to schools requiring a high MCAT just yet though. Add those schoolsonce your great MCAT comes back

Many posters have recommended this, but wouldn't we be behind for those higher-tier schools which we have submitted later? Ideally, considering that our upcoming MCAT isn't terrible, we would maximize our chances at high, mid, & low-tiers. Thanks.

Many posters have recommended this, but wouldn't we be behind for those higher-tier schools which we have submitted later? Ideally, considering that our upcoming MCAT isn't terrible, we would maximize our chances at high, mid, & low-tiers. Thanks.

I only recommend this because if you tank the MCAT and get a lower mark, then you save money by not having applied to those higher-tier schools.

If you are confident or are willing to take that risk, then by all means apply everywhere at first. Note that schools like Yale and Harvard are non-rolling anyways so applying early doesn't really help.

You can submit your application now without a MCAT score. Might make sense not to submit to schools requiring a high MCAT just yet though. Add those schoolsonce your great MCAT comes back :)

In the meantime, you can start pre-writing secondary passages for the schools you will be applying to for sure. (Get these off SDN). That way, once your MCAT score is back, you have your secondary ready to submit and you basically have missed no time at all!

Thanks Blizzah.

Great idea with combining the transcript awards into one entry:).

Do you guys have the same problem on the AMCAS work/activities section in the event description box? When I type to the end of each line, the words at the end of the line are not visible. When I copy and paste the text into Notepad or Word, all the text is there. Is this just on my computer?

Thanks

Great idea with combining the transcript awards into one entry:).

Do you guys have the same problem on the AMCAS work/activities section in the event description box? When I type to the end of each line, the words at the end of the line are not visible. When I copy and paste the text into Notepad or Word, all the text is there. Is this just on my computer?

Thanks

I noticed that too. I had to go back to my entries and re-enter the last few bits.

Did anyone else apply to Rosalind Franklin Medical School because when I called them, they mentioned that I need to get my University transcript verified by WES and send that in to them by mail. Is this what others have done? It seems weird to need to do an equivalency evaluation for a renowned Canadian University like the University of Toronto.

Hi guys, just submitted my AMCAS application....now waiting on secondaries...has anyone received them already from any school or do US schools generally open them up later in the summer?

AMCAS doesn't release data to the schools until June 29th, that will be the earliest anyone receives any.

I'm sure I should have figured this out - but can I get my transcripts sent to amcas before completing the application?

I'm not quite ready to send everything in but want to get the verification process going.

Yes, if you have started your application then you can go ahead and send your transcripts. The application needs to be started in order to print out the "Transcript Request Form", which is sent (by your university) along with your transcripts to AMCAS.

Hey do you guys know if physiology professors would be considered as biology professors for the letters of recommendation? (for the schools that need a letter from a biology, chemistry, or physics professor)

I don't think there's a universal answer, as all the schools seem to be different. I have called many of them about this very thing - many have said that physiology would be acceptable - but Emory was very clear that it was not okay. Lots of schools said you would need to include a letter explaining why you chose to ask someone outside the regular sciences for an lor. hope that helps!

Hey guys,

Long time Canadian poster, now applying to the States!

I'm just compiling my list of schools now. I'm going through some sources to pick a comprehensive and realistic list but I was wondering - what schools do you plan to apply to (or is this type of info rather secretive, lol) ? I don't want to apply to schools where I have no chance of getting in.

I'm primarily using the information on the AMCAS website to make my list of schools.

Cheers! :)

Hey guys,

Long time Canadian poster, now applying to the States!

I'm just compiling my list of schools now. I'm going through some sources to pick a comprehensive and realistic list but I was wondering - what schools do you plan to apply to (or is this type of info rather secretive, lol) ? I don't want to apply to schools where I have no chance of getting in.

I'm primarily using the information on the AMCAS website to make my list of schools.

Cheers! :)

Welcome! Sorry McMaster didn't work out for you (been following the waitlist thread for a friend of mine).

For schools to choose: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065

Guide on US schools: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59122

Other than that, get started ASAP if you haven't already- send your transcript with the transcript request form from the application- ASAP.

For schools, the thread above and MSAR will help you in choosing... other than than that, you can browse the accepted/rejected thread and mdapplicants.com and try to compare your stats and see which schools you have a chance at.

Welcome! Sorry McMaster didn't work out for you (been following the waitlist thread for a friend of mine).

For schools to choose: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065

Guide on US schools: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59122

Other than that, get started ASAP if you haven't already- send your transcript with the transcript request form from the application- ASAP.

For schools, the thread above and MSAR will help you in choosing... other than than that, you can browse the accepted/rejected thread and mdapplicants.com and try to compare your stats and see which schools you have a chance at.

Excellent, thanks! I'm getting started now.

I have another query though : Most schools seem to list the words "Canadian citizen." Is anyone aware of whether they also interview Permanent Residents? I am not yet a citizen so I might have to email every single school to verify this...

I noticed that too. I had to go back to my entries and re-enter the last few bits.

Just to let you guys know, I contacted AMCAS about this issue and it is because I am using Firefox. If I open my application on Internet Explorer, than all the words are visible in the description box. So if you put in extra spaces on Firefox, you might want to check to make sure there are not extra spaces between words on Internet Explorer. Hope that helps

I still have to take physics this fall and when I checked on Amcas it had astronomy under the physics category. Does anyone know if that means astronomy counts as a first year physics requirement? I'm taking it postbac at ryerson or York, and physics isn't my best subject!

I still have to take physics this fall and when I checked on Amcas it had astronomy under the physics category. Does anyone know if that means astronomy counts as a first year physics requirement? I'm taking it postbac at ryerson or York, and physics isn't my best subject!

unfortunately, I don't believe it does... some schools specifically outline physics with a lab inclusive of the topics of force, thermodynamics etc.

Some just say physics with a lab component... I took a lot of astronomy courses because I think it's super interesting and even though it's under the category physics, I don't think it actually makes the pre-req!

You can always email a few school's and see!

hey guys just a question re: transcript request forms. for CDN schools where we usually order transcripts online through the student centre (ie for submitting to OMSAS etc), is there any way to include the AMCAS transcript request form as well to be sent along with the transcript? Just wondering if its possible to do online or if you had to manually call/email the registrars office the AMCAS form with explicit instructions to attach.

hey guys just a question re: transcript request forms. for CDN schools where we usually order transcripts online through the student centre (ie for submitting to OMSAS etc), is there any way to include the AMCAS transcript request form as well to be sent along with the transcript? Just wondering if its possible to do online or if you had to manually call/email the registrars office the AMCAS form with explicit instructions to attach.

I asked AMCAS this question and they said that the inclusion of the request form is optional. You can ask your institution to mail the sealed transcript without the request form. That's how I did it and all my transcripts were received by AMCAS. Just make sure you tell your institution about the correct mailing address.

Archived